• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 09, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrawderman

displayname
Andrew Strawderman
Hey guys, I was looking through the vault, and I was wondering if the old archives of "cool ih cub cadets" was in there and where?

Lucas,
That is the easy part of the job,now getting that s/g pulley off may be a bigger problem,then again the 72 that I just fixed the gov gear in the po used anti seize on the pulley.
1AA_dance2.gif

Good evening all,

Well over the weekend I got the 125 put back together. Fired it back up and now have both forward and reverse!
buttrock.gif

I took it for a test drive in the back yard and got about 3/4 of the way around the house and it died. After a bit of investigation I discovered that some rust scale from the gas tank had clogged up the petcock valve. Looks like the vibration from the engine is shaking loose any left over rust as it runs. I cleaned out the petcock and sediment bowl and probably will have to do this for a few runs on the tractor, but everything else seems to be running great!

Thanks for all the help and advice getting it going. Much appreciation to all.

Brent

Ray M.
That's a loaded question, LOL
Depending on what your plowing with, the setup of your plow/sleeve hitch/tire configuration and conditions of the dirt your turning.
It can vary from tractor to tractor.
Personally I prefer floating, they are a little more forgiving if you plant the plow into a rock or a hard spot.
If you have everything set up right, static straps work just as well as floating though.
Static straps do help with a certain amount of down pressure if your plow isn't setup just right.
That's my 3 cents on the deal.
Unless your related to Nate and it doesn't matter!
234125.jpg

Kent Shultz

I see a cylinder in front there , but the shaft looks small for a power angle . I just installed power angle on my 42" blade ,but will have it installed on my 54" blade for next year. It is buried in my Cub storage building now and to hard to dig out. I can tell you it is some nice not having to get off the tractor to move the blade by hand . The 6" of snow I did use the blade on went much faster getting the snow moved. I did use slip plate I got from Charlie and that makes a big difference in how the snow is moved. Have a great day

Brent, good to hear that you now have both forward and reverse working. Bummer about the gas tank, rather common issue with an old metal tank though. There is an entry, #85, in Charlie's CubFAQ on cleaning out a gas tank using muriatic acid. I used this method to clean out one of my tanks a few years back and it does work quite well.

Andrew, I believe some of the archived photos from the "Cool IH Cub Cadets..." forum went away some time back. Not sure what happened. Is there something in particular that you were looking for? I may have photos of it in my archive.

Kent, looking good!

Well son-of-a-biscuit! When I bought that cylinder I was told that it was for a Blade and not the lift. What size diameter is the rod?

Kent, it looks like the correct cylinder to me.
dunno.gif
Here are some photos from the archives for comparison:

234134.jpg

234135.jpg

234136.jpg

234137.jpg

Kent Shultz

I thought the shaft of the cylinder looked thiner than the one I have.Must just be the picture I see on this old confuser.

234140.jpg

This shaft is 1 1/8 " thick .

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

Looking at the second picture you posted the shaft does not look as thick as the one I posted ! Could it be possible IH made more than on cylinder shaft size? if you notice the area of the cylinder shaft as it relates to the cylinder itself there is a big difference in that area. please enlighten me on this.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don T/Kent S,

Both are correct. There were two cylinder versions for the power angle assist on front mounted blades. The small diameter ram shaft was the first version put out by IH. The heavier duty larger ram shaft was introduced later by CC due to the shafts getting bent on the smaller cylinder rams when they hit a solid object hidden in the snow or when pushing snow piles at "Ramming Speeds."

Kent Shultz
I just found a dead battery so I can not show you with a picture . But you should be fine if your not to rough when you operate the blade. I guess I was just lucky when I bought this from Hydro Harry that it was the heaver type. I did Waite a long time till I saw one for sale.My next want is the hyd pump for my 125 . I`am looking for a good price because shipping to here is many $$$$.
old.gif

Kent,

I had the smaller 5/8" cylinder on my custom 58" blade for several seasons with no issues. Just watch hooking something on the left front edge when the blade is angled all the way to the right.

I used "ramming speed"(think "Animal House"
happy.gif
happy.gif
) many times on the 5/8" cylinder with no ill affects...just use caution for stationary objects....

Hyd. Angle - NOTE TO ALL

Regardless of the cylinder size, high speed use (snow removal) will cause the bracket bolts (both ends of the cylinder) to loosen over time, especially the 2 smaller bolts on the blade quadrant (front end). Sloppy connections can magnify shock loads and lead to increased likelyhood of cylinder/bracket damage.

Check these bolts several times a season, and use good GR 5 or 8 hardware drawn up tight.

No Kraig, It wasn't anything specific, I just like looking at things people did to their cub cadets, but thanks.

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow"

I used all grade 8 bolts and my air impact and drew everything up tight when I installed the cylinder. But I know you can break anything if you try . I need to get my 14 ft flat deck registered for 2012 so I can get some welding done. i need a 1782 sub frame change to work on my diesel and the 450 snow blower needs some welding done. I have a single IH snow blower here that had the mounting bracket cut by the PO. so I have lots to do to my fleet.Now I`am looking at a 350 dodge ram diesel dual 4x4 6 speed loaded for trailer duties (fiver).So much to do and so little time lol.
old.gif

Latest posts

Back