• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 20, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
Dennis you missed my point, a 4 gallon gas tank is a plus,
I do not mow with the 169, it push's snow and dirt, drags the wagon and manure spreader around and thats about it.

I can cut about 2 acres with my 109 with tank and a half.

Dennis F - I hear you on owning a QL, or not wanting to own one. There were a few times when I uttered "gall dang-it" or something like that when putting mine back together. I haven't had my 109 or the 1650 side by side yet as they are in different locations, but the 1650 just seems to have a bigger/higher platform, but I would think they would be the same.

When working over the 1650, one of the things that I thought about when wrestling with the re-assembly is - that if this is done right, then I shouldn't have to revisit any of this for a long time. I put Dave Kirk's steering kit on, tightened-up the axle cradle, did the engine cradle mod and used very good IH original isolators (which I gather the cradle mod should help those last much longer), added a Dave K's muffler crutch and a new fan. So far, so good. For whatever reason (and again I need to compare the 109 side by side to the 1650) the 1650 just seems like a slightly bigger tractor, smoother riding and definitely quieter than any old iron tractor I've owned. It is also vibration free at full throttle at the operator's platform.

So I said all the above to say this - I think the QL tractors are solid and are a good bang for the buck - if one can get past some of the things like the engine isolators. My tractor has a 14 hp engine in it (got a 16 hp waiting on a rebuild), it pulls a moldboard plow like a dream, IMHO easy on the eyes and has hydro lift. We'll see this summer how it handles the 50 inch deck and long term how it holds-up. I still might try a RED 782 were the right deal show-up in my neck of the woods.

Jeff B - I think later QL's had 1 inch front spindles. That is a swap I'd like to make with mine just for kicks. The 4 gallon tank. My thoughts are that I kind of prefer a smaller tank as my mowing, while considerable, doesn't require that much gas. I passed on a commercial push mower one time for a consumer version of it in part because of the large gas tank. My thought with the push mower and with the 4 gal tank vs smaller is that I get more turn-over in my gas.

Vincent T - can't comment on your rotating snowblower chute, but that's a NICE looking QL!!!

Kraig - those wasp nests in your pic, when running that tractor in the summer, did you have duct tape over the creeper gear slot and vent hole? YIKES!!!!

Harry B - I know you had a 1450, but did you ever own and run a 1650? Just curious as to your thoughts on them and the 16 hp as a worker compared to your 169.

Bill, those are pine cones...
happy.gif
--->
rant.gif
Red Squirrels.
angry.gif

Bill J - thanks here it is sitting next to my 1650 the day I brought it home last October. The 1650 has a 10hp motor, my 1000 now has a 16hp, and this 1650 is working hard along with the blade in the pic to keep my co-workers long driveway cleared of snow.

283905.jpg

I've now owned the above mentioned 3 Q/L Cub Cadets. They are all very nice. With in the next year the 1250 will have a hydro lift, headlights, rear lift, etc.

Remember Folks.....that literature I sent to Kraig was an INTERNAL IH salesman's tool to promote the new and improved features of the 82 series.......the general public didn't ever see it, just the sales staff.

Kraig,

Can you post the front and rear covers please? Thanks

Dennis - yup, you're right, on a yearly basis maybe 2 or 3 times. It's almost a shame. Can't wait till I retire and can start having more fun again. By the way, all the comparison stuff didn't include the 982. That's a Super Garden Tractor and it's un-fair competition!!!! I had an 1872 and that was one sweet machine. The power steering and that twin 18 were terrific!!! That was back before the internet, and if I could'a found a snow blade or more preferably the thrower at a reasonable or even a high price, I might have been willing to give up all my other CC's. The dealer wanted like an outrageous $900 for a new blade and I just couldn't find any used stuff. I don't remember the price he wanted for a thrower but it was more than I paid for the whole tractor with a 60" deck.

Bill QQ - most of my running days were before the net was around and I never had my own 1650 to run. My son has now had several which I toyed around with and I have to say the 1450 is a very near match in performance. Having a 1650 is more like being able to say you got the biggest and baddest there is, but in day to day operation I think anyone would be hard pressed to really be able to show any substantial difference.
Now, as far as my 169 - guess you hadn't quite figured out, Dennis' eluded to it, and I really hate to admit but "that's my trailer queen!!!". I'm certain you saw the pic of it sitting under my deck before restoration. Took me about 7 years to find it, and then another 7 to complete the restoration (which got a little rushed in the end cause I knew I was moving out here). With only 4005 made and no internet around when I was looking - they were impossible to find. I can say I've run and worked several 149's and I've worked my son's 169 a few times. Pretty comparable to the QL comparison I mentioned, but there is just something about having that 169 with a K341 sitting there exposed - it might just be its bigger muffler but sure seems like it's alot more than a 149 or 1450, or even a 1650!!!
Hope these details and my opinion help ya. My suggestion is that ya grab every half decent IHCC machine you can in your neck of the woods. Gett'em into reasonable operating condition and do your own comparison. I think you're gonna find you wanta keep all of them, some more than others. You'll let one go only to get one you like a little better. Very likely any that have a seat molded to your butt will be yours forever!!!

Jeff - I recall about 1 tank to cut 2 acres with my 1450. Maybe your 109 needs a tune up, or you got to many trees to trim around.

Bill QQ - interesting question on Vincent's rod. Not sure if it looks home made, but sure is at least home curved. Wondering why it was done that way - maybe as a test to see if it might help stop the normal flexing/bowing when in use.

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - is that an early Sales Know How brochure? I see a QA Thrower on the front of '82 unit. And where are the infamous hubcaps for any of them?

Steve,

I also used to receive INTERNAL literature like you gave to Craig; it was a motivational tool the factories used to get dealers onboard with new products.
When new product rolled in for delivery, you wanted your entire staff onboard too, salesmen especially, but the parts guy or gal, the shop as well. They all drive sales.

Like you said, those publications were printed to stir the new "fever" inhouse, not for the general public.

Hydro, only the 782 came with hubcaps, no 782s on the front cover. Note the manual lift on the one with the QA snowthrower and the one with the tiller they are both 582s. It would have to be early, as it was introductory documentation for the 82 Series for the dealers.
happy.gif

Kraig,
Here's the player, and the fold up presentation stand behind it, LOL
283913.jpg

And right behind that stack of boxes were 42 tapes, covering Cub Cadets.
283914.jpg

Charlie, I agree with Jeff!
a_weep.gif

Steve, I zoomed way in on that cover and it sure looked like 582 to me. But you have the real document not the scan so I'll take your word.
happy.gif

283916.jpg

I guess I will throw my .02 cents in on the debate of the 1x50 versus the x82. I have owned a 1450 and a 1650. And I have to say hands down I will take a blowed up burnt up 782 way before I would the 1450. The reason for that is this. I had a real nice 1450(the one I had in the for sale section awhile back) And to me it was gutless. And the fact I had it for sale for over a year and only one person came to look @ it. And it seemed every time I wanted to run it I had to spend some time making adjustments or working on it. I truly hated that tractor. Plus the fact the single cylinder shook so. The other side of the coin is with any 782 I have owned They were easy to work on very smooth to run and to date no major problems with a kt17. Now I am sure some people feel the same way bout any 82 series that I do for the 50 series. For me I feel the 82 were the best most user friendly tractors IH ever made. Well with the exception of the original being the best. But to each there own. Jim

Vince - I have the same problem with the thrower on my 782, especially with heavy snow. If I have the chute turned all the way to either side, the force of the snow eases the chute back toward center/forward position. My right hand spends a lot of time moving back & forth between the hydro control lever and the chute control handle. Does that make me a multi-tasker?

As long as I'm on the subject of my QA42A, I have a question. The small 14T sprocket calls for a coiled spring (spirol) pin 1-1/4" long, but part of the sprocket it goes through (I don't know the correct term for that "shoulder") is 1-1/2" in diameter, so the pin doesn't reach all the way to the ends of the opening. Is this normal? I had to replace the sprocket a couple years ago, so maybe it has a larger "shoulder" than the original? Am I jeopardizing the life of the pin by having it extend less than all the way through?

So many questions, so little knowledge!
1a_scratchhead.gif

Greg Lippert

we get so much wet heavy snow I know what you mean . You have to pick a speed that you have HP for that moves snow. some slip plate or none stick spray really helps with snow moving out the chute and plugging. I hate to get off the seat and have to plan ahead so I don`t have to. I re -spray every time and find I don`t have the chute plug as much as I did . speed and feed works if you find the sweet spot.

Latest posts

Back