• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 24, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbratton

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Justin Bratton
Hey guys—
Bad day....broke my front axle in half on my ‘’61 Cub ‘0’. I was trying to remove the axle bolt from it. So, few questions, what is the best way to remove that bolt in the axle? Is there some other option other than that bolt? Also, how I’ll be needed a new front axle...is this hard to find?

Steve, thanks for the feedback. I'm mostly concerned about fire hazards versus gas going bad. I had a full 5 gallon plastic kerosene can almost cause a major disaster last year.

Justin, can you add a picture of axle and pin? I've replaced several axles but not sure what your '61 looks like. Thanks.

Justin,

Did you break the axle trying to press out the pin?
Did you drill a relief hole through the pin?

This topic was discussed under the refurbish and restoration section.
Go to the finally doing a 100 thread and look at the archive through Jan. And Feb. 2017 posts.

Marty— I used a Big hammer to try and hit it out. No drilling or press. Hitting the bolt caused the axle to snap. Ending up cutting the head of the bolt with a hax saw. I’ll have to read that thread. Thanks.

George— l’ll get some pictures posted.

George,

To possibly save the rest of us a concern....what was the near issue with the plastic can?

The handle on the kerosene plastic jug broke when I tried to lift it, full. It dropped only inches but still cracked which caused a slow leak along the seam. It would have been much worse if this happened 4 feet off the ground at the retailer or at home. It was a great price at the local flea market years ago and the clear plastic was discolored—that should have given me a clue! Now I think it’s time to change the way I store bulk fuel for the summer, and switch from plastic jugs to type 2 metal cans. The choices for nozzles are 1” and 5/8”. I’ll keep my one gallon jugs for 50/50 mix. Thoughts?

No real thoughts, other than I watch the condition of my plastic cans carefully and only use cans that I personally have purchased new and know the history on.

I understand your concern, but the "clear plastic" and "flea market" are both huge cautions for me when it comes to gas cans for daily usage (not collectors items...)

Les Scraping the ice from his driveway last week while I watch from our deck.

324899.jpg

Over extended a bit do you think!!
Not me!!

324900.jpg

David, oops! Is it still stuck? If so, I think I'd use the loader to help, raise it up and dump the bucket, then lower it and roll the bucket up thus pushing the Cub backwards while running the hydro in reverse, might just be enough to get it unstuck.
dunno.gif
Though you'll probably have to tow it out.

Yeah, we got it out right away.
backed the 882 up to it to help lift the ass end w/the Cat 0 and with the help of a few boards under the rear wheels, the bucket flat lifting & the front and the 882 pulling got the rear wheels back up on the concrete it came right out.

Les was seeing how far he could push the snow out over the edge to make room for more w/o going off with the rear wheels.

I bet the bottom of the weight box got skinned up though!

David, it appears Les discovered how far he could go.
happy.gif
Yep, I would guess the bottom of the weight box is a bit scratched up.

Nice snow pics with cubs.
This has been the wettest Feb. on record, so no cub action here.
Calling for more rain the next seven days!
bash.gif

I gave my step grandson a 70 cub cadet that hadn't ran in 10 years. We got it running and he was driving and it suddenly stopped running. I checked and the engine was locked up. so I took the generator loose to see if the gen or the engine was the problem, In doing this I found the gen. brace bolt had backed out into the pulley locking the engine. I fixed that and it would not start up. I had fire and gas but no start. I found that when it locked up the point gap had increased to .035. I retimed it and it started as it should. That was a first time that has happened in 40 years owning cub cadets. Just rambling and thinking it might help someone troubleshoot their cub.

Luther, wow, never heard of that happening before. Interesting that it could back out far enough and fast enough to not just wear down the head of the bolt.

I have had several that had a groove worn in the head of the bolt for the starter brace.

I purchased a cub once where the head of the gen. brace bolt was almost rubbed clean off. It still ran!

Just in case anyone may be wondering , it is still raining here.
icon_eek.gif

Marty, it's about to start snowing again up here. Supposed to get another 1 to 3 inches of snow. I think there's over two feet on the ground already.
a_blink2.gif

Business is slow at work, so we are having to take Fridays off with no pay.
thumbsdown.gif

Calling for rain every day until Tuesday.
thumbdown.gif

On the bright side, I may try and work on my 100 in a little bit.
happy.gif

Back