• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 07, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I want a thrower. Seems lately(maybe due to winter) there has been many posts of "malfunctioning" throwers due to "this or that". Granted anything that is maintained will last and work great. I have a small, antique Jacobson thrower that I would put up against any new unit. Occasional grease/oil in the right place will make it last.

I guess maybe too many guys have gotten "used up" throwers and need repair to work well.

Just a note I saw Saturday, I just replaced the front wheel bearings before winter. With all the snow packed around the wheels I can see that they will need fresh lubrication as soon as the snow goes away. If not, they'll likely rust up and fall apart.

BTW, great throwin' pics.

Larry,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I guess maybe too many guys have gotten "used up" throwers and need repair to work well.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Very true, people need to remember that these are 30 to 40+ year old pieces of equipment and when bought used, one usually has no idea of how they were used and or maintained. My QA42 is made up of two units, the gear box, main mounting bracket, drive shaft, chain tensioner unit, chain and the chute rotator were from the QA42 that my parents bought new in 1969, the auger, auger housing and discharge chute are from one that I bought used.

The great blade/blower debate, gotta love it. They are both tools, a ratchet isn't always the fast way to remove a bolt, a blower isn't always the tool of choice. A blade isn't always the best choice. Ideally both would be best, set up on different tractors, ready to go.

Speaking of throwers... I have a QA42 that needs taken apart, sandblasted, and repainted. How long does it take to take them apart? Does anyone have a .pdf manual I can download for the instructions and parts?

Mark, the "Cub Cadet Parts Lookup" (see the button above) should have exploded parts views of the QA42, just enter QA42 as the model number. As for the Operator's Manual, click HERE Taking one apart and refurbishing it is a fairly quick and easy project. Figure a couple weekends or several days for the entire project provided you have all the new parts handy and have good conditions for painting. They are very simple to take apart and put back together. The only real trick is knowing how to remove the concentric locking collars on the auger bearings.

The best way I found to raise up the fenders for clearance with 26-12x12 tires is found at your Farm& Fleet type store in the hardware aisle. We use the square perforated tubing. holes are 1" apart and often will line up with the existing ones. If not it is easy to redrill as needed. In the back (2 bolts each side) it is best to use one piece per side, not 4 individual pieces Shim the mid mounts as needed.

We do NOT use any spacers in the front, not needed and inhibits the pedal from full travel/braking. Simply mount the rear first, then reinstall the fronts and measure what's needed in the middle mounts. Loosen the front, install mid shims and front bolts then tighten all.

Charlie, yes #33 has been getting higher every few months!
1a_scratchhead.gif

Got to use my 147 with a blade to clear snow on the Dec. 19th snow storm. Worked great, when I had traction - which wasn't often. Got a set of used chains and - HOT DAMN what a difference! Received at least a couple of feet of snow on Fri/Sat and was able to clear my driveway and a neighbor's driveway.

Unfortunately, the electric lift went out. It's been acting flaky for years and often worked sporadically - I assumed it was the switch, so I disconnected the switch and hooked it up to 12v directly. Nothing. Looks like it's the motor. I looked on the FAQ's, but the manual says the motor is a "motor is serviced as a complete unit, and should be replaced as necessary."
(a) I can't afford $160 for a new one; and,
(b) I don't have much time, as it looks like we're getting another foot or so tomorrow.

Has anyone had luck with repairing the motor? Are there brushes or something that can be rehabilitated or replaced? Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.

Jim Diederichs,Kendell Ide
Well here goes, Let see what I get into here with this Original. Have all the clutch parts but new spring and I`am wondering if it should be replaced as it is 49 years old lol.I would like to have new rears tires.Let the dust fly.
185142.jpg

I just hope it comes out as nice as Kraig `s last tractor.Something to aim for! later Don T

Don, LOL Ha! That was my first tractor refurb, and it looks WAY better in photos than it does in person.
blush.gif
It's a 10 foot rattle can paint job. Thanks though.
happy.gif

185144.jpg

I still need to repaint the front rims, not sure what the PO did to them...

Don T..
Gotta love the IHCC color coordinated jackstands!!

Dave,
Sounds like sound reasoning to justify to the missus for buying another cub...
clappy.gif

Mark A,
It depends on how ambitious you are, and how bad the blower is, and what types of tools you have access to.. My QA took about a month of off and on futzing,
185147.jpg

of course, Don T seems to chug out a refurbished cub once a month or so... (or it seems that way)
1a_scratchhead.gif

Charlie:
My son works for a company that supplies electric utilities...
proud.gif

Well guys I have to have something to do. the O needs a base pan gasket and thats it. just the clutch to rebuild and run some wires for the tail light and head lights and the Bird Installed.
185153.jpg

185154.jpg

185155.jpg

185156.jpg

Some pictures at the start for those who like pictures.
thumbsup_old.gif

Kendell, That would explain the extension cord abuse.
happy.gif

Did all Originals have the point cover shut off button?

Kraig, I am looking for this Parts Lookup page but I do not see it anywhere on the main forum page, this page, or the IHCub Home page. Can someone point me into the right direction? Or give me a link?

Thank you,
Mark

Dave, I think they all did.
1a_scratchhead.gif
Perhaps Paul Bell will see your query and chime in.
dunno.gif

Chip S.
The first thing I would do would be to take the lift apart and clean it up really well by removing the OLD probably hard grease in the tube and where the motor attaches.

As far as working now and then. Before you take the motor apart, check the wires where they go into the side of the motor.
Over time, they also get hard and crack and they might be shorting out. I've seen that many many times.
Also check all the electrical connections associated with the lift, especially the switch.

And yes you can buy replacement brushes. The motor is really easy to take apart, but what a PITA to put back together, LOL
Make sure you have some popsicle stick and 2 extra sets of hands.

Latest posts

Back