• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 21, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STEVE B. - Ain't it FUNNY what stuff decides to break on these old tractors!?!?

I broke one of the rockshaft lift arms on the 72 about 5-6 yrs ago. It fractured right next to the heat affected zone on the weld! It was an easy fix if I hadn't broken the top off the pushrod for the lift lever! GGGRRRRRR! I found out the reason why those rods are "NLA parts" for a NF!

GARY C. - The PTO rattle W/O those clips IMHO isn't loud enough to require hearing protection. BUT, My straight pipe on the 72 is. So I wear full coverage headphones plugged into the AM/FM cassette deck! I'm in a rural area, no close neighbors. My little Cubbies are no where near as loud as the Case/IH Axial flow combine or C/IH 8920 chisle plowing in the field surrounding the house.

FUNNY but true story, I was mowing with the CC 72 about 6 yrs ago, before the straightpipe was installed, just had the small pepper-pot muffler on the K241 like a CC 100 would have had. I was trimming around the back side of the house and the neighbor went by with His Dodge Cummins-powered pickup which was straight-piped. I could hear that truck clearly over my little Cubbie. And the booming stereos on some of the little cars that go by the house are even louder than that pickup! I can clearly hear the neighbor's Harley when He starts it in his barn to go to work in the morning or go cruising on weekends! I don't get too excited about a little extra noise.

Dennis:
Cassette???? Shouldn't a 72 have an AM/FM 8 track player to be correct
confused.gif

BTW - that OT yellow/white MTD clone must have been used for some "ramming speed", eh?

Actually, I was stopped (believe it or not
happy.gif
happy.gif
).....went to pick up the blade and it broke right off. The PO's repair wasn't a full penetration weld so it didn't surprise me that it happened...I was almost waiting for it to happen, knowing the stress that is applied to that part.

If this happens to your red 982's out there, as I have heard often happens.....you will have the fix documented...
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Steve B., nice <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> wheel weights on that Cub...
happy.gif
wink.gif
happy.gif

KENDELL - Do You know what 8-tracks go for now? I'm too cheap to spend THAT kind of money. Wife used to have some 8-track tapes around but loaned them to Her Sister years ago.

Actually, the AM/FM/Cass was a B-day present from My Wife back in about 1980. To replace the AM in my old POS Chevy LUV p/u. The radio was worth more than the truck! So I took it out before I sold the truck. I put it on the 72 in about '86 or '87.

Funny thing about those old IH tractor radios is that you could hardly make out what was being said or music played over all the engine/transmission noise setting on the seat but you could here them just fine a quarter to half mile away. When they added the headphone jack, that was a good improvement. I thought about putting one of those on my Cub Cadet but my dad wouldn't let me and I didn't like having to drill holes in the hood so I never did.

RON - Dad got His first tractor radio for his field work tractor in about 1960. BIG old Automatic Radio, AM only, convertable to 6 or 12V, Pos & Neg. ground, and the ignition noise was terrible even with the included resistors. He always hated running the SM-TA or 450 after I'd run it. He couldn't stand WLS from Chicago, and would have to hunt up WGN. Finally in the spring of '68 He got Me my OWN radio. Still AM only, 6+12V, Pos & neg. ground.

I can only imagine the damage a radio vibrating around on a hood of a CC would do. A fender mount would be much more secure.

With the quieter 6-cyl. tractors like the 560,656,706/806 You could hear the radios over a half mile away, sometimes close to a mile if they were up-wind.

My old tractor radio is mounted on the Super H, with a few "improvements", has a high-powered SONY radio, AM/FM/CD player plus two 6" co-axial speakers. No headphone jack, the radio is right in front of the steering wheel, bracket bolted to the throttle mount capscrews, I'm afraid the headphone cord would end up wrapped around the steering shaft. Dad tried mounting them on the axle carriers but the long pipe mount vibrated too much. I REALLY hate stuff that vibrates.

Kraig nice original in your profile pic
greenthumb.gif
What size brinly plow is that?
On my original it has the same tires yours does
mine are made by goodyear do they still make that
type of tread? I also noticed you have no wheel
weights or ag tires do you get good traction on
mine I get horible traction mostly becaus they are drierotted and worn down.

Latest posts

Back