• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 05, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rchristensen

displayname
Richard Christensen
Wes H. Sounds to me like you have a bad head gasket. If you don't catch it in time it will ruin the head.

So whats it mean when your V/R is smoking? I thought I had all this crap taken care of. There is a wire that appears to be some kind of fuse(?)looking thing on the back side of the V/R that was smoking like crazy. I shut off the tractor and tried restarting it and it wont turn over, it sounds like the starter solenoid is clicking but thats it, and thats brand new. I'm gonna shoot that frickin thing!
bash.gif
angry.gif
explotar2jr.gif

Scott-
I'm not sure if this helps or not, but it means you let the smoke out.

Once you let the smoke out of something, they ususally won't work anymore, and new smoke is NLA.
construction.gif

Anyone make their own deck runners on both sides for a 38 deck? If so what type metal bar did you use and where did you get it?
110957.jpg

110958.gif

Kenneth

Aaytay - you crack me up dude! LOL.

Sorry Scott I'm NOT laughin' about your situation! Sounds like you may have a short somewhere in your wiring?

Kenneth

I figured as much! My grandad says he has a V/R that will work up at his house, I just have to go get it. I can buy a V/R at NAPA that will work on that 106 as well but cant really afford to considering the time of year. So I will give him a call to see if he has found it yet. Will another brand of V/R from another brand of garden tractor work or should I stick with what's on it?

Home of the Plow Special (Aaytay) this is another reason for me to read this every day LOL
rofl.gif
uhoh.gif
roflol.gif
flame.gif

Kenneth, I'm laughing about the smoking thing too! I can recheck the wiring harness to make sure but not today! its hovering around 22 degrees and windy so I'm not going to be out in the shed freezing my a!! off.

Art,

Au Contraire Mon Frair....

110965.jpg

<font color="119911">DON'T SHOOT IT SCOTT!!! Thats what dem white tails are for!! LOL
Shotgun.gif
draw.gif
</font>

For the uninitiated, or those never fortunate enough to have a British vehicle with components by Lucas (see also - Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness), here is the complete explanation.
Scott - shame on you for pushing that bogus stuff sold on e-pay - everyone knows <u>that</u> smoke was actually captured from old Vespa magnetos and will not re-inject into most electrical items, unless they are soaked in garlic sauce....
clappy.gif

Greg L, Kraig,
Kraig
You were close. According to the list of hardware abbreviations in the TC-157 parts manual (wide frames), Znp = Zinc Plated.

bottle of Smoke. well i had a 1973 Norton british police innerstate and they had terrible wireing. You realy had to clean all grounds and i used the electric rear windor defroster glue to repair a broken wire end. washing to rapidly lol. she and cubs share some sim. later Don T

Paul - Thanks.
Kraig - you were dead on with zinc plated.
Art, Kendell, Scott, et al - you guys are crackin' me up! (Smoke = NLA)
clappy.gif

Ok, I got that V/R from my grandad. it has 4 posts on it marked as follows starting from the top F, BAT, and L on the other side of it, it has GEN. I know what the the F,Bat,and GEN are for, but whats the L for? I'm pretty sure this one wont work, or will it?

I was "smoking" but that was from the cigar not the V/R. Although that was smoking too, and I was not enjoying it! Not one bit!! LOL
bubbly.gif
Just read that "smoke theory"! Funny stuff!!!!

My grandson is a little nervous about his 1250 being torn apart. He just trusts me when I tell him his tractor was sick, and seems confident in grandpa's ability to get it all back together. (I think he's more confident than me!)

110981.jpg

And he has excellent taste in headgear.

110982.jpg

And, since I finally took the plunge and put heat in my garage, there'll be no excuse now for me not to get that thing repaired, repainted, and reassembled before spring!

110983.jpg

Greg, put a wrench in his hand and smear some hy-tran on the boy!

Scott Stanton - Regarding your VR. I'm not sure what the L is on the VR your holding in your hand but could it be the ground? You'd probably be better off sticking with the VR that belongs in your 106 (PN IH-545130-R92). Now, the schematic below is not for a 106 but it's for an 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 149, 169 and I know the 149 takes the same VR, but I'm not sure how close your 106 is to any of them.

One thing you should look into doin' when you get a chance is clean your ground connections and make sure they all have a solid connection. That could be one of the issues causing your VR to "lose smoke".

CCSpecilties has the VR you need.

110987.gif

110988.gif

Kenneth

I went through some of the wiring diagrams at cubfaq.com that Charlie has set up. The only models that had the "L" on them are the "O" model and 100. It seems that it looped back to the ignition switch. What a shame though, except for some dust from sitting around for years, this thing is practically brand new. I dont have the ground hook up on mine, but I dont see where that would matter. I think if it did have a ground that it doesnt have now, it would possibly work better.

Back