• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 25, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you guys and gals have a LONG URL, do the tinyurl thing, so the page doesn't go wide for small monitors.
thumbsup.gif

TinyURL.com

Doug's modified link,
http://tinyurl.com/lub8otp

Merry Christmas to all. And tks to all who contribute to this site,

Merry Christmas to all!!
Going to get some more seat time here,another 6" of white fluffy from the big jolly fellow.

Hi every body,

I am trying to find out what is the hydraulic lifting capacity of my cub Cadet 1864?
265937.jpg

Welcome Robin!
WELCOME.gif

But you need to move this question to the "CCC & MTD machines and equiptment" thread.
correct%20police.gif

This is for IH only. You will have a lot better luck there.
Again Welcome to the forum!
wave.gif

Merry Christmas to everyone. Hope Santa was good to you.

Hope everyone is having a good couple days off for Christmas? I know I am enjoying my few days off with no real pressure to do anything, but over eat that is!
beerchug.gif

Just curious what if anything else you guys use for weight on your on your Cubs besides washer fluid/beat juice in rear tires & wheel weights? Are very many of you's finding you need to add a weight box to the rear of the Cub to get enough "power to the ground" to use a blade and/or blower in the winter? Is there ever a need to add weight to the front tires to prevent them from being "pushed" around when working the cub on snow and ice? Just curious what all else is going to be required for the 782 besides chains, wheel weights and a few cases of washer fluid.
I don't have a paved driveway so the sun will not be melting the snow and ice off in between snow falls. Driveway is gravel and well I have a path I have to blow across the lawn to get to the wood shed thats about 1500 or so feet long that ALWAYS gets drifted in it seems.

Mike Patterson - the front wheels being pushed sideways was a huge problem for me last night. The 54" blade on the front of my 1250 is huge, it's much harder to keep the Cub Cadet going straight versus a 42" blade - what I've used in the past. I have 4"x8" tri-ribs on the front.

No fluid in my tires yet, on the rear I have 2 sets of weights on turf tires plus 2 link chains and I had plenty of traction - sorta...I guess I'll never enough traction. Fluid in the tires is a plan soon. Getting my Arctic Cat ATV back from the shop will be a big plus, then I'll mount the snowthrower onto this 1250!

Mike, Vince, perhaps you need some front wheel weights.

265941.jpg

265942.jpg

265943.gif

Photos are from the archive and were originally posted over a decade ago.

Mike, First of all I'm going to say I'm no expert on this, just my experience with a 54" blade on a 1650 is it pushes snow fine with 75# on each back wheel with chains in fact it pushes snow better and faster than my 460 farmall that weighs 5500# with wheel weights and fluid in the tires. Nothing will work with enough ice on the ground, that's what salt and sand is for. My biggest problem is I don't have a blower and I'll end up driving through a tunnel because I can't get the snow far enough away from my gravel drive way which is 250 yards long up and down hills. I see you live in Canada So You probably get way more bad weather than I do. But it seems to me the more weight you hang on a tractor away from the axles the more damage it will do to the tractor it self.

Mike
I have used a 48" and my 54" blade to move snow and both work fine , but I soon run out of places to push the snow. I will be happy when I have my 450 mounted on a tractor with a Cab . I will blade the small storms on a pile and then blow it out of the way . You just need more cubs so you can do this also. I ran three IH weights and two link chain and power angle for a few storms here and that worked nice; The 450 mounted when lifted takes away so much weight from the back of the tractor that the rear end will spin I found . I have thought a cylinder mounted to the blower to push it up might be the answer : that way no weight would transfer back . a big ski or pivot wheel on the end of the cylinder might work great.
No shop time today but I will soon be back out in my shop most days. I did get a tractor wind vane from the wife for xmas lol. I will need to put that on my shop this spring when it gets much warmer.

DON T. - You TOTALLY lost me on this idea you have for a cylinder "In Front" on your snow blower.

I know you don't want to raise the blower off the ground... but what exacrtly do you want to raise?

Denny, I believe Don is thinking of a cylinder to push an idler wheel (or wheels) or a ski (or skis) down that would lift and support the blower so that no weight is taken off of the rear wheels. I would assume it would be mounted behind or off each side of the blower housing.
dunno.gif
UNDER EDIT: Denny think of a hydraulic operated tail wheel on a turning plow or the hydraulic operated wheels on a disc and how they lift the implement.

Kraig,
Ahhh....Red Green, The Tape God!
err.gif

I have an almost endless tape supply thanks to one our customers at work, heck they even send me camo tape for those night time missions so I won't be seen! I guess if I ever get a DEDICATED snow tractor, I would consider loading all four tires and then the typical two to four weights on the back with chains. I don't like the idea of the weight box hanging off the back from the stand point of the looks, as well as the fact it lengthens the tractor that much more. I would imagine getting the tractor and blower in to some of the spots I have to go will be tough enough when blowing paths to get in and out of wood shed as well as the path to the window where the firewood gets fired into each week. Something about having to work around a deck and some pine trees wedged in along the property line that makes it much more of a challenge, then throw in the snow and well, the sloap of the hill and some good old Canadian ICE! Yeah, it can be a challenge on a good day, don't need to make it that much longer of a machine to navigate around with.

Don T,
I have often wondered about the size of them blowers how much the weight is transfered off the rear end and work against you? Not sure about the multiple tractor idea Don, remember the wife!
rant.gif

Vincent,
I kinda thought that would be the case sometimes. I know when I used the blade on the ATV, it would do that often if the snow was heavy or wet, and it was 4x4 too.

Keith,
Yes, we do get crappy weather here at times. Its a mixed bag all the time it seems. If we get two or three storms in a row that is JUST snow, we are laughing. We often get ice and wind thrown in too which just adds to the headaches. I remember having to drive down tunnels with the ATV pushing snow with the blade, heck I'd have to drive three or four hundered feet down the road just to get rid of it often, would almost be to the neighbours with it just to get it out of my driveway and piled up enough. The road ditch wasn't long getting filled up when I was shoving snow!

KRAIG - Ohhh I-C! A wheel I could see helping, a ski or skids, not so much. But any added wheel up ahead of the frt wheels of the tractor carrying weight would reduce weight and therefore traction from the frt wheels used to steer the tractor. Rear traction may be improved, would depend on conditions I would think. Added rear weight would work better IMO.

FWIW, then I push snow with my #1 snow mover, I carry the frt wheels in the air about a foot and steer with the brakes, and even when I have the blade up to back up or go forward to drag more snow back, I still end up steering with the brakes. I have live 2-way hyd on that tractor, there's a real fine line between having enough weight on the frt wheels and beaing able to turn and having them slide. My valve has no "Float" position, so my blade will not follow ground contours.

God gave me a late Christmas present today. 2-3 inches of seat time on the 147.

Latest posts

Back