• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 10, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean, wow very, very nice 124! The seat looks to be perfect, and the dash and steering wheel cap are not even faded! Sweet!
greenthumb.gif
That is in such clean original condition it'd be a shame to do any restoration to it, as in painting it. Mechanical fixes sure, but I wouldn't get a paint can or paint gun anywhere near that Cub Cadet.
icon_eek.gif
If that were mine I think all I would do is give it a good wash and then wax it.

Sean-

I'm with Kraig...DON'T paint it. A good cleaning, some rubbing compound, and wax will make it look great. There aren't many nice, original tractors left.

Sean,
They are only original once. If it were mine I would only clean it up, not repaint it.

Sean Mc - that certainly is a nice 124. I'm pretty much in agreement with the others about keeping the paint original, but, except, well, couple things - I'm thinking you may have already cleaned it up for the pics. I really don't see any old dried grass, or oily dust, etc. The areas I have concern with are the hood hinges (basically a bushing on the hood) with a bolt thru it. This usually breaks, cracks, or otherwise. I don't have a recommendation to "avoid" this failure but if they are still good it probably won't be long before they do fail. I've seen alot of them braised up, but then you know that means fresh paint and a new decal. The next area I have concern with is the dash support tower. I believe I can see some white-ish areas in the paint that I'm guessing is from battery leakage. It could be on the inside of the support tower as well AND under the battery itself since the battery box is really part of the tower. If as I fear this is battery acid corrosion I would recommend neutralizing it and then, well probably painting it. I seen several of these towers eaten thru. As far as 1 tire going flat, or loosing air, before going to replace them, I'd probably break the bead down clean the rim up some and re-seat the bead. No sense going to an unnecessary expense if the tires are still good - and they appear to be in the pics. Also, if it's a front tire, you could also add a tube rather than replacing. One thing that surprises me, and may be an indication of very limited use, is the exhaust pipe and the muffler. The muffler could have been replaced, and I suppose the pipe as well which is really uncommon. I'm thinking this tractor has had very limited use and was well taken care of. But it may still be best to do a restoration including paint since it's very likely the steering is loose, clutch needs going thru, wheel bearings greased, ball joints replaced, just the common minor failure items. Overall it looks great but if it has battery corrosion and weak hood hinges it won't stay looking nice long. I would also de-carbon the head and piston, and inspect the cylinder walls. The engine must have at least 500 hours on it and Kohler recommends it every 500. You also want to clean the underside of the mowing deck up and may want to coat it or paint it with slip-plate, which should be done annually. Overall I believe it's a really nice tractor. I really think it would be an easy restoration and once you've gone thru it, it will be easier to maintain it in nearly new like condition.

Welcome to the Forum.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (they often get resurrected from long term resting places)

Had a good cub morning with the 129
static timed and installed my hand machined head (thanks to matts write up on both)

installed some engin tin,carb,starter gen, and bolted to frame.

Well, I got her running tonight just before dark. The suspense was killing me, I had to just find out. Well A shot of PB Engine, and she fired right up. I got a new battery at HD, fresh fuel, took about 10 seconds to fire off. Not too shabby after sitting 15 years. So far so good.

I drove her around the house and the wife was really happy. She learned how to drive that little cub when she was a child. I think it brought back alot of memories for her. I ended up stripping the gas tank down cause all the paint was flaking badly. I shot it earlier today along with the battery holder bracket, and the gas tanks straps.
I think I'm going to just rub some compound on the exterior and add some wax. I think I would rather it stay as close to original as possible.

I let her idle for a few minutes, smoked just a tad when it started but cleared up within 3 or 4 minutes. Now I'm going to clean the mower deck and remount it and see what she has in her. I do need to lube the fittings and stuff.

I will keep y'all updated as I can
195319.jpg

@ Harry, No sir I had not cleaned anything at that point. What you see is how it looked as I rolled it out of the garage it's been in for the last 15 years. I have cleaned it a bit now, but not too much. It does have some oily dust/grease underneath the body and stuff. I'm going to get to that soon. Stay tuned...

Sean, I think you are wise to just give it a good cleaning, instead of an allover refinish. You can always do that later but you can never bring back the original finish after you paint it. If it was me, I would go to the local auto body supply house and get a small bottle of 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound, and a bottle of 3M Microfinish Compound. Hand rub with Super Duty until clean and then rub with Microfinish to remove swirl marks. Then wax. The grille casting may be time consuming as it is a rough surface, but you should be able to clean it up..

Latest posts

Back