• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 11, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
Just tossing it out there as a suggestion..I have seen improvement on the walk behind machines.Different makes, 3 and 4 bladed impellars. They all had about 3/8 gap between Blade and tunnel.
Yesterday was a dud. The weatherman sensationilized the heck out of "The Storm" it snowed for about 1 hour and the roads and cars were clean by the time I left work.
What is te definition of a Storm. What we got was just precipitation. no high winds, no lightening. It wasn't even intended to be a storm it was just supposed to be snowfall.
yeah Throwing snow when teh wind is whipping isn't any fun

Two words: Windbreaker Cab.
happy.gif

That's one cold rear view mirror. Hope your heater works.

HA!

Keeping it on topic---- hoping to get some seat time with the cub/snow blade as they are forecasting 3-4 inches on saturday.

Dang Charlie! Anyone living in Minnesota has got to be a crazy sum bum! But then again I'm in Indiana and it is suposed to be right at zero tonight. Brrrrrrr...
dizzy.gif

Charlie,keep the cold up north please an ty. Its going to be like 0 F here tonight an anymore thats just too cold for me. I cant imagine - 27 F right now....

Gee Charlie it was only a high of -2 and now it has dropped to a -11. I knew we should have insulated the border !
I was going to push some snow today, but thought better of it.
Give the149 more work this weekend hopefully warm er

Anybody notice that recently in the Antarctic the coldest recorded temp. was reached... -128.6F ...
That will keep your Cub from starting up !
yikes.gif

Wow,, we don't get that cold, but we are at 1 degree f and may go to -7..

And my 169 started this morning with out a boost in a 40ish degree barn

Charlie - been goofing around with the UD6 creeper off and on all day. Got everything clean, shifter shaft moving well from high to low but think I have an issue. The large lower gear is moving on the shaft so when the upper gear engages the lower gear for high (I think it's high?) the gears are only engaging/meshing maybe an eighth of an inch or so. There is a tiny bit of wear on the edges where they engage which seems to indicate some measure of slipping. I can take a screwdriver and move the lower gear an eighth or more from the inner case wall and all is good. Seems like the lower large gear should not have much, if any, side to side movement so I'm wondering what might be allowing it. Also, I can move the spacer around on the lower shaft which seems odd as well. Wondering if a shaft clip might have broken allowing movement in the gear? Guess my next question is if I have to go in for gear/shaft surgery can the big welch plugs be had for replacement. If I use it "as is" I'm eventually gonna ruin some otherwise good gears. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Terry D.
Rough edges on the gears is not uncommon due to idiots not knowing how to use the creeper correctly, so a little wear is normal.
To be honest, I've never had the need to look for the plugs as I HAD a box of 40+.
Maybe someone here can fill you in where or what size they are.
What you might do if no one chimes in, would be take it to your local intelligent parts man and have them measure them up. Just a thought.

Under edit,
I would fill it with Hytran or 10 weight and work the gears and see if they will move closer for ya before I went to ripping into it. Just my 3 cents.

Thanks Charlie - I'll get the plug measured up just in case. If I stick a screwdriver between the case and that big lower gear it slides right where all gears are fully meshed which seems like where they should be. Have you had occasion to notice if that big gear is supposed to move on the shaft? And, speaking of good parts guys, a local machinist that's helped me actually tore one of my NF hydro lifts apart, measured every O ring and seal for the pump and cylinder, ordered everything and installed them to be sure they fit. Charged me $30 and ended up with enough stuff to rebuild a dozen or so. Good dude and clearly a closet Cub fan. Not the most jovial fella I've ever met but he can dang sure "git er done"!

Just an up date. It took two strong young men to put that snowthrower on the 126. The problem is getting around that front casting, but its on and ready to go. I put the snowplow on the 782D in 5 minutes by myself. That's easy, nothing in the way. On the QA36 the gear box is all sealed up, should I add some grease to it? It ran good the last time I used it a few years ago.

Up there in the trees, Charlie, you don't get much wind. On the prairie it is really cold is when it is -20 degrees F, and a 15-30 mph wind from the northwest. I'll leave the Cub Cadet, and everything else, in the garage until absolutely necessary.

Charlie, interesting seeing that aerial photo. I didn't realize your wood pile was that close to where the buildings are/were.

I have not tried to start my 125 even though the driveway could use some clean up. When it's below zero it does NOT like to start. It's in an unheated tarp garage. Even using the heat magnet to warm up the Hy-Tran it doesn't like to start when it's below about 10°F. The weather guessers are saying it's supposed to get up to around 18°F today, problem is I have other more pressing projects to attend to. No seat time for me.

Yesterday was "funny". Started @ 6:30 AM with a call from SON. I really needed my sleep, BIG night the night before, but well... I can sleep when I'm dead.

Five calls total over the next four hours talking to SON for 2-1/4 HOURS tr<font face="courier new,courier">ansformed the old 70 from a lawn mower to a snow pusher. SON's been around CC's since he was 6-8 months old, been running them since age 7-8, but I normally do the work on them and he watches, Supervises. So it's kinda new to him working on them, but he's good at something once he's done it once.

Mower deck & mule drive came off in a minute, blade & undercarriage set out in frt of the tractor. I told him I used a ratchet strap to hold the blade back onto the rockshaft while bolting the blade on the frt mounts. Ten minutes the first time and he had the blade on, and half of that was talking to me on the phone.

Then came the TIRE CHAINS. After 15 minutes of complete frustration, they appear to be 8-10 inches too short to go around the 6-12 GY turf tires. Not sure what's up with that, I've had those chains almost 30 years and they fit really loose, almost "FALL ON", but we'll get that straightened out X-mas. SON think's they're the wrong chains, but my only other small pair are 24-9.00X11 ATV chains and they fit my 23-8.50 Firestones really loose so they would have fit the 6-12's even looser. Only other two pair I have fit 12.4X38's & 13.6X38's and one of those pair are mounted already, the other pair are hidden for safe keeping.

End result was good, with SON's 250# in the seat, plus 150# of wheel weights, the 70 still pushed packed frozen snow just fine.

SON did aske for my 200W mag. heater to stick on the oil pan of the K241 in the 70. Warm oil on a cold start is a GOOD THING! Tractor had been in SON's warm garage so started instantly.

All of SON's co-workers rip on him about using a CC, they all have off-topic green/wellow tractors, but they're 10 and 30+ yrs newer, doubt they even run when they're almost 49 yrs old!</font>

Latest posts

Back