Archive through December 23, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, hopefully someone has a better solution then the lame one I gave you.
help.gif

Greg Lippert - Here's another discussion on roll pin punches that Kraig McConaughey posted some time ago. May give you some more ideas.

Todd Heaton - I know what you're talkin' bout bud.

Kraig McConaughey - You're probably right about the hold over. Maybe IH used the same jig for all the 38 and 42 decks and just decided to bore all the holes the same for both on the later decks?!?!?!? Your gauge wheel brackets are like mine and in the same place on the deck, however, my brackets have 4 holes on the small plate side that mounts to the deck apron. I guess for more options for height mounting maybe. Regardless I guess I have a set of 38 deck half round runners I no longer need.

Thank you everyone for the input. I do appreciate your help figurin' this out. I sure appreciate and it's nice to know I have you guys here to ask my dumb question.

111964.gif

Kenneth

Kraig:
I was trying to find out why a three year old tank bladder failed... Turns out that where the two halves of the tank were welded, there was an inwards pucker in the seam overlap - I let the air pressure go low in the tank, it stretched the bladder every time the tank filled and the pucker eventually rubbed a hole in the bladder. That, you young ones, is why you check the air pressure in a bladder tank at least once a year. And believe it or not, the tank eventually got cut into pieces and scrapped.....(my wife thought I'd had a stroke or somethin') I couldn't decide whether to make a fire pit or a forge and just freaked out one day...

Oh, and to keep this on topic, hint for the day:
Those nice looking molded replacement seat covers that you can buy cheap at tractor shows may be a little more fragile than the originals - that vinyl may be a little thinner and much more brittle in cold weather (like today) and if you heave your foot over the back and plop into the seat, leaning back, it <u>may</u> end up just as cracked as the original that lasted 30 plus years and took four pairs of vice grips and an hour of fighting to replace
bash.gif

Merry Christmas one and all!!!

I'm getting tired of the snow on top of snow storms we have been getting here in SEMN as of late. Think my rear end has Cub Cadet tattoed all over it because the 582M with a 42" blade and the 1864 with a 451 snowblower have been working ot to keep up keeping the driveway and sidewalk open. And then of course ya throw in the little "electrical gremlins" that like to blow fuses when it is well below zero!!!!

CHARLIE - STOP SNOW DANCING!!!!!!!!!
sad.gif
sad.gif

Mat on that grill you want to straighten get some wood strips and a piece of ¾ plywood use furring strips, lay on plywood between where you want to pull a dent,bubble and carefully with wallboard screws long enough to reach through grill with a washer you should be able to make a big difference, without hammering . It may take time to tweak it a little

Kraig, none taken. We all got a good laugh. Now when I check out the forum at home, I usually have an audience. That's why I figured I'd ask the daughter about the IMO's...etc. No offence taken, we got a kick out of the whole thing. When I got home yesterday, the kids already had the forum brought up on the computer and wanted to see if you answered me back. LOL Nick
err.gif

SCOTT, TODD - I think Kraig has some pic's of the changes I made to my 38" deck. It never trimmed close enough to suit Me on the left side so I used a saber saw to cut off about an inch of steel and wrapped the ends around leaving about 1/8" clearance to the blade. The discharge chute always plugged in heavy and/or damp grass so I increased the width of it as far as I could. Plus I replaced the baffles under the deck with 2" tall versions instead of the stock 1-1/2", plus I put a horizontal lip an inch wide just behind the forward edge of the deck, it holds the grass down and allows clippings to exit the deck better. And I put a set of the spherical gauge wheels on the front like Kendell's deck has on in the picture of Him "Pulling His Calf". I also blueprinted the deck like the write-up Steve B. has in the FAQ's, everything is flat, bearings are tight, I have the front tips of the blades about 1/16"-1/8" lower than the rear. I have to be careful to keep the blades straight, sharpen them frequently, make sure the grass is dry when I mow, and watch rear tire pressure, a pound or two difference between the rear tires effects how it mows side-to-side.

I'm still not real happy with the way the little short blades on the ends mow, they're too short in My opinion, the 38" decks have different pulley ratios and they spin so fast they actually pull harder than a bigger deck. Now that I have more HP in the 72 I mow with most of the time I'd like to modify a 42" deck the same way I've done the 38" deck. I think the bigger outside blades would lift the grass run down by the front wheels better. Plus I have a couple places in the yard where I can't fit My 50" deck on the 982 into because of trees, and a 42" or 44" deck is all the wider I can run in those places. I only mow in first gear with the 72 because it has the fast 19T 2nd gear and that extra 4" per pass would reduce My mowing time about 10%. My 38" deck doesn't mow as nice as a Simplicity deck but it's real close. Definitely better than the 50" deck on the 982. Plan is to get the 70 refurbished, turn it into a 100 with the old K241 out of the 72 and run the modified 38" deck on it. The 70 has the slow 16T 2nd gear and that's a much better mowing gear than the 19T. I do have the 38" deck from the 70, it's the later model with the steel ends, not the CI deck, I may try to convert it into a modified 42" deck like the 38" for use on the 72. Lord knows I have enough scrap steel sitting around and enough welders.

Those old mower decks were made from heavy enough steel You can arc weld them easily. I didn't have My MIG welder when I made the changes, just the AC Buzz Box and I used 3/32" 7014 rod to do all the welding. But I REALLY need another mower deck around. No room now to walk around the shop without walking from the tires & footrests from one Cub to the next.

HELLO, WISHING EVERYONE A MERRY CHRISTMAS HERE AT THE CUB CADET FORUM.......

Latest posts

Back