• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 02, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtatchell

displayname
graeme k tatchell
74666.jpg

74667.jpg

74668.jpg

its windy and cold here, we had a little dusting of the white stuf 4". i think i will have to use the 149 with the back blade to clean the drive. I have got to get adhesive to replace my break pads on the 149 and want to clean the carb and put in a kit.149 is getting a lot of attention and is gust about finished and next paint. later guys DonT

Last week, I bladed off around 3" of the predicted 5 to 7" we were supposed to get. Yesterday, I moved about 5" (drifts about 14") of the predicted 1 to 1 1/2". I guess it about averages out.

Kraig:
I vote for the TD40 ..........
Graeme: Is that sunrise or sunset ??

Got my wish overnight - we'll see how the QA-42 does on about 5 inches of powder as far as launching (Gonna put a face shield on !). I'm starting to think that ONE of the two Cub's may get a cab by next winter.

hope this is allright to post!my last order of Cub parts!
]
74683.jpg

Don, that is a Cub Cadet part and is completely on topic. My last post was on the questionable side (understatement) and Charlie might not be happy with me.
bottom.gif

Kraig:
Thought you were lookin' at Craig Morgan's site.. It was B Watson... If ya get a chance, some good lookin' Red Power in the contest entries on Craig Morgan's website..
I like your pics of the track layer, too..

Graeme, are those your granddaughters? They look tired.....
clown.gif
Nice sunrise/set photo!

Kraig, What mods did you make to get the blower to throw so far? I actually sandblasted the chute before painting the graphite paint of it. The auger seems to spin freely as well.

Chris, no mods. Just a tired high hour 12hp in a Cub Cadet 125 running a stock QA42. All I did was refurbish the QA42 by taking it down to bare metal with a 4.5" angle grinder with sanding discs and wire cup brushes. Then I repainted it with <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> white paint (actually Fleet Farm rattle can in IH white
blush.gif
) then painted it with brushed on coat of graphite paint. I coated the inside of the auger housing and the discharge chute. When I had it apart I replaced the bearings on the auger and the two needle bearings, (one on each side of the sprocket end of the driveshaft) and I inspected the 90° gearbox, gears and bearings were OK so I just replaced the grease. The U-joint bearings appeared to be in good condition so I did not replace them. Perhaps your belt is just slipping?
dunno.gif

74685.jpg

74686.jpg

74687.jpg

74688.jpg

Kraig -- What a great job on the thrower

A great picture. Sort of what I want mine to look like by next fall.

Can you comment on how many hours you guess you put into the project? I know it could run many more depending upon facilities, time to work constantly, tools, energy, wife's distractions, work, etc. but offhand, are you looking at twenty? thirty? total.

How much does the chute angle effect throwing performance? Mine was all the way down.

KRAIG - Don't know why Charlie would be upset with a crawler pic on the forum....There's one on the Home Page!
dunno.gif

Speaking of Red Power....Anyone else on here get the magazine? If not it's really worth the $$$.

Since snowthrowers seem to be the topic, has anybody ever had the auger snag the chain? I don't know why but this morning mine did. Haven't taken it apart yet but for some reason the auger got caught on the chain. I couldn't turn the auger in either direction.

Chris-

A lot. Put it all the way up. With it all the way down, you're practically trying to throw the snow around a right angle. Also, make sure your tractor is running at 3600 rpm, the 1450 I had my thrower on last year probably wasn't at 3600 rpm, because I'm getting better performance with the 1512, which I'm pretty sure still has the original throttle setting from the factory.

Dale, thanks for the nice comments.
happy.gif
I did that back in 2000, I forget how many hours it took, I don't think it was all that many, if I have to guess I'd say under 20 hours. I did it in November so I had to hurry to get it done before the snow fell.
yikes.gif
The main tool you will need is an angle grinder and a wire cup brush and sanding discs. No fancy stuff needed. I have an unheated garage so I used a heat gun, a small 1500 watt electric space heater, a couple of 500watt halogen work lights to heat the metal before I painted it. I got the metal somewhere between warm and hot to the touch then I sprayed the paint. I must say that it worked very well, almost like baking the paint on. After 7 years of use it has held up very well. FWIW, the photo of the snowthrower was taken right after I finished the refurbish, the 3 of it in operation were taken in March of 2006.
happy.gif

Chris, I leave mine all the way up, it doesn't work very well in the down position. You may have figured out your performance issue! Best thing to do is experiment with different settings. I did and found that it works far away best in the fully up position.

Ol Pops is havin fun!!
bouncy.gif
Here at the hospital the 3206 started having a serious problem yesterday. So the young guys said now what do we do?

Well brought ol Gus (1650) into work its a 1976 with a 1972 (I think) 42 inch snowblade and me a 1950 model. Told the young uns to stand back and this old crew will get er done! Wind chill at -10 no cab and they have nooooo idea how much fun I am having.

Glad I am the boss. LOL

Pops

That sounds about right ... the BOSS always hogs the good jobs !

Back