• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 05, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone,

Couple questions:

1.) What replacement ribbed front tires are the best to use for 16x650-8 tires? What tires are you guys using? I searched the archive but didn't find anything on the subject.

2.) I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'll ask the dumb question again. On my 149 the hood has a small notch just above the exhaust pipe exit. I see that notch on some 149 hoods but not on others. When did this occur from IH and why on some and not on others? Just curious to know why.

111033.gif

Kenneth

I got to spend some time in the garage today working on the 100.

First I installed the REPRO <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> cigar lighter I got from oemtractorparts.com...
From what I can tell, it's a pretty good copy.
111038.jpg

I copied the same factory mounting location as the dash on my 71 which comes with a factory chrome plug that you pop out when you want to put one of these in.

Then I reinstalled the transmission. I learned a litte trick for getting a spirol pin "started" in the driveshaft coupler. Usually you need 3 hands to do this while lying under the tractor; one to hold the spirol pin, one to hold a punch, and the third to run the hammer...

I have a "Craftsman" tapered punch that is about 12" long. I found that if I put the right sized "deep well" socket over the tip, I could drop the spirol pin into the socket and use this "new" tool to get the spirol pin started with the two hands I was born with...Much easier!
happy.gif

111039.jpg

Here's what the old girl looks like as of now. A couple more details, and she will be ready for that engine you see sitting on the floor
Shift.gif

111040.jpg

Don T-
Glad you got the 14K running good. Take a close look at the Gov. gear you pulled out of the engine and see if you can tell what doesn't look right. It would be nice to know what to look out for..

Kenneth-
I don't think that notch in the hood was anything the factory did. I think that comes about from the exhaust rubbing the lower edge of the hood. It could be a product of a broken hood hinge, a worn down fiberglass dash console, or an incorrectly installed exhaust.
dunno.gif

Oh, and by the way, I also learned something about myself today...

My distain for narrow frame cubs is directly, but inversely related to how near the tractor is to "fully assembled".

When the tractor is "parts", it's fine, but as the tractor starts coming back together, my use of make-shift tools, foul language, and cut/bruised hands increased exponentially!!!

Grrrr!!!!
rolleyes.gif

Dec.7, 1941: The day that shall live in Infamy...
111043.jpg

Good morning everyone.Well the 127 came to me yesterday on a trailer.Owner says there is no spark.Coil is off and the plug is out.Made some room in the shop and pushed him in.Put my test light on the positive bat terminal and monitored ground on the points wire-no ground.So I put the battery on charge and went in for supper.Later I will inspect the points.Have a great day.K.W.

Oh buy the way how do I get a picture of the clutch on the front of the engine on this 127 hydro_Owner says its broken-he just got this tractor so no history there either.Thanks-K.W.

ART - Just keep reminding Yourself..."What Doesn't KILL You makes You Stronger". I have OEM's '09 catalog right here by the 'Puter. You spend enough $$$$$$ with them You get one every year. Good place to do business with. I used to drive right by them on Rt. 24 in CHENOA, IL, east end of town, about 25 miles east of Steve B's plowday farm. I could never stop in however, was normally in the WAY early AM hours during the weekends when Son was at Purdue.
Another easy way to remove/install those NF driveshaft rollpins is to RAISE the frt of the tractor so it's totally verticle, I've got pic's here of the 72 in that position the day after PD#4 I think it was.

Art
Just keep telling yourself it takes a real man to <strike>cuss a</strike> uhhh work on an early narrow frame, unlike working on one of those newer sissy models that you can get to everything on. Just keep telling yourself that.....it seems to make it easier. <font size="-2">Or you could just go Cub Cadet tippin', that makes it easier to get to.....</font>

Back