Archive through February 26, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaton

displayname
Todd Heaton
Some more progress on the 147 teardown. Steering wheel off, hydro lever, dash pedestal, footrest supports, lift rockshaft, rearend, then I ran into a frozen rollpin/solid pin (couldnt tell to cruded up) in the front axle pivot pin. I will soak it with some PB blaster and try again in a couple days. The wiring fell apart when touched at the point under the dash in the first pic.
115363.jpg

115364.jpg

115365.jpg

That looks familiar my 125 looked just like that about three month's ago. You are at the best part. It all cost $$$ from her!
greenthumb.gif

Mike M., thanks for cheering me up!
bash.gif

I don't forsee this refurb costing as much as my 128 overhaul. I see more labor time...

Found this 129? at a friend's mini junkyard. I don't know anything about it except that it appears unmolested. Straight tin, hydro lift and a sleeve hitch that looks like it was never used. Thinking of making an offer, maybe see if it runs.

115369.jpg

115370.jpg

jeff C.....that there is a 125 that you are showing us, and it has the hydro lift, a nice little extra....

Thanks for pinning down the model. I don't know the older models very well, and thought I'd be able to read it in the pic when I got home. Dang lousy cell pic!

Jeff C., nice save on the 125! Even has lights which were an option on the 125 as was the hydraulic lift. However, the decal around the lights is the wrong one, looks to be a decal for a 1x2/3 series.

Scott, if that steering wheel/column was mine I'd cut the shaft off just under the steering wheel and drive the remains of the shaft out of the steering wheel. I had to do that to the steering wheel in my Original then I just bought a complete used steering column.

Marlin, yes, that is Dennis Frisk in the photos. His 72 has got to be the most customized 72 on the planet! Custom fenders, headlights, rear lights, rear lift, grill, and since those photos were taken I believe Denny has made a custom fuel tank and some other custom parts.

Kraig: "wrong decal" -- that's a low blow! (what about the seat?) Where's the pic of the "correct police tractor"?
Jeff: Around here, that's a $600 tractor!
Don T: Nothing like a couple nice days to get the old juices flowing again:
115374.jpg

115375.jpg

They both have been outside all winter and (with a boost) started right up and drove right in. Both of them have Greg Edward's carb rebuilds, I might add.
Somebody (me, I guess) has to give Charlie credit (or question his sanity) for moving North in Minnesota this winter.
Have a great weekend, y'all!
groupwave.gif
(The prisoner was the man's son).

Marlin; We will have to see what works out first. Thanks.
Luther

Todd,

You got me itching to get started on my 147 refurb. Looks like you're making great progress. I've been waiting for some warmer weather - and some space in my garage since my son has been working on replacing a clutch and engine on his Explorer.

Frank C i see a can of refreshment there on that 123. looks like the Alexander Keiths (Canadian Beer). i thought you would have drank that all buy now
clappy.gif
. Kind a looks like a trip to Maine will take place soon. A friend here has a car they drove over her for the USA and i has to go back to the border to get the title changed. So my D ram and the car trailer will be coming over so the gents at the border will fill out the proper paper work and then drag it back here to Canadian Tire for inspection. Can`t buy insurance to drive it till this is all done.I have hope that i might be able to get a 782D over there and have a free trip for me. 8 cubs now and well a D would be nice to have
draw.gif
. Have to go buy a length of 3/16 med carb spring stock (round) for the 129 and 149 for hood hold down springs. Local blacksmith will bend them a make me some new refab springs for my cubs. If this turns out good and the jig he made works i`ll make 10 sets and send Charlie some . he might like that lol. Have a great cub day. Later Don T
Weather guesser say SNOW here for the next 3 days

MARLIN - I just saw Your request for pic's of my hitch on the other page. Kraig gives Me way too much credit. I'm just a Guy that's owned a CC WAY too many years and tried to do WAY too many things with it and happens to have a shop full of scrap iron and a welder and makes "STUFF". Plus I'm too cheap to always buy the "Right Parts" so I make something. Lot of the stuff on there was made before Al Gore invented the Internet and this forum was available. The fuel tank Kraig mentions has been removed, It was great while it lasted, held almost 3 gallons of gas, drained all the gas down to the last drop, had a fill opening 3" in diameter so no funnel needed but a bracket fatigued and broke and I decided to replace it with the plastic replacement gas tank from Kohler and rebuild the custom tank from scratch. Son & I have way too much $$$$ in the custom tank parts to let them go to waste. And I didn't like the idea of welding on a tank full of gas fumes!
explotar2jr.gif

I'll get some pic's of the hitch and e-mail them to You this weekend....along with My response to the e-mail You sent Me the other day. The hitch is strickly a "Sleeve Hitch", doesn't use ANY part of the IH 3-point since I don't even own one.
Dad bought My 10" sleeve hitch plow probably 25+ yrs ago at a yard sale for $5. He didn't have a 3-point for any of His CC's either. He got frustrated trying to use it so gave it to Me and I set the plow behind the CC in the shop and started making something to hook the two together. I'd use it to Fall Plow His large garden and while I was in the neighborhood I'd plow My Sister-in-law's TWO BIG gardens. When Dad bought His 129, frt blade & tiller I didn't need to plow His garden so the plow & hitch sat for several years until PD #1. I need to make a couple "Adjustments" to it, drill some more holes in the lift link bars so I can raise My plow higher, the tip of the plow share barely clears the ground when it's raised all the way up. I need to bolt the two lift arms together and drill new holes in each end closer together by just a small fraction of an inch with the drill press. Ten minute job that will take an hour of planning to get it "Right"
beer2.gif

There's a couple more things I'd like to add to the tractor like a lift assist spring but I know the "Factory" assists won't fit so that will be "home-made". And an aux. hyd. power unit that runs off the frt PTO to run My dump cart and other hyd. accesories like the press Son & I have been planning for years, AND I need to rebuild My lawn sprayer this spring, which requires attaching a Hypro roller pump run off the PTO and extending the spray boom from 4 nozzles for 80 in. wide coverage to 6 nozzles for 120 in coverage. Only hurdle there is finding a 50-60 gal. plastic tank "CHEAP" and local. Northern Tool has the tank I want/need for $90 but shipping is $110.

FRANK C. - You should put a COASTER under Your beverage cans. Wife's got Me Trained well Huh?
beerchug.gif

Frank, I usually don't mention the wrong seats, they are too easy to change, but you are correct, Jeff's 125 does have the wrong seat it should have a seat like your 123s have. (BTW, nice pair of 123s!) The decals are not so easy to change and someone that is not too familiar with Cub Cadets might not notice that it's not the correct decal. Nothing bad about the decal, they look quite nice just isn't "correct" for the 1x4/5 series. Jeff's 125 appears to have to have an incorrect grill screen too.

Marlin, in case you can't wait for Denny to take photos, here's a few that I took at PD9. (Denny, any chance I could get a copy of any new photos you take of your 72? Please!
happy.gif
)

115377.jpg

115378.jpg

115379.jpg

Dennis,
Northern Tool has a store near Milwaukee. Looks like it's just down the road from you.(At least less than $110 worth of gas.

http://www.northerntool.com/stores/Wisconsin.htm

I like a lot of stuff in Northern's catalogue but see the shipping as being prohibitive. I went to one of their stores when I visited my cousin in Hickory ,NC. Talk about being in a candy store! If I'd had the truck instead of the Mazda, I would of brought a lot of stuff home.

KRAIG - Thanks for posting those pic's for Marlin. I didn't remember I had that extra pair of white donut-shaped weights on the inside of the wheels at that PD. That's 90# plus the hardware on each wheel for all three weights. The outside solid weights are something I bought at a farm auction back in about 1970 for $5 for the pair. I have no idea what they were off of (it wasn't a JD!) but they were on the hayrack and had NO paint at all on them, no part number or foundry logo, the carriage bolts to mount them to the 70 and the can of spray paint cost more than I paid for the weights. The yellow pair next to the wheel on the inside are IH CC 26# weights, and the white inside pair I think are off a Sears or Mont.Ward tractor and weigh 22#/ea.

I'll get some pic's this weekend with some detail and something to scale some dimensions of the hitch, the axle brackets, the lift links & the rockshaft arms. The ONE thing I would do different is to shorten the arms that go on the rockshaft. They're shackel extensions I bought to put on a '77 Firebird I needed to raise the rearend after the leaf springs sagged in about '80 but I never got them on. I would cut them off an inch or two and use the hole right above where the lift links are pinned now, which would require moving the arms they pin to on the "U" shaped hitch in back farther forward or make those arms shorter.

I may even make the pic's "FANCY" like Richard C. Use cardboard for a background!
lol.gif

Oh, one more thing.....There's no "Blue-prints". I Never use blue-prints when I make stuff. WAY too hard to hold the tolerances shown in the title block. The tape measure I used to take all the measurements did have a current calibration sticker on it and was tracable back to NIST Standards. Not sure if We have any QA people on the forum but My last three employers were all ISO 9001 certfied. And I was a "Qualified Supplier" at My employer before those three....mostly to rework bad parts from a "Certified Supplier".
roflol.gif

Wyatt studied that hitch quite a bit and He liked the way it pulls off the axle carriers and spreads the stress out over a lot larger area of the rearend than the factory IH hitch which just pulls off the three capscrews at the bottom of the rear cover. That's the same way the rear drawbars on MILLIONS of FARMALL's was made.

I'm not too proud of the appearance of some of the welds on the "U" shaped hitch but I remember I was running out of "Scrap" and wanted to hook the plow up and......
Shift.gif
But all the welding was done with a 40-50 yr old AC Buzzbox welder. I started making another hitch several years ago for the 129, got the axle brackets done and cut most of the steel for the hitch but never got any farther than that. Seems like something needed to be repaired AGAIN on a Hot-Rod red Ford Lightning.....like the rearend Again.

Nick H,
I'm planning on going to the Plow day at Ft Allen (Scottsdale, Pa) which is the one you are thinking of.

There is also one more in the eastern part of the state near Mifflinville the week before.

There is also one in New Enterprize, Pa the same week as the eastern one. I went there the past two years, but I'm going to try the eastern one this time.

BRIAN L. - I used to work in Brookfield, WI....probably only 8-10 miles from that N T Store. Some day later this spring I'll have to run in there, just a bit over an hour away and see what they have available. I <u>WILL</u> take My pickup. If diesel stays the same price it'll only be $20-22 for the round trip!
happy.gif
I can handle that! THANKS!

Bruce C., It wasn't too bad in the cub shack last night, and its about 60 here today. I may make some more progress tonight.
thumbsup_old.gif

Latest posts

Back