• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 02, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris,
A few tips for getting good performance out of your snow thrower.
1) Keep the belt tight
2) Keep the thrower as full as possible. Make the engine work but do not lug it down much.
3) Keep the chute as straight up as possible.

I have a QA42A on my 1650 and it will only throw the slushy stuff about 6-8', wet snow about 10-15', and the dry powder about 20-25'. Now the powder we had New Year's eve and the wind that I had, I think some of it may have went about a 1/4 mile before it stopped. I do know that with those 16 horses pulling, you can smoke a belt in a hurry if it is not kept tight enough.

Dale, here's some more of the QA42 right after I finished the refurb, just to help get you motivated. Oh and two before the refurb.
happy.gif

74690.jpg

74691.jpg

74692.jpg

74693.jpg

74694.jpg

74695.jpg

74696.jpg

74697.jpg

Kraig - For your auger to be caught in the chain it would have had to have rusted out or ripped the weld on the end of the flight loose and then bent it back ... you sure it's in the chain ? You blowing bricks ?

Kevin, most likely your chain jumped off the sprocket THEN caught on the auger......

Maybe , I read it this morning then went to town to pick up some parts so it's been a while since I read it ... CRS ya know !

<font color="0000ff">I'm still confused over Kendell's TD40 ...</font>

While we are talking (and lurking) about snow throwers, does anyone know where to purchase a universal joint kit for the drive shaft for a QA42?? I discovered a NLA from the electronic CC site and contacted one of the above sponsors with no luck. Any suggestions??

Thomas, Hmmm, it doesn't come up as NLA for me? Try part# 124348-R91.

Kraig,
I have the same part# from the cc site however for some reason I could not get that item into my cart. So I called and spoke with a real person whom told me it was NLA. What now??? Thanks for your response.

Hmmm, it loaded just fine into my cart. But then the person behind the counter might know better. All I can suggest is that you contact more of the sponsors and/or call around to a few different dealers and see if any have one in stock. I guess I should take better care of the spare QA snowthrowers I have setting around.
blush.gif

BTW, when I searched that part number 4 different hits came up (where used)........ and two different parts IH-124348-R91 and plain 124348-R91.......

Thanks for the responses Kraig and Ken. I think it's still on the sproket but I'll get a better look tonight. It was 5:30 this morning when it happened and I didn't have time to look too closley other than to see the chain stuck on the auger. Bent the last wing pretty good. This happend while I was out by the road in front of the mail box so I think it picked up some loose gravel and caused the chain to deflect lateraly enough to get caught by the auger. No bricks though! Could be the chain was too loose also.

Kraig-
I've said it before, and I'll say it again..

Nice job on the snowblower!
thumbsup_old.gif

Did you end up replacing the warning decal on the backside of the chute angle piece?

If not, how the HECK are you able to keep your fingers out of the snowblower when it's running??!?!?!?!?
wedgie.gif

<font size="-2">Just a little "warning sticker" humor for ya folks....</font>

Art, thank you!
happy.gif
I have not replaced any of the decals on it. I have thought of having some made up by Chris Weber at Whiplash Design in Somerset. I had Chris make some decals for one of our products where I work and I was very pleased with his work. I think the warning decals are still available but the decal on the ends of the auger housing I have never been able to find.

74703.jpg

KENtucky, oops!
blush.gif

74704.jpg

Art, I did salvage the 2 warning decals for reference and I have another QA42, or 2, that have mostly intact decals on the auger housing ends for reference.
happy.gif

74706.jpg

74707.jpg

Art, BTW, it's a snow<blink>thrower</blink>.......
bottom.gif

Chris,

Snow THROWERS like to EAT, they are hungry and want as much material as they can get just as fast as they can get it. To make them work their best they must be kept 100% full. Tighten up the belt, open up the chute, and then feed it until one of 3 things happens....

1) It plugs 2) The belt/clutch slips 3) The engine almost dies

....then back off just a little bit. Don't be afraid to make the Kohler bark at you, lug it down some and watch the snow fly.

Everyone else is correct with their tips, I just wanted to specifically point out that they must be kept FULL for best performance.

(I push my 42" hard enough to make the Mag 18 in my 782 lug and bark at me......)

Back