• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 21, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbliler

displayname
Jerry Bliler
So, anyone near Davenport Iowa? Will be passing through for a few days in May to see the new grandkid. Oldest daughter is in Grand Mound nowdays

man, nice sunny day here in the northwest, decided instead of workin on the 149, i'd work with the 106, scarfed up my drive way entrance and filled in the pot holes,
16028.jpg

then excavated and moved about a yard gravel.

heres some pics. of the 149 fender assy with the spray on bed liner applied to the running boards and battery box, this stuff aint gona wear of!
16029.jpg
16030.jpg

jeff r, that 123 startin to get pretty accesorized, gettin to the rockshaft attatching point for that lift is a real PITA, now try it with a loader in the way

speaking of accesorized here a pic of my "uglist cub hauler". hey the price was right - free
16031.jpg

Doug, I like the 149!!! Looking good. Yeah the 123 is starting to come together pretty well. I hope to have most of the accessories for it in time. Once I get the headlight parts I need to hold the lights in, they will get hooked up. Don't have them yet, but I will get them in time. Been strapped between working on the Originals, and the 123... Plus finishing up a remodeling project on our bathroom. Hey, can I bring up my Original and could you give me a hand getting a PITA oil plug out of the 10?

Hey Jerry!

Yep- I'm in LeClaire (within sight of where I-80 crosses the Mississippi)... 11 minutes from Davenport. Keith Ehrecke is about same distance to the north of Davenport, and Jim Bailey lives up in Clinton... about 35 minutes away. I'll be in-and-out all spring, but if you're in town and wanna have a tailgate-show somewhere, I'll put my toys on a trailer and bring'em! I'm sure there's a place we can invade for a few hours on a sunny afternoon... :)

DK :)

Doug, I've got a loader..
16034.jpg

and look at that jeep squat!
A little too much load for the Jeep!
happy.gif

Took it home today, done moving snow in town I hope!
Also brought home the 123 & 122 today.
16035.jpg

Rich P. -

Wyatt's right...

16037.jpg

Am just starting to plan the trip east for this year. Am sure there is a lot of home repair on the kids house. Am hoping to have a bit of time for some fun. Would like to find time for somthing cold to drink somewhere. Might have to see if there is IH brew back there!
From there it is on doun to Springfield Missouri to catch up with my folks.

Bryan,
Looks like the ride down "47" paid off for you today.

Gus,
Hey "Mr. Director" did you follow that lead today? Anything to show us?

****WELCOME NEWBIES****

(Message edited by thoffman on February 21, 2004)

Tonight's progress photos-

I've made the attachment bracket for the lower-end of the new steering column- it's threaded, and bolts in right where the ROSS box came out. The steering valve will bolt to this, and as I've fitted it, it'll sit just about 1/2" below the bottom of the frame.
16039.jpg

here's the steering valve- nicely cleaned up, and lookin' like a bona-fide CC part. From the top, I'm holding the original splined shaft, which will be welded to an original segment of Cub Cadet steering shaft, to make the finished assembly look like an original CC arrangement.
16040.jpg
16041.jpg

And here's the next hurdle... the steering shaft.
16042.jpg
16043.jpg

I have to lop the worm off the end of this shaft, turn the shaft down just a little bit, then fit and weld the valve's original shaft-end on. But I've got a problem.

16044.jpg

This is the worm-gear on this shaft. It's beautiful- too nice to just chop-saw off and throw in the trashbucket.

POOF.gif

Dave Kamp,
How about a parts list on that u-joint coversion, I like that. Kenny

I found a new lawnmower graveyard, couldn't help but stop in, alot of lawnboy's, my eye's were on what I though was a cc but through the weeds n what-not turned out to be an allis. But I did come across a snow[thrower?blower?] all I could get off the tag 42, two characters befor the 42 but could'nt read. Anyone care to share some pics of what i'm seein? Not shure if it is all there-auger unit and gearbox was all I saw, thanks! e-mail add. [email protected]

Dave K. nice work. I've got to do some steering work, but too many irons in the fire right now, wish I could help, just moved into a new house, moving is a hassel !

Good morning everyone:
Steven: here is a pic of a QA42A with out the manual chute control.
Dave: What is the Hyd. steering valve off of? We added one to my Brother in laws Ford loader GT. It was off a combine. It makes the steering very quick. You might want to put a flow reducer in the line. Just a thought. Great work. Looks like you having a blast.Kent W.
16048.jpg

Kent- I rescued the Char-Lynn steering valve from a home-brewed forklift that someone made from an Allis-Chalmers D17... it was quite a sight, sitting out in the field at Windy Hills Used Farm Equipment in Wheatland, Ia. The builder took what appears to be the entire steering column from a green combine (Deere or Oliver?) and mounted it on the back of the tractor, and took the tractor's seat and mounted it facing backwards on the gas tank... this put the operator directly over the brake and clutch pedals. They mounted crude forks on the 3-point, then they put a hydraulic motor on the steering shaft just a few inches from the original steering box. Crude, yet clever.

Hey Kenny- here's the driveline info;

16050.jpg

Driveshaft U-joint kit for 5/8 shafts;
-Yoke is SKF 10-4373 (supplier #70719 72) $11.75 each (2 req'd)
-Joint is SKF 1-0170 (supplier 70719) $6.00 each (1 req'd)Chicago Rawhide

All bearings can be obtained thru Bearing Distributors, Davenport, Iowa - 563-386-4159, or by any other bearing company- just tell your friendly parts guy that they're distributed by Chicago Rawhide.

Kent-

The pump I'll be using is a Sundstrand TKT19.2 with 3gpm/1450psi priority port, and 6gpm auxiliary at 1800rpm. As I understandi it, the priority selector consists of a choke and selector valve, so my maximum steering flow will be only 3gpm. I'll probably be using two cylinders 1.8" bore x 4" stroke. This valve is an open-center device- when there's no steering input, and no steering load, the flow pressure will be essentially zero- it'll just be circulating through. Putting a restrictive orfice in the pressure or return lines will cause standing pressure in the circuit, which I don't really want, as the cylinders are limited to 1000psi. Putting a restrictive orfice in the ram lines will will cause the steering to be a bit sluggish, and will cause line pressures to jump under load but won't change the ratio- steering ratio is strictly a function of total cylinder displacement and steering-valve displacement-per-revolution. This Char-Lynn is old enough so that I can't get full technical information on it, but it's not very big. If steering's too quick with one cylinder, I'll use two and slow it down.

Besides... two rams is (in Keith's terminology) more 'manly'. :)

Headed down to Iowa yesterday morning to grab Cubzilla as he called it. We hit the Iowa line and ran into this crap!
16052.jpg

Got down there and loaded up and I took a pic of his 482 with a 12 horse kohler stuff under the hood, kinda neat little tractor.
16053.jpg

16056.jpg

On the way back I made arrangements for a little tour-No cameras allowed inside though, Quite the place and super nice people.
16054.jpg

Gotta get this unloaded today too, grin
16055.jpg

Latest posts

Back