• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 09, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael,

Are you sure that the coil is getting power while the engine is cranking?

Allen, you may type faster, but we are thinking alike!

boots, check the wire between the points and coil. I've seen then get a bare spot and ground out the system.

On an 82 series do you check the hy-tran warm or cold? And i assume the only way to fill it is through the check tube.

Does anyone kow of a place to buy an aftermarket cylinder for a 42" blade.

Steven B

for the angle cylinder , put an add in the parts wanted section. I bought mine from the For sale section a few weeks ago.

I check my hytran with the dip stick and fill it there in my 82 series. It is a pain to fill ,because it will burp back and spew hytran all over BTDT.

Rob N.-

Are you using the service manual to guide your disassembly and reassembly? If not, you need to be so you don't mess something up. There's a couple of 'gotchas' in there, like that second pin that you'll drive through the case if you don't know what you are doing.

Matt Gonitzke

Even the manual that I had did not mention the pins as to how to remove them.When I used a pin punch on mine I did take some time to have a look to see what was up . good thing I did because I could have done some damage for sure. I all ways try to read 3x and move slowly with lots of pictures to help with the reassembly.

Don-

Were you using an MTD tractor manual or an IH one? IIRC one has it and one doesn't, but I can't remember which. It's been too long.

EDIT: Try the 1x8/9, QL manual in the 'manuals' section...page 2-48 shows the proper way to remove them. It doesn't scream warnings about punching it through the housing, but you'll probably see why it's possible after reading it.

Rob N,

I've seen Hydro units both ways. I suspect later Hydro units have two pins on the trunnion side and the squash plate had the pin hole drilled all the way through. As Matt recommended, you need to be careful driving the pins through so you don't punch a hole in the aluminum hydro housing. You need to turn it rotate the trunnion so the pin hole is not perpendicular to the back of the hydro housing. Hope that helps.

Hydro pins,

IIRC, you don't drive both of them all the way out....you drive them in until one is centered in the shaft and the other is in the cast iron swash plate, then slide the shaft out. There is a very specific procedure that I advise you follow per the manual.

Latest posts

Back