• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 06, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig,

E-Track is hard to keep clean when installed on the floor of a utility trailer, especially if used for hauling brush, mulch, etc.

The main frame of the trailer is 3" chanel iron and the top flange is exposed around the perimeter. I will likely weld 1200# D-rings every 18" or so around the edges, then do the same thing around the top rail...the more of those little buggers the better!!! ($1.29 at TSC)
They are strong enough for tieing down Cubs, and also work great for bungee's, rope, etc.

I havent decided on the floor tie-downs yet. I thought about Dan's method, but like E-track, it's hard to keep threaded holes clean. I will probably go back to the recessed 5000# rings like on my current trailer, dividing the trailer into 1/3's and putting 3-4 rings per row in the main deck with 2 or 3 across the dovetail. Might also weld some 5000# D-rings to the front channel.

Steve, I agree, the more tie points the better! I don't know if you ever use your trailer to haul lumber but if you do you probably know what a pain it is to tie it down securely. I used my old home built snowmobile trailer to haul lumber quite a bit when I was in the process of building my shed and remodeling my home and it seems like I still frequently haul lumber for various projects. When I had the two tie down nuts welded on for clamping on the snowmobiles I made sure they were over 48" apart so that a sheet of plywood or drywall would fit between them then I had two extra long, 18" crank screws made. I no longer have to tie down lumber or plywood with ratchet straps bungees or rope! I load the lumber in a level pile, and use the screws to clamp it down. I bring with or buy two 8' long 2x4s to lay across the lumber and use the two snowmobile tie down tubes (1" square tubing) to clamp the 2x4s down over the lumber. If/when I buy a utility trailer I will put in at least two nuts for the same setup. I get comments at the building center darn near every time I'm clamping down lumber. In mere seconds I'm on my way while others are struggling with trying to secure lumber to their trailer.

icon_jam.gif

Craig,
Can a guy see a picture or 2 , of your set-up ? This sounds very interesting . Something I've given thought to , but you seem to have perfected it.
Keith

Keith, I looked in my archives and these are all I can find of the trailer that show any bit of my screw down clamps. When I haul a Cub on the trailer I place a 4x4 or a stack of 2x4s one in front and one behind the front tires to help keep it in place. Very similar to how I clamp down lumber. The long screw cranks are just a 36" length of threaded rod cut in half to make two 18" screws. I then bent a crank handle out of smooth rod and had the handle and a washer welded onto one end of each threaded rod.

114569.jpg

114570.jpg

Here's a quick sketch I made to show kind of how the screw crank is made.

114571.jpg

I also made a 2x10 "box" (I believe it's 6' wide and 8' long) that I place on the snowmobile trailer and clamp down with the long crank screws and 1" square tubing for hauling loose material like wood chips, soil, gravel, firewood, etc. Here's the only photo I could find of that setup. I place the 1" square tubing across the front corners of the 2x10 box at a 45° angle.

114573.jpg

Myron-
Thanks for posting those pictures. We don't see much of those <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> trailers around these parts, so it's neat to see how they were built. I sure would like to find one of those sitting in a barn somewhere...

<font size="-2">BTW.. I agree with Kraig on seeing some of the stuff you have under those tarps!</font>
happy.gif

Steve-
I can sense that you're looking to "do this right the first time".

That said, maybe you want to consider using a Marine "Deep Cycle" battery that is made for being run down completely dead. Putting it in a plastic battery box like Denny says makes good sense also.

Either way, that's one nice set up you're getting. I like the idea of using a bed-rail tool-box. That should look slick!
thumbsup.gif

Art: All of my trailers came from old dealer sources.....I suggest that you haunt the old IH dealership locations...

Myron

Kraig,
Thanks for the pictures , now i understand your definition. Quite frankly you have fueled some thoughts on using such a threaded rod to secure a load. My wifes should be nervous, when i see things like this I get to thinking hard, and then i spend time in the garage LOLOL she shudders!!!
Thanks again
Keith

Keith, "My wifes should be nervous,..." I hope that's a typo!
icon_eek.gif
roflol.gif

I ended up getting a 2500# Warn ATV winch with a mechanical brake Model RT2500. I'm hoping that the mechanical brake will offer an improvement over some of the more basic "gear train locked" winches....BUT, I won't trust it until it proves itself (with safety straps, just in case it doesn't).

I also ordered 12 of the same 5000# flush mount tie-down rings I have on my current trailer from Northern and have a whole bunch of the 1200# little rings.....

Now I just need the trailer to come in!!!!

Kraig.
UH OHHHHH !!!!!!!! LOLOL i can't handle the one i got let alone more , yeah BIG typo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trailer just came off of the truck at the dealer today!!!! I will get it picked up Friday or Saturday!!!!!

New trailer pictures.....

I added the winch and box, but still need to add some supports to the box, install all of the winch wiring, tie downs, etc.

115722.jpg

115723.jpg

115724.jpg

115725.jpg

115726.jpg

115727.jpg

115728.jpg

Steve., AWESOME RIG! I think your winch setup will work well with the low mounting point. I can't comment on the winch itself.

Steve.....WOW.......NICE TRAILER.......
Would look even better behind my Diesel...
draw.gif

Steve - very nice trailer, good lookin truck to haul it with too.
biggrin.gif

STEVE B. - CHAIN that trailer down to something that won't move ASAP. Like a tree, Your house, a bridge or overpass on a local Interstate. NICE trailers like that too frequently come up missing.

I like all the shiny treadplate with the black paint & pinstripes.
greenthumb.gif

We're ALL envious!

Back