• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 21, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie,

After I started it and moved it out side to work on the snow, I stopped to close the garage doors. When I got back on I moved the lever to go forwarded and nothing happened. Tried reverse and nothing again. Lowered the blower and attempted to raise and would not come up, by this time I had ah horrible squalling coming from some where. Before I got it shut down it threw the flex plate bolts and some other things I could not find in the snow (we had 17")
Had to drag it back inside but have not taken apart yet. To cold and apprehensive.

Glen,

Don't think I nee the whole trans, looking at the pump, At this this time I think the gears are OK.

Lonnie,
I had a similar problem with my 682 hood not being aligned properly. I used washers between the front casting and the frame on the two rear bolts, basically just made the grill casting lean forward. That solved my problem but I never was able to figure why it didn't line up without shims.

John N:

Before you get to looking for a new hydro, there are a number of things that will cause your condition.

You could have the following:
(A) Low on Hydro Fluid
(B) Plugged Hydro Filter
(C) Broken Spirol Pin on the input shaft
(D) Bad Charge Pump
(E) Unattached shift linkage(s)
(F) Stuck Relief Valves

These are a few that I would suggest that you check out before condemning the Hydro.

Advice on the best way to align pulleys on 782

I have a 782 with a Q42 thrower. The pulley that is on the gearbox that accepts the belt from the electric clutch has a little set screw that holds the machine key onto the shaft coming out of the gearbox. The screw has loosened, and allows the drive pulley to slide front to back. In addition to being a b*tch get any wrench onto the screw located between the plate of the pulley and the gearbox, when I tried to get into a line of sight position to make sure the drive and clutch pulleys are in alignment, I can't seem to find a good position to sight along to make sure they are in the same plane and won't chew up the belt.

From above, the shroud from the grill to the engine is in the way. You can't see both pulleys from the sides. I don't have a pit to run the tractor over and sight up from below. Using a mirror on a stick makes me dizzy and didn't seem to help any.

Any hints on how to properly (and perfectly) align the two pulleys?

Snow's coming and I need to get ready. I've never had this happen before, it was always tight and lined up whenever I've mounted the blower before.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dale R.
Put the belt on the pto and the lower pulley. Tighten the belt just enough to grab a tiny bit. Leave the pulley loose, roll the thrower over by hand and the pulley should align itself close enough for you to eyeball the belt in the groove to make sure it's running straight. You can tell by looking at the gap between the belt and the pulley to make sure. Then tighten the pulley set screw and finish tightening up the belt.
Personally, I always put the pulley on and leave about 1/16" of the shaft sticking out as a starting point. JMHO
thumbsup_old.gif

You'll also want to make sure that you have a 5/8" pulley on the thrower, if not, yer SOL.

Hi,guys I've been a long time viewer, reader of this forum. But could'nt remember my password. I have a 42"snowthrower on 1 of my 782's and can't find the shaverbar for it,no longer available. If anybody knows where to get one please let me know. It has a cub cadet tag on it. Thanks for any help

Very clever -- pulley alignment

Very nice way to let it run in, so to speak, and self align. I'm pretty sure the pulley is the original equipment. I assume you mean 5/8" width since the diameter of the pulley itself (I'm guessing from best memory) is about 6" in diameter. I know there has been discussion about getting more rpm's on the auger/thrower with a smaller diameter pulley to make it throw better and I can't imagine punishing the drive train and the bearings and the over all setup more than it seems to already bear by trying to turn it faster. I also wonder about setting the belt tension a bit loose to try to allow for a little slip when I kick the electric clutch in.. there is a lot of stuff to start moving quickly. If I'm idling it may kill the engine, if it is running fast there is a lot of speed to pick up in a fraction of a second. Yet if the belt is too loose, it will slip with a load on the thrower.

Also, do you use any belt dressing on your drive belts?

Thanks for this tip, I'll get at it as soon as I get home tomorrow, since there is a possible 6 -12 inches up here east of Mpls/StPaul for this weekend!

Back