• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 04, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kostendorf

displayname
Keith Ostendorf
Wrong part Charlie, Its the throttle cable not the choke cable.

LOL,
Ok, remove it at the engine and take out 2 screws instead of one nut.
biggrin.gif

Jack, good to hear that you have your hydraulic control issue fixed.
thumbsup.gif

CHARLIE - Ahhh year ago when I was putting the 70 back together.... worst thing was getting the nut on the choke cable tightened up. TWO huge tool cabinents full of all kinds of wrenches and NOTHING would turn that nut up tight. I could get a wrench on it, but not be able to turn the wrench. Finally used one of my little "Stubby" Craftsman wrenches to turn it a half a flat at a time got it tight. The throttle cable/lever was MUCH easier.

About that nut on the choke cable. BPITA! In about 68 or 69 I fabed up a wrench like that specialized tool KD made for the Chevy distributer lock nut. I slit the box end to fit over the wire wound cable. Long handle bent 90degrees to the box end. I still have it. Worked like a charm. Wanna barrow it?

I suppose this may not be the appropriate place but just rec'd this message and thought everyone should see it, especially Charlie:

Ole & Lena
Ole used IH equipment exclusively on his farm. Government surveyors came to Ole's farm in the fall and asked if they could do some surveying.
Ole agreed, and Lena even served them a nice meal at noon time.

The next spring, the two surveyors stopped by and told Ole, "Because you were so kind to us,
we wanted to give you this bad news in person instead of by letter."

Ole replied, "What's the bad news?"

The surveyors stated, "Well, after our work here,
we discovered your farm is not in Minnesota but is actually in Wisconsin!"

Ole looked at Lena and said,
"That's the best news I have heard in a long time.
I just told Lena this morning that I don't think I can take another winter in Minnesota."

Charlie - are you getting a new zip code?

MICHAEL H. - Yes, Special Tools always work best, I do have a cheap... REALLY cheap set of combination wrenches I could have modified to work.

With a slit like a crows-foot wrench, I think Dad's old GM distributor wrench would have worked on that choke cable nut too. Dad's dist. wrench was double-ended, think 9/16ths & 5/8", and I think the nut was 5/8".

I had the steering column in which really made it hard. I had to install it as soon as I made the chassis a "roller" so I could steer it around the shop. I should have installed the choke cable before dropping the instrument pedistal down onto the frame. 20-20 hind-sight!

Denny, I think your confusing a tubing wrench (9/16 x 5/8) and a GM distributor wrench ( 1/2") but that's just a guess... :cool:

Spent the day cleaning the neighborhood today all of us. We had such a perfect system down. I even gave up some of my seat time to share the fun....Snow was wet and 8"-16" in places...
283389.jpg

283390.jpg

283391.jpg

Dennis,
"Finally used one of my little "Stubby" Craftsman wrenches to turn it a half a flat at a time got it tight."
I guess size DOES matter.

Quiteline throttle lever will fit through the dash without taking the plastic off of it...just feed it though from the bottom like a "t" bolt in a slot and attach with machine screws.

Amy,

I don't see any purple Carharts in those pictures. You must be behind the camera. Looks like alot of fun!

Nic,

lol...I was behind the camera. I was taking a break and thought id get a few good pics. I enjoy these snow days but im so ready for grass season already.

Well I had a heck of a night last night.
angry.gif

We got around 8"-10" after all said and done. Sounds like fun huh? It was until I got my drive done and was started on the neighbor's when the "pin" in the drive shaft sheared. Thanks goodness it was close. Well I got the 100 out and my son Jackson to help me tow it home. Jackson is 6 and he hasn't drove a Cub Cadet by himself yet. He was excited to help and I was very proud of him.
buttrock.gif

After looking at it, it looks like the P.O. had a bolt in it instead of a spiral pin. The hole may be "wollered out" (worn to those of you that are not "Rednecks")so I may just put another bolt in to get me through the winter and fix it properly later.
So I had to finish the three neighbors with the 100 and a shovel and let me tell you me and a shovel to not get along for very long. I didn't realize how much I appreciate the snow thrower. Anyone that doesn't have on, get one!
Here are some pics.
283416.jpg

283417.jpg

283418.jpg

283419.jpg

Shultzie, at least it sheared on the engine end, that's the easy end to replace the pin.
happy.gif
Looks like Jackson was having fun with the Tonka and as the driver of the 123,
Shift.gif
even if it was not under it's own power.

This
greenthumb.gif
is for Jackson for being a good helper!

Best tool I've used for the hated choke cable nut: I bought a cheap 3/8 in.drive socket at Fleet Farm that fit the nut (9/16ths?). They have a hex outside on the ratchet end, so a wrench fits them. Slide it over the cable and tighten away. Works well
thumbsup.gif

Latest posts

Back