• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 05, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
we need a picture.! heres what i want to do today. replace the front sneakers on my 1961 O.
later Don T
old.gif

114299.jpg

Brian:
Uhh, well, he's obviously been around in the last day...(look about 10 posts below yours...)
proud.gif

Well did that , now back to paint prep work. Have a great Cub Day. later Don T
old.gif

114307.jpg

DON T. - Frt tires look good!
greenthumb.gif
Do You mind telling what brand they are? I assume 4.00 X 8's. I need frt tires for the two old Cubbies. I had something "Different" in mind but I guess I'm finding out why nobody else has tried it either! Just something I'd wanted to do for about 40+ yrs.

Thomas Bower very observant about the pressure spring. I started with the new one from the kit and when I took the clutch apart again I could see it was permanently bent so I reused my old one. I imagine that I must have bent it by over tighening my turnbuckle trying to get the clutch to release. Here is a few photos of the bent pressure spring and the adjuster gauge. I am confident I am using the correct gauge, but am still thinking the friction disk is to thick.

Jim Larson thanks I went out and verified the basket pully is right up against the engine. Also the the bearing is almost flush with the end of the shaft if anything just a little away from the shaft.
114317.jpg

114318.jpg

114319.jpg

114320.jpg

While on the topic of front tires, I was wondering what a good front tire would be for pushing snow. I have a 1450 with the wide front tires and when I am trying to turn while pushing snow I have the turning radius of a super tanker (I think I could turn my Excursion around in less space). Dad has a 149 with narrow front tires (I know a strange setup, but it was that whay when he bought it 30 years ago) and it will turn fairly well. I mow with the 1450 also and do not want something that will distroy the yard. Any suggestions.........

Dennis F the tires that i took off were cracked where the Cub had sat for years i think. So the triribs were the replacement .They are deestone 4.00 8 4 ply Made in Thailland .Bought off ebay for $45.00 i think. Later Don T
thumbsup_old.gif

Scott, they have a Vredestein 5 rib tire that would work and also a Firestone 3 rib tire that would fit your rims. I've heard both work very well. You could put on front ags like what I'm using to push snow with, but I don't know if you'd want to use them mowing.
114323.jpg

Loyd Sturm was his name the tractor is a 70 with a 7hp rebuilt to an 8hp.Nice little tractor.
114326.jpg

I pulled the rear plate off my 982 and have some questions. First off, I was surprised that I didn't find any globby gel like I thought I would, so I'm wondering if the fluid was the correct stuff. What I drained out is very dark red is it supposed to be?

Second question is a two-fer.
114330.jpg

114331.jpg

Is the gear that you can only see the top of, part of the pump? The oil level is slightly higher then that gear so I thought it was what pulled the fluid into the pump. And what is that little spline sitting above the rear end?

Thanks

-everett

Everett, that "what's this" is just the hydro pump output shaft, not normally used but could be used for a rear PTO. Here's a fluid flow diagram to help you make sense of the hydrostatic system (note that this is from the Cub Cadet 123 hydrostatic system service manual so there are some subtle changes from it and your 982). I don't recall Hy-Tran being red, sounds like someone put automatic transmission fluid in your Cub.

114333.jpg

Thanks Kraig, That's helpful. I'll have to see if I can come up with the one for my tractor, I doubt it's much different but would be nice to see.

Now I really don't know what's wrong with my Cub.

As I mentioned before, when I run it at low RPMs it drives around fine, but under full throttle or any kind of load I get a chattering that I can feel in the speed control lever. I checked all the Spirol pins connecting the drive shaft to the engine and they are fine. I was hoping to open up the rear end and find lots of gel that would be clogging things up, but that's not the problem either. I'll get it back together and hope that it was just bad fluid causing the trouble.
Is there anything else I could check or look for?

-everett

Everett D.-

I had an 1811 that did something similar to that, and it turned out to be a clogged filter.

Everett D, my 149 acted the same way... I changed the hydro fluid and filter and everything worked good afterward. Nick

/Users/macbook/Desktop/DSCF0053.JPG I finally got the cub out for it's first run singes the restoration.

Everett, I had a similar problem with a 782. Turned out to be the yoke on the front of the tranny. It was causing the drive shaft to vibrate at higher RPM's. Hope this can help.
William

Good Evening Gentlemen,
I am thnking of putting tri rib 16x6.50x8's on the front of my 106. Has anyone done it and how does it affect the sterring.

Thank YOU
Mark

Latest posts

Back