• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 06, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick-
$410?????
icon_eek.gif
facepalm.gif

Bill J-
Be careful how wide you make that blade. I have a 54" blade on an <font color="119911">OFF TOPIC</font> garden tractor that sometimes has problems keeping the front end planted when the blade is angled and pushing snow, and that's WITH front wheel-weights and brand new turf tires. Sometimes instead of the tractor pushing the snow out of the way, the snow will stay put and the tractor will slide sideways, glancing off the snow as the windrows pile up. It usually only happens with snows larger than about 6", but something to think about at least.

Another problem with a wider blade is that it tends to "gloss over" stuff that a more narrow blade would dig up. "Bigger" as they say is not always "better".

David S-
Nice muffler build. I'd also be curious to know how well it performs.

Bill J....A wider blade on sidewalks that are 48" will more than likely be on the grass on at least 1 side most all the time. If you walks are ingrown w/grass etc an inch or more on each side you will wind up w/a lousy plow job not to mention bunged up curb boxes and banged up ends on your plow.

Would be great for wider walks and drives though I would think. I'd be more apt to hang a set of tapered extensions on either or both sides w/heavy triangular rubber squeegees to fill the gap.

Bill J.

I got 58" out of 2ea. 42" blades when I welded them together.....BTDT.....

Listen to those who say don't go too big......the 54" blades push you around in wet snow and the 58" was all my 782 #2 wanted......fun build though!!!

283444.jpg

283445.jpg

283446.jpg

David S the muffler looks good ,i built a few ,and the large pipe alone cost $10.00 a foot ,so you saved a some money .

Steve B - that sure look like a 169 you have the 58" blade mounted on in your pics below. I'm pretty certain I see the big aircleaner. Also, I hope those pics were made during your fabrication. I see you have the trip release in the locked position and you have no springs on the blade. A little to much speed and that crack in your driveway may cause you to dis-mount your tractor unwantedly.

Dave C - psst, don't go giving away those trade secrets. I was hoping to work with you to make up some of those $400 169 mufflers.

Harry-
I'll save Steve the trouble of responding...

Do you see the raw steel and fresh welding on the backside of that blade? (Not to mention the lack of snow in the yard) Those pictures were most certainly taken when Steve was building that blade. As far as the lack of springs and the locking mechanism being locked, I'm betting Steve just picked up the blade off the shop floor, slid the lower pin in and hooked up the lock to hold the blade upright so that he could take those pics.

Having said that, I'm pretty certain Steve knows more about operating equipment than you and I combined. He knows where the springs go and how to use them.. LOL
aaaa_tongue2.gif

Did I miss something, Kraig did you ever find your dip stick??

Scultzie. Congratulations!!!
happy.gif

David S. Nice looking custom built muffler.

Rick B. $410 for a muffler???!!! Even Fancy would kick my butt after Angel did for paying that kind of money.

Off to work Everyone have a fantastic and safe day.
happy.gif

Jeff, I have not found the dipstick. I did find a replacement that I still need to get from Art. I have temporarily borrowed one from a spare engine I have.

Dave S,
Are you gonna pack that muffler with anything? I want to open up my 149 muffler and stuff some stainless steel chore-boys inside to help quiet it down...

Scott, I kinda wondered about that. I already have the inlet half welded up tight. I suppose I could pack some of those into the outlet half...or should they have gone in the center part....or maybe the whole thing??

I have an other piece of that 5" stack and I may do another one and pack the whole thing and that way will have one for comparison.

I did use that same stuff in the breather of the 14 HP I rebuklt last spring. Works good in there also.

David S.-

Now would be a good time to add one of David Kirks muffler crutches. I've heard a lot of good things about them and those aluminum housings aren't getting any cheaper.

Nice job (so far) on the muffler. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

David S.

David Kirk also had a write up on his web site about modifying mufflers too IIRC. Might have some ideas for you. Seems like it was his second write up. Looking good though!

David S - I don't know if I'd put anything inside the muffler other than what you got - unless you think you need more back pressure on the engine. Don't know if their would be a noise vs hp trade-off or some clogging might occur over the years.

Steve B - thanks for the pic of your 58 inch plow - nice. Still pondering the mod. Not so much plowing sidewalks, but I live on a dead end street and it I don't plow out ot he main road, snow gets packed down and ices-up. I'm thinking 54 inch blade might be a good choice, but really need to measure my trailer width to see if I can haul the tractor with the wider blade in the first place.

Harry B - I enjoy the tid bits you catch on various pics - what's there, what's missing, what's original, etc. I can do that fairly well with my other color tractors as I've been around them for years, but still in the learning curve on these IHCC's

Not to generate a hydro war - but one of my other color tractors is 14 hp - Kohler single cylinder engine. Over the years its seems to me that the 14 hp engine will handle just about every chore from mowing to snow blowing with relative ease. With that - I'm plotting my next IHCC move (good thing Wife/Boss doesn't read this forum). I'm thinking the best all around hydro (for me) might just be a 149. 14 hp, easy servicing/repair, etc. Maybe this spring...

Bill J.:
I was thinking the same thing on Dave's muffler.
thumbsup.gif
on the 149 idea and wishing you the best of luck in finding one.
happy.gif

BILL J. - I had a 129 for 15 yrs. Was a "running Basket Case" when I got it, had led a VERY hard life prior to me getting it. I rebuilt most of it, new paint, was my favorite mowing tractor w/44A deck. I even modified the deck, cut the discharge end of the housing off so it was 47 inches wide, narrow emough to fit in the back of my bed-liner equipped truck. The K301 ran the tractor & deck well, but a little more HP never hurts.

Since SON has my old 70 Dad got when I was 11, and will probably keep it forever, If I get a third CC again, I think a 149 would be REALLY REALLY high on my list to look for. It's NOT a GD, but is a WF. Might even look for one with hyd's.

Latest posts

Back