• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 19, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art - You really have to watch that Kraig guy when he has his cameras in hand, because ya know he is gonna "frame ya" LOL
happy.gif

Todd-
Ken's right. Older small engines in the fire service (usually on old Gorman-Rupp portable pumps) you'll have a pulley like that, and usually tied on the pump somewhere is a length of rope with a knot on one end and a dowel tied on the other. BTDT, but when you're at a creek at 3 in the morning and that old engine's recoil breaks, it's your last shot.

Charles, Art is almost right, not about the nut-job comment but that I want to build a Cub Cadet based utility vehicle. I do want to build a Cub Cadet based utility vehicle but I do not want to build it as a double rear axle Gator style. I want to build it with side by side seating with a single rear axle. I have been collecting photos and ideas for several years now. How big of files can your email handle?
happy.gif
Here is the one that KENtucky was referring to it was built by Warren Newton.

74093.jpg

74094.jpg

74095.jpg

Can you imagine the turning radius of that thing ... it'd be about as bad as the yellow "dump truck" I made.

Kraig - Send your pics AND parts down here and let's
74098.gif

good morning all,its a nice day here snow is (fluffy stuf)coming down and some of my Cub Parts have arrived. i now can tell it takes 10 working days to arrive here from Min.now have to order more parts for a 10 hp kol. i need a head the 1 i have has a bad plug hole and want to replace along with a steering arm for a 100.Thanks for the heads up on Don B and his engine problem. that makes me ask the Question ( should the person be baned for all sites for selling parts?)I think when you know enuf to post what you did this should happen to protect what we love about our sport Cubbing. just my .02
coffee.gif

KENtucky, I might have to take you up on that.... Umm, I'd bring the coffee too.
roflol.gif

Here's a mock up of what I want to build. Except for the rear fenders, I'd do that differently and I'd like some sort of roll cage.

74102.jpg

If I had the talent and the tools I'd like to make a mid engine 4x4 version. But I'd have to fab up some sort of transfer case between the hydro pump and rear differential in order to lower the engine and to get a drive shaft to the front differential.

74104.jpg

Or perhaps just a rear wheel drive mid engine version.

74105.jpg

Ryan K.

That column for the Original you have is a factory replacement. They changed the casting at some point after production ended in 1963. That's why it's black. Guy Louderback sells them every once in a while totally rebuilt with the "Super Steering" upgrade. They go for a pretty penny rebuilt. I wish I had one on my CCO w/ loader but I'll have to settle for a standard column.

BTW, I don't have any paperwork to back up my comments, just relaying what I've read elsewhere on the internet.

Keith

Kraig ya just need one of these , I picked it up on ebay last month , best $1500. I have ever spent , I use it daily . I thought I needed 4 wheel drive but this thing is pretty much un stopable with the differential lock and floatation tires .
74107.jpg

Keith, Thanks for the info, now it makes sense to me why it's different. I take it it's better then the original one because of the bigger more heavy duty bolt?

Ryan,
Yes, I think the original bolt was 1/2" and the replacement box used a 5/8" bolt and like you said, the more adjustable end plug. There is also somewhat a different box casting as there should be a protrusion on the normally just round top side of the box.

This is a standard Original column:
74111.jpg

Upgrade Original column:
74112.jpg

These pics are from completed auctions. Not mine.

Keith

The latest Jeg's catalog arrived the other day (Jeg's is a hot rodders and drag racers parts catalog) and I noticed that you can buy a brand new GM small block 350 truck motor with 200 hp for $2000 and $150 for shipping. I am perplexed why a new Kohler 25 Command or a KT17 is 2000...plus $150 shipping.

Differences in volume aside, just the sophistication of the SBC, quantity of precision machining, and plain old quantity of IRON would seem to dictate that motor would be twice as much but it isn't.

Maybe Kraig ought to put a SMB in that 4x4 cub.
buttrock.gif

Yes that second picture is exactly the one I got, except mines black. Thanks alot!! A little hidden treasure in that cub I bought that time
biggrin.gif

Rich, I'd love to have one of those if I could ever find one! The only one I've ever seen in person was at a IH dealer in Wisconsin. They used it around their yard to haul parts and such and it was well used. Looks like your's is in good condition.

74114.jpg

74115.jpg

With the talk about modifying cubs - does anyone have CAD drawings of the 82 series? What do you guys use when planning modifications? Pencil and paper with some measurements jotted down, or fly by the seat of the pants? (Cut, mockup, weld, etc.)

Rich, have you ever seen a PUG Wilderness? I think that PUG was the designer of the Cub Cadet model 4016 Utility....

74117.jpg

74118.jpg

Ross, my guess, all of what you wrote:. "Pencil and paper with some measurements jotted down, or fly by the seat of the pants? (Cut, mockup, weld, etc.)" The drawings I posted were cut and paste in MS Paint. The drawings originated from the Operator's Manuals "Lubrication Guide" section. Here's a page from a Cub Cadet 1x4/5 Operator's Manual:

74120.jpg

I think I hear that mean ol bear opening the door starting into the room ...

Hey he got ONE on topic day !
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back