• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through February 24, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone kept track of how many times Charlie has had to use that "beating head on wall" sign????

Charlie,
repairs on frozen tranny complete, your advice was spot-on (carb cleaner and lube) now move freely by hand. Shifts like it was brand new I think (not really sure I was only 2 yrs old then)

thanks again for the good wisdom,
Tim

Jerry B.
A lot more than I should.
bash.gif

Tim K.
COOL! Glad it worked out for ya.
Now, put Hytran back in it and you'll be a good guy.
beerchug.gif

Jerry M.
It would take 3 pages to explain everything on Ole Joe.
biggrin.gif

There is no charging system.
You charge the battery in the spring, run it all summer, mowing, tilling or what ever and then you charge it up again the next spring.
I would have never believed that the battery would last all summer, but it sure does.

The starting system is actually off a pony motor on a D8 Cat.
It actuates the starter motor first and then a lever pushes the starter out to tighten up the belt and takes right off.

I'm ready for the next snow storm ( the one that's starting tonight )

I installed four new bearings and a brand new small gear in my angle drive for my QA 42 on my 125.

All installed, tested and gassed up.

Jeff

Charlie "Digger" Proctor
just a guess but did he work for Haban ? I see he has the hat and the pocket pen protector..

Charlie I guess I made a lucky guess. Off to town i go to get some hydraulic ports for the front of my tractor. Just got a call for a Cab (JD). Might have to pick that up and paint it something other than green lol.
old.gif

Not that I recognized them...Their names are in the file name of the picture. Just had to google it to make sure. Otherwise I'd have had no chance of getting this one. How are they related? The article I found about Polaris buying Haban said that Joe had no heirs.

Jerry

Joe is Erwins uncle.
I'm setting up a page with all the info on it.
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Erwin Haban

First of all, a bit of history. My uncle, Joe Haban started Haban Manufacturing with my grandfather in 1952. The company was located in Racine, Wisconsin. The family farm (homestead) was located about 3 miles to the west near Franksville. My grandfather had three sons, all turned out to be Engineers and left the farm. My father, Joe's youngest brother is Frank. Our family, (Franks) has spent the majority (of my life) residing in Manitowoc Wisconsin. During summer breaks from High School, I would spend my time down at Haban Manufacturing. During those summers, I worked side by side with my uncle as he was engineering/adapting existing product to new model tractors each year. I understand his basic design intent and product requirements.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Charlie, COOL!
thumbsup.gif

Joe A. IIRC, worked as a mechanic at a Chrysler dealer that at one time sold IH Cub Cadets. He was kind of a back yard engineer. He also had a Cub Cadet 105 with similar mods, it used a starter from a Chrysler product. I'm not sure who bought the 105.

185905.jpg

185906.jpg

185907.jpg

185908.jpg

185909.jpg

Kraig, Charlie, I can wait for the page but any idea what steering gear they used. I know one out of a half ton dodge is pyisically to big. I have been eye balling the one in my 52 dodge b2b.

Dave, the two tractors I've posted photos of with the modified steering have NOTHING to do with Haban. Soooo, no info on them will show up on the web page that Charlie mentioned setting up. I do not recall what old Joe used in the Cubs but most likely it was out of a Chrysler product. Perhaps Charlie can figure out what is in the 123 that he has. As for the 105 it's long gone and I have no idea where it went. If you're asking about something else and I've missed it completely, never mind.
blush.gif

The steering modifications I can understand the reasoning behind, sort of, but what the reason for so much modification on the starters? I've never had any trouble that would drive me to totally revamp the design.

Jerry

JERRY - Having been around CC's since 1963, every model has had certain "Weak spots". Since so many parts were shared for so long and actually across other brands as well, IH and some of those other companies worked to improve things. The spirol pins in the driveshafts on GD's 10 HP or larger would fatigue and break, wallow out the back hole on the coupler to the reduction housing pinion. The rag joints on hydros stretched and decayed.
The ROSS steering gearbox and OEM ball joints were not made for a tractor of the CC's caliber.

The starter/generators were really low production items for Delco, therefore parts were expensive. I've NEVER had success adjusting voltage regulators, and My 72 used to burn up the contacts about every two years. The IH VR was $40 back then when a VR for a 6-cyl. Chevy was $8. But about 15 yrs ago I moved it back inside the frame under the seat away from heat & vibration and it's been working fine ever since!

These are ALL changes IH made along the line in production, and MTD continued improving the driveshaft & frt axle & steering gearbox.

JOE just started the process 20 yrs before IH/MTD and took things in a different direction because of the parts He had available.

Latest posts

Back