• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 24, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdorow

displayname
Paul Dorow
Dennis

I remember the 1970's vintage Arctic Cat El Tigre (snowmobile) free air engines-- they had thermocouples under the spark plugs, connected to temp. gauges. Kraig knows what I'm talking about. The thermocouples looked like an closed ring crimp connector, you had to keep them clean though. They were probabbly a type J thermocouple.

I have two on my two stroke powered CGS Hawk
light aircraft.
Check website 800-airwolf.com type cht in search box....
Joe

Hi guys been a while since I posted but I have picked up a couple more cubs 1 Jan of 73 149 with frnt blade and rear tiller and a OT 1811 which is in need of some work. The 149 had a broken rod so the 147 eng became the donner and is working strong. Hydraulics woo hoo

Wayne S Kemp Manufacturing hmm I have a single wheeled trailer here made by Kemp. Its attatched to my 61 Scout 80. I have never been able to find any info on Kemp , if you know more send me an email pls.

Don T glad to here you survived the hurricane I've been thinkin of ya. Awaiting more 129 info patiently hehe.

Ryan, not sure if you want this but here it is anyway
147 #388343
K321A
sn# 4378068
spec# 60166d
has lower dip and upper fill tube
I tryed to figure out what I had and got confused (easily done here)
168665.jpg

Scott T & Kraig - It never ceases to amaze me how much I learn from this forum. I never knew what the M meant on the 59M, and I'd never heard of the 59P. Of course I'm not surprised that you have pictues & info on it, Kraig. And I like your theory, Scott, that P stands for portable. M must mean mounted, huh? It doesn't really matter if it's right or wrong - I'll be able remember the model numbers now with those "identifiers" firmly entrenched in my grey matter! (No sense wasting brain cells on important stuff, right?)
dunno.gif

Bruce, thanks for the info. Next chance I get I'll do what you suggested. While I'm waiting do you know where I can pick up a deal like you found. I'm afraid that might be a little harder for me as IHCC's are pretty scarace in Texas. Any suggestions? Thanks

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Kendal Harvey (Kharvey) on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 05:13 pm:

MY 147 is 386177 with a two dipstick K321.
Spec6099A
Serial 3056892
The 6099 and 6099A are the same engine except the A means special oil pan, correct?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Kendal H.,
Thanks for your "dual tube" info!
thumbsup.gif

-- Your tractor ID # 386177 would indicate a April, 1971 manufacture date.

-- Your engine serial # indicates it was also manufactured in 1971.

-- I haven't been able to determine just what the significance is of the 'A' at the end of the <font color="0000ff">Spec #</font> 6099A.
Although the data table does indicate that 6099 refers it to being a Replacement/Universal Service engine.

I think you're thinking of the 'A' at the end of the <font color="ff0000">MODEL #</font>. IT is the 'A' at the end of the <font color="ff0000">MODEL #</font> that indicates a 'special oil pan' engine.
<font color="aa00aa">Was your MODEL Number K321 or K321A?
Is your engine data tag a sticker or a riveted plate?</font>

Don B.,
Thanks for your "dual tube" info!
thumbsup.gif

-- Your 147 tractor ID #388343 indicates it was manufactured in April of 1971.

-- The engine Model # K321A. The K321 indicates a 14HP engine and the 'A' indicates it was equipped with a special oil pan.

-- The engine Serial # 4378068 indicates an engine manufacture date of 1972. (Hmmm, now how can that be - the tractor was made at least 8 months before the engine was made? I would guess that the tractor had an engine change with a newer engine intended for tractor use.)

<font color="ff6000">Don, Would you mind looking again at the ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER to make sure it is 4378068. Maybe the four should be a 3?
Also, is your engine data tag a sticker or a riveted plate?)</font>

-- The engine Spec # 60166d indicates the engine was intended to be installed into a tractor. I don't yet know the significance of the 'd'.

Ryan Wilke
greenthumb.gif
}}

Mike howard, which transmission do you have? Does the driveshaft go back to a 90 degree gearbox with a belt drive to the transmission?

TG
Deals like that are scarce around here too, I just got lucky I guess and was at the right place at the right time. I happened to pick it up at our local steam and tractor show http://www.marylandsteam.org/ which is coming up soon here in Maryland. The block was pretty much equivalent to a short block but it did have issues. It had already been bored out .030, and the camshaft was bad, but a quick sizing up revealed a clean round bore, a well-fitting piston and no play in the rod journals. Some years I don't find anything I can use, that year I came home with 2 usable engines (the other a K241).

There are also the usual sources, such as Craigslist and that "Auction Site", but word of mouth also yields some buys as well.

Ryan Wilke, Kendal,
I think there is some confusion or some mis- interpretation of the spec numbers on the Kohler engines. I am not sure what the "data table" is that refered to, but using a Kohler Master Parts Manual (the copy I have was last updated 4/88), the Spec number 6099A that Kendal gave is a standard Spec number for a 14 hp engine. According to Kohler Engines Slection Guide for Replacement Engines, Service Engines, Short Blocks, Miniblocks, TP-2088A,(undated) the suggested Service/Replacement Engine for Spec number 6099A is Spec number 60226. The only Service engines listed as available were Spec numbers 60221, 60226, 60272, although the chart in the manual does also list numbers 6020, 6021, 6064, those numbers are not listed as available. Service/replacement engines may or may not need to have parts from the engine being replaced intalled on the new engine, or may require additional modification or the use of installation kits to make the replacement engine fit the original application.

Universal Service Engines listed for K321 & K321A engines are listed as spec numbers 60187, 60188 for the K321 engine, and spec number 60189 for the K321A. Basically the differences are in the overall size, crank, & oil pan. Universal engines may require modifications or conversions to the ignition system, fuel tank and starting motor, to fit the application.

Someone posted pictures of what appeared to be an IH manual for replacement engines, that listed IH part numbers ending in an R or C number, with engine spec numbers in ( ). Don't confuse those IH part numbers with the spec numbers on the engine.

The letter suffix's at the end of the spec number mean there was/is a modification or change to the basic engine, and that could change the variation number of a given part for a given application. A dealer would only look up parts by the basic spec #, and then use the suffix letter if it shows as being applicable to that part.

So I don't believe all of the spec numbers people have listed are replacement engines, but depending on the spec number, are original to the tractor and were intended for use in that tractor. Basically the "two dipstick" engines are engines with balance gears, that are in the 1X6/7 series narrow frame tractors.

Paul B.,
Thanks for sharing your insight and knowledge on these engines!
thumbsup.gif

The 'data tables' I referred to are provided in our FAQ sections. The Engine data plate info is from: http://cubfaq.com/questions.html , see Question #29.
The Tractor manufacture data is from: https://www.ihcubcadet.com/IHCCFAQ/ see Question #10.

As is mentioned in the Question #29 data, the letter suffix on the Spec # indicates a 'variation of the basic engine'. This coincides with your explanation.

I also would suspect that many of the Spec #s have been superseded - I'm only going by what is in the FAQ data. I don't really think the issue of whether or not the engine had a Spec # designated as TRACTOR USE or REPLACEMENT USE is a big deal.
As I mentioned earlier, I suspect there were tractors that had engines installed with Replacement/Universal Service Spec #s right from the factory.

What I was originally thinking I could determine was a section of engine serial numbers that were equipped with 'dual tubes'. Originally I was wondering the same thing as Josh O. was, "Are these dual tube engines scarce and if so, how scarce?" The data is indicating that they aren't THAT scarce and that they were produced for more than a year or two.

I agree, that the "two tube" engines WERE ORIGINALLY-equipped engines with balance gears, however, I certain that in the past few decades, many of these engines have had their balance gears removed...either by man or by themselves!

Agreed, the majority of the reported Cubs have been in the 1X6/7 series narrow frame tractors.
Thus far, the majority of the reported 'dual tube' engines have been in 147 Cubs, built in 1970 & 1971.

Ryan Wilke
ihrotate.gif

Ryan
I am familar with the Kohler engine chart that is posted in the FAQ's and am very familar with the tractor manufacture data
happy.gif
. However I do not believe any of the Cub Cadets left the Louisville plant with Replacement or Universal engines. The engines came direct from Kohler and had to be configured to meet the IH spec's for the model tractor it was to be used in, therefore it would have had the spec number that Kohler had assigned to those IH spec's, and not a spec number of a "multi fit" replacement engine.

ok guys are the starters the same from a kt17 and a magnum 18. thnaks lee

Hey, Matt: I got your check, thank you! I've been meaning to tell you we watched the video of your first starting of the 100 (about a 45 minute download!) All Jeanne had to say was "Hey, it didn't go POP when he shut it off"! Suppose I've got some tuning to do around here?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I'm not sure where this should go, it's not a puller, might be a "Hot Rod", it's not an implement, and it's not better than new, so I guess it's job is just to make noise and look something like an Original. The name came from the color combo and the bumble bee that kept buzzing around it during painting, thinking it was the biggest yellow flower it had ever seen.
168673.jpg

168674.jpg

168675.jpg

168676.jpg

Paul,

Could you tell us the specifics on Buzzzzz please? What engine is that and what all did you have to do to the tractor to make it work....

Scott,
It is a 4 cylinder Teledyne, Military Standard engine and it drives the stock Original clutch off the front of the crank rather than the flywheel end (in other words, the engine is in backwards). The tractor frame was lengthened about 8" using the front of another Original frame so the "cut out's" of the two frames lined up. The mufflers if you can call them that, are exhaust tips from a VW Beetle (called peashooters). You are not going to sneek up on someone while driving it.
whistling.gif

Latest posts

Back