• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Looking for some guidance on a (782 based) Cub Cadet Post Hole Digger

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkoenig

In Remembrance 2023
displayname
Jim Koenig Halfway between Harvester, MO and Cadet, MO
I would like to rework the fence around our pool, and am trying to get my 782 involved for a couple of reasons: 1) anything that makes my bride’s pool life more enjoyable has value to her, and 2) I do not want to dig the post holes. Searching this forum (for post hole digger) brings up one rear PTO powered custom unit with few details, and many, many, many posts by some guy named Charlie Proctor, haha.

Related factoids believed reliable:

I have a 782 with no rear PTO, and do not expect to find/fund one for this project.
Web research tells me that most PHDs run somewhere around 200 rpm.
Tiller gearbox ratio is 3:2
Snowblower gearbox ratio is 2:1
Expected auger size would be 6-9” dia.

Here are some ideas, and questions I have come up with:
  1. Start with a tiller mule drive, and gearbox
a) can I reduce mower PTO speed low enough?, How?
b) will the tiller right angle gearbox hold up?
c) how to drive the PHD form the tiller box: belt, chain, shaft?
d) could I “borrow” a printing press bearing cartridge/shaft mount for a double
pulley speed reduction , and belt shortening feature.
e) could I use a mower spindle for a double pulley reduction point As above?
f) should I use a tiller gearbox, or a snowblower gearbox?
  1. How to mount the PHD: sleeve hitch style 3 point, or Category 0 3 point?
  2. Start with a store-bought Cat 0 PHD, or build?
    a) if building the frame, will exhaust pipe bent at a muffler shop hold up
  3. How to guard the belt or chain drive if used? Shafts seem to be left unguarded.
  4. Is there an affordable hydraulic power head capable of driving a PHD this size, and would the hydro pump be able to power it, or would it need a dedicated pump?
  1. Would a salvaged printing press right angle gearbox be suitable, and what ratios do we use? Which customer has a suitable gearbox that I could convince that they need a new one...haha.
  2. Do I have anything in my Johnny Cash printing press stash that might be useful? Likely a double pulley mount/shaft assembly for speed reduction.
Anyone with experience using a PHD is encouraged to comment pro, con, what to look for, what to build in, ...?

Thanks,
Jim

20-30 holes for now, but the number could get over 100. My whole yard is fenced and the contractor did not match the land contours well at all. It seems like I have alternating panels. Up, down, up, down, ...

Go rent one of these and go up and down. I prolly dug around 2000 holes in my days as a deck builder. Used these and one on a bobcat, and then the dreaded two handle style.

LG-Ground-Hog-HD99-Large-a_1000.jpg

indexb.jpg

I know they are right, but I like to HAVE stuff, not rent stuff.

Did I mention that this first round of holes will be mostly under my deck, and overhead all space will be limited?

I do notice that BOTH of the suggestions are hydraulically operated. I am hoping to find parts from something like those to use for a build if I decide to build. That leads to the question of what hydraulic specs would be needed, and can our hydrostatic drive pump do the job, or would this need its own pump? I would imagine different powerheads will have somewhat differing requirements

That would absolutely need its own pump.

A hydraulic pump and motor would probably be the easiest way to do this. Surplus Center has a large selection of all things hyrdraulic, and their website is where I'd start looking for parts and pieces.

I know they are right, but I like to HAVE stuff, not rent stuff.
snip
Me too. When I need a tool I usually go out and buy/build it, with very few exceptions.
Speaking from my own experience, I would go the hydraulic route. Getting an auger stuck on a root or something is a daunting experience with no reverse!
(I have a PHD that I bought a couple of years ago. It was one of two "free" attachments that came as part of a new Kubota tractor purchase. My new property is going to be needing all new fencing around and within, so I opted for a PHD. I've done about 400' of fencing so far, and only snagged it once, but I haven't really gotten into the tree-lined sides yet. So far I've only stood the tractor on its rear-end once, but it took me a couple of hours unhooking the PTO and then unscrewing the auger from the ground with a pipe wrench and a loooong cheater pipe. ;-) )
So go hydraulic, hands down! I think you're going to need a substantial pump to drive it. Maybe look into the portable rental models for some ideas on specs for the pump and motors? Northern Tool has a pretty good selection of pumps, motors, rams, valves, etc.

SON and I built the back yard fence for one of my Wife's friends. We set 15 posts using one of those two-man post hole diggers. I was absolutely SHOCKED when she carried her Dad manual post hole digger out of her garage to clean up the first hole.
Unless your going to build much more fence, set many more posts, or plant 100 trees & bushes I'd rent vs build or buy.
Do an Internet search on "Continental post hole digger". I think Dad bought his in the late 1940's. We dug 1000's of holes with it. No 3-pt hitch needed, bolted to the drawbar on the '39 H and Super H, just had to drop the swinging drawbar, I could attach it in 2-3 minutes by the time I was 14-15 yrs old. Dad had a 12", 16" and 24" auger for it. He planted lots of trees with it. Think it sold for $5-$10 at his last auction July of 2006.

I found some info about the Continental. They look pretty handy. One thread mentioned one taking a guy’s arm off...I guess most powered post hole diggers could do that under the wrong circumstances.

Thanks Dennis.

Back