• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Mating Driveshaft to none standard engine

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
What have you folks done to mate a stock Driveshaft to an engine you swapped in? Are the Crank ends ( on front fan end) made to accept additional mountings? The K17 Gen 1 is mounted 'backwards' in the 782. In order to get rotation correct, I have to do the same with new engine. I'm not familiar with that side of the Crank. Is it tapped out or?
Pics of custom adapters would be a help.
Looking to get a great deal on a low hour, 18Hp, commercial B&S from a Fire Dept portable pump.

According to the parts lookup, the 1440 and 1641 (which both use a V-twin Vanguard) use the same Kohler part-numbered driveshaft adapter between the flywheel and driveshaft front coupler as all of the Kohler V-twin powered models, oddly enough: KH-24-029-12-S.

This part was used in all sorts of Cub Cadet models, so it should be easy to find used.

According to the parts lookup, the 1440 and 1641 (which both use a V-twin Vanguard) use the same Kohler part-numbered driveshaft adapter between the flywheel and driveshaft front coupler as all of the Kohler V-twin powered models, oddly enough: KH-24-029-12-S.

This part was used in all sorts of Cub Cadet models, so it should be easy to find used.
So there is hope that this engine (model not known yet) may actually accept a standard connection. It's not a Vanguard, I don't believe.
That would be too much to hope for. Adapting the Mule end is not a factor as I do not use it. Trailer hitch for trailers and snowplow duties (when snowfall is under 8") is what Tug does for me.
Thanks for the part number.

So there is hope that this engine (model not known yet) may actually accept a standard connection. It's not a Vanguard, I don't believe.
That would be too much to hope for. Adapting the Mule end is not a factor as I do not use it. Trailer hitch for trailers and snowplow duties (when snowfall is under 8") is what Tug does for me.
Thanks for the part number.
Parts lookup changed. Do they not support our old Garden tractors? I used to be able to type in "782" and it would bring me to options...engine, attachments, etc. Now it goes nowhere. https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/content-asset-page-includes/ari-partstream.html

Still works fine for me. 782 is lumped in with the 1711 and other mechanically similar tractors. You have to click a model after you search.

Pics of the engine in question would really help. I assumed you meant a V-twin, which would make it a Vanguard, but if that is not the case, more info is needed.

Was going to get the original drive fitting for the flywheel repaired for my 149, shop machined a new one-piece, which I then used to move the flex-joint to the engine end of the driveshaft, and put a u-joint at the back, as shown by others on the forum. Works great, NO rattle or extra vibration.

Just ran up to firehouse to take pics. Optional Pull Start is assembled so no help in viewing that.

Attachments

• 20240328_102007.jpg
    20240328_102007.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240328_102029.jpg
    20240328_102029.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Still works fine for me. 782 is lumped in with the 1711 and other mechanically similar tractors. You have to click a model after you search.
Yeah, I know what it looked like. A bunch of similar tractors would show up within different groupings.
Using the link I posted on previous thread, I type in "782" and I get only 22 individual parts. It doesn't show me that multil model listing like it did.
If you folks click the link I gave, what happens?
P.S. their air cleaner does look Vanguard like

The 582 Special and 580 had an engine like that and would interface to the driveshaft in the same way as the 782. It may simply work by removing the pull start assembly and changing the flywheel screen. If you are able to get the info off the data tag riveted to the flywheel shroud, we can figure that out.

tkhoffman-

Your link works just fine for me. You may have an ad blocker or out of date browser affecting the operation of it on your end.

The engine model is 422437 its an opposed twin. And, boy, I am hoping it ends up being a plug and play. Hopefully thr bolt pattern on the pull cord end will simply accept the driveshaft adapter off the Kohler K17.
The gas feed, the choke bracket and throttle bracket are on the same respective sides as the K17. Even the voltage regulator wire location is close to the original.
Maybe many of these 'like' engines were designed to be interchangeable.
If the shaft length for the Mule clutch is good, that would be a nice bonus.
As far as the Parts Lookup, this picture is all I can get. It doesn't bring me to the list of Cub models that I'm used to seeing

Attachments

• 20240328_183733.jpg
    20240328_183733.jpg
    961 KB · Views: 0
They made a lot of different variants in that model. You need the code and date, like this 422437-1248-01 so you need the rest of those so you can view it at B&s.com

Use this link.

https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/content-asset-page-includes/ari-partstream.html and click on the cub cadet box in the center of the page.

This is what I came up with. The 782 parts list I posted is from a 1999

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 16-32-52 Lookup Parts Via Diagram Cub Cadet US.png

Last edited:
The 582 Special and 580 had an engine like that and would interface to the driveshaft in the same way as the 782. It may simply work by removing the pull start assembly and changing the flywheel screen. If you are able to get the info off the data tag riveted to the flywheel shroud, we can figure that out.

tkhoffman-

Your link works just fine for me. You may have an ad blocker or out of date browser affecting the operation of it on your end.
echo that about the browser, plus also some sites are not “mobile-friendly” and obscure much content unless viewed on a tablet-or-larger screen.

Latest posts

Back