• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 06, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pops,
I'd of been tempted to return reply, "Well, of course I mow the yard with it. Don't you mow with yours?" HaHaHa...
beer2.gif

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Wes/John/Wyatt/Charie,

Kinda' like looking at old "Family" photos. I sold MEIN KUB to Kevin Dunham (Gaud, I haven't heard that name for while) and Kevin sold it to him. Personally I still like the exhaust going through the hood. Glad to see he still kept <u>most</u> of the original decals on it. Oh well It's his baby now, I've got some new toys in my shed to show for my work.

Hey Evan, What diesel engines are you using in the 70ci tractors? Are they computer controlled at all or just mechanical.

What kind of horsepower/torque do you expect to make from one?

If it will make it easier, You could link to somewhere that gets more involved with it.

I have been wanting a hot rod diesel for years. Now might be the time to jump on the band wagon.

Thanks,

Nic

We use D1105 Kubota engines at 68.5 cubic in. One guy uses the Cat/Perkins labeled diesel but I do not like the design of that engine even though it runs good. Some guys are using Yanmar.

All mechanical, our local club allows a Garrett T2 turbo or equiv at 1.5" air inlet max. No water or anything else injection. I went to school with the guy that owns REI that builds the big JD Pro Stock diesels and my son worked for him for awhile. Expecting a good 120hp after all tweaking.

You went to school with Lemke?...guess that's ok hear they been buildin some good IH motors lately....

Hey guys,
Bryan is going to revamp this section a little and we need some cool pics of some of you with your pullers in action to be featured at the top of this page.
So if you would like to have your puller featured here, post some pics of them in action.
thumbsup_old.gif

Here's a picture of my "Red Rocker" Cub Cadet. It's a 126 with a modified opposed twin Briggs.
64686.jpg

Hello all
can some one guide me in the right direction
im looking for the replacement pads that rivet on to the clutch disk they look similer to a brake pad ive seen them before but i cant find them know thanks in advance

Thank you Charlie
i thought i looked at all the sponsers geuss i missed one thanks again

Hi all,
We had another pull on saterday in our club we pull dead weigh i pull in the 950# 1050# and 1150# class i took 2nd 1rst and 2nd i had the old 124 working pretty hard pulled 2250#in the 1150 class i pulled it 9 ft 5in the winner pulled it 9ft 7in so cloce yet so far

Fellas,

Why is there a difference in the need for higher octane fuels with air-cooled engines when liquid-cooled engines with the same compression don't require the same level of octane?

Point in hand: An air-cooled Kohler engine with 7 to 8:1 compression requires premium-grade (92/93 octane) fuel whereas liquid-cooled engines don't require premium-grade fuel until they're about 10:1 compression ratio......I'm confused.
confused.gif

Ryan W
dizzy.gif

RYAN - I have My flame-proof suit on so here goes....Air cooled engines run hotter, especially when pulling hard, and the flat head design has MANY points and places that create hot-spots that can cause pre-ignition that all lead to possible detonation which can break pistons, collapse piston ring lands, break piston rings, hammer out rod bearings, blow head gaskets, even cause valve damage in extreme cases. The problem is most severe in continous use engines, like mowing & plowing tractors. And especially tractors that get run hard on hot summer days. Hardest work I do with My Cubbies is blow snow in winter....but the 20-30 degree ambient air cools the engine so well even though it's pulling it's GUTS Out it won't detonate. In summer after mowing 3-4 hours it may detonate on 75-80 degree days even at less than half load.
Kentucky Ken posted a pic years ago of a Kohler head that detonated bad enough it blew a hole out of the combustion chamber between the intake & exh. valve. He welded it up and resurfaced the head and it was fine.

From tests I've run on My Kohlers the head temps can exceed 325-350 Deg. F on warm days with moderate loads. Since the combution chambers in water-cooled engines have circulating coolant just a small fraction of an inch away from the combustion event in the comb. chamber they rarely have temps over 250 deg.F.

Don V. has tested His pulling tractors on the dyno and commercially avail. regular grade 87 octane no-lead pump gas provides Him with the most HP on His pulling engines.

Denny, you mean this head?

65800.jpg

Before.

65801.jpg

Head after KENtucky repaired it.

Dennis F.,
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense & I think I follow you.
Your last comment regarding Don V getting the most HP out of his pulling engines (I assume fairly high compression) when he runs them on 87 octane (relatively low) fuel is that they're on the DYNO, not mowing for hours. If that's so, then his engines "live" through that experience only because they aren't run for more than a few minutes; not hours like you explained. Is that about right?
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

I've always run 87 octane in all my Kohlers. I've not had any preingnition problems related to fuel. the comon cause'sI see in lawn mowing is timing or lean fuel mix. when most peple adjust their carbs the set them to the kohler spec( which is just a starting point) or the turn them till the engine revs its freest. thats lean under a load. I turn them out till they sputter & turn them in till they just clean up. when its coldit may act a little rich but when its warm it will be right on. temp has allot to do with correct jetting

DON - I have access to O2 sensors & equip. to check air/fuel ratio....Can you recommend a specific range for working tractors? I'm assuming 12-13:1 A/F ratio.

RYAN - Another thing that helps Don in His pullers is that 87 Octane "burns" faster than higher octane gas....and He doesn't run 3000-3600 RPM like We do.

Don V.,
Ahhhh,,,,, I see what your saying. It makes sense to run them a tad on the rich side (but still run smooth) to keep the combustion temps somewhat down. Yeah, it may bring the "mileage" down a tad, but it will likely provide the engine with a longer life by not running so dang lean & hot.

Dennis F.,
You lost me on that......
I understand that the 87 Octane "burns" faster (hotter) than higher octane gas and that Don V probably doesn't run 3000-3600 RPM like we do. Rather Don likely runs his pullers at a higher 4000+RPM, but how do those affect detonation, lean burning and combustion temps?
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

The gas burning pullers I had were stockers. they had a steel flywheel with no cooling fins running at 3800 with 25 deg ign. timing & 9-1 comp.. a stockers runs are pretty long since they have no real wheel speed. approx. 4 - 4.5 mph in a 17t gear for 200ft.. so you can build allot of heat. if you need a pull off then it would get pretty hot but it never pinged or detod. now it had to run with 3 things against it on pump gas (no cooling, advanced ign. & cam timing) and it could still run without preign. on pump gas. so the way I look at it a lawn saw should be able to mow lawn with out preminum gas with no detonation.

Don V.,
10-4...... I follow your reasoning.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me!
thumbsup.gif

"...lawn saw...". That's a good one - I haven't heard that one before!
biggrin.gif

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Latest posts

Back