• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through February 25, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David S.
254530.jpg

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Frank that tank was not there when I ran the Cub engine for the first time. I used a small plastic tank.

254532.jpg

And the break I was talking about.

254533.jpg

Wayne Shytle

I have no idea why the carb won`t work . The needle was soaked in carb cleaner and was checked to see if it was plugged. I get carb cleaned blowing out of all the passages and lots of air .The float is set the same as I have all ways set them .I will keep it and try it on another tractor someday.I can now move on to some other thing I want to get done.I will order some parts from Charlie, I need a few new high speed jets and some air filters.

Kids & Cubs = Fun snow day.
My "148" plow tractor made as many laps as the cars at Daytona....which I missed because we were having too much fun outside!

254539.jpg

Don T - the longer you leave that carb sit, the worse the problem with it will get.

Rick B - didn't I just see another post about what you might have been doing yesterday? (hehehe)

About using those little wires on the small openings on any carburetor. About seven years ago I had carburetor that had been soaked and still wouldn't work. Being careful with things I purchased one of those welding tip cleaners. To my surprise inside one of those tiny little holes was a very small piece of gravel that was wedged in that hole about three quarters of the way up. I never did figure out how that got there. It was in the carburetor and on the non running tractor when I brought it home. I don't think carburetor cleaner works well on small pieces of rock.

And as far as being afraid of working on a Walbro... one never masters what they fear. If someone at the factory could fine tune the darn thing then ... practice, practice, practice. <font size="-2">Those are the same three words that Doc Severinsin says to anyone that wants to become a better trumpet player.</font>

Marlin - pretty amazing you actually found the small piece of gravel. As far as how it got there - here's my guess:
"the po lived on a gravel road, and mowed without an air cleaner. One day a car went by about the same time he was moving and the piece of gravel flew up into the air and got sucked in by the carb".
I know how the sand got into my carb - the tractor was laying on it's left side (with no air cleaner) and jammed into a pile of sandy soil. When I picked it up it was next to the pile and the carb was packed full of the sand. I was just glad the K341A was still intact, and the frame had the tag with the Kind Code 2050048U.

I would like to know what would cause a carb to flood no matter the setting is for the high speed jet.

Tried starting the 100 yesterday - no go! So threw the charger on the battery again to give it one more try this week. Thinking I am going to have to tear into it and check out the valves since I think that was my biggest problem last fall when it warmed up, it would cough and spit and not rev up, think things are gumming up?
1a_scratchhead.gif
So what all do I need to order up to do the valves besides the head gasket and the funky gasket around the side plate of the engine?

I cleaned up the carb last fall and added a few new parts thanks to Charlie. Only thing I have not replaced yet is the nice fancy voltage regulator behind the grill. Stop drooling Charlie, you know you will get the money out of me sooner or later don't you!
While the battery was charging and the shop was warm, I figured I might as well take off the electrical connections and shine them up to make sure they are ruled out in the starting issue.

Have to get the 100 running good and then tear into the bearing on the clutch and have it all ready for Spring. Then comes the task of the 982 and its starting issue. Lots of fun! Would be nice to have all the tractors running at once and be able to choose which one I want to use that day.
bash.gif

David S.
I have one of those cabs.New still in the box...
There was a foam piece and sorta of a long removable zippy tie that held it down on the hood/dash.
Here a few pictures.

254546.jpg

254547.jpg

Don T

All I see is blurrrrr.
The float is hanging up on the small tabs on the float or you got more junk from the rubber hose from your plastic tank in the float valve.Is it running out of the carb.

Under edit..
I like in the box it is in Harry.Somewhere I have the mounting instructions for it.Right now it is buried in the cubhouse,so it aint coming out any time soon

Don T - as an adjunct to what Frank mentioned (float not set right) if the float was bad it wouldn't matter if you set it correctly, and would continually flood the engine. Changing the high speed needle likely wouldn't make any real difference.

Hey Do-Da - it's not doing anyone any good remaining "new in the box". Er, well I guess maybe it is. You'll able to show David S what it looks like and what it is.

Ge guys I thought one of you would see what is wrong with the carb I posted. Ok look at the picture posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 03:01 pm: and see the guy banging his head. Well just under that you can see a piece broke away from the Carb . Above the broken piece is the centre post that controls the air flowing through the carb . I tested the float in water overnight with a weight to see if in the morning there would be any water in the float . There was none so I reused it.It has a new needle and seat and a complete kit with new gaskets.

I know the float is set correctly
1a_scratchhead.gif

Just a thought , what if the vent for the bowl is plugged ? Would a plugged vent cause the carb to run rich . It did idle for some time before it started flooding. Would that cause a vacume in the fuel bowl that would make the Carb flood ??

I will have to take that carb apart again and check everything to see why it is flooding.

Don T - your posts are getting confusing. In the one with the guy knocking his head (posted at 3:01PM) you said:
"Well the 125 will start ,idle and run of that carb. what I thought was junk !".
So I thought the junk carb was ok and worked. You're lucky to be on the other side of the border.
guns.gif
This stuff only shoots south.

Harry Bursell

Harry are you must be kidding lol. In my post : can you see the
bash.gif
and then WHAT in the print above the picture of the carb ! Then look straight down at the picture of the Carb and above the high speed jet is a piece of Carb broken away.

Donald, I would test the needle and seat by cutting off the gas, remove the bowl, turn the gas back on, and see if the fuel flow was cut on and off when you move the float up and down. If not you can check if the seal is cocked, and I don't know on a Carter but on some carbs the seal has a recess that should be installed towards the top (away from the needle). A really long shot would be the needle is the wrong length or damaged.

Quick Question(s)

Pulling the foot rests off the 122 and having a heck of a time. Slotted pan head on top with nut on bottom, rust between. How the heck do you hold the slotted screw and get enough torque on the nut to break it loose? I'm thinking I might have to grind off the nut.

Wiring: The 122 wiring harness has different color wires. The 127's wiring harness has a few colored wires under the dash, but as they go out to the front of the tractor, same color. Is this correct or am I dealing with a non-IH harness? Were all IH wiring harnesses color coded?

Breaking down this 122 is revealing a VERY simple tractor. Hope I don't regret reducing it to pile of parts. I like the metal dash too!

I've already posted my progress pics of the 73 in the Refurb area- but here's some of the other Round Fender models I've collected.
254579.jpg

254580.jpg

254581.jpg

254582.jpg

254583.jpg

254584.jpg

Latest posts

Back