• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 04, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you all were busy wile I was camping and towing a duale and a 38"- foot camper out of a 5 ft deep ditch.more on it in the sand box.We will be home for a few days and need to find the specks to rebore to .030 on a 12K . I want to give the info to the machine shop.
old.gif

Been running these rear tires for 16 years on this tiller pulling 1000.
Got to get her up and going again for next season. So where do you guys suggest getting replacement parts as in clutch, small spring on drive shaft, maybe a throw out bearing to be safe.
Only thing I wish I had on her was creeper gear. But that's just not in the budget.

195060.jpg

Kevin, our sponsors above with the pretty business cards is the place to start. They donate the funds to keep the Forum on the air. C C Specialties has a wonderful on-line photo catalog,you can even call if you need help.
thumbsup.gif
Just put the pointer on the card and click !

Kevin S.-

Pilot bushing, driveshaft, teaser spring, main spring, throwout bearing, friction disc, spirol pins, rear coupler ball bushing (if equipped) and rag joints. True up the pressure plates on a lathe.

Gerry,

That was a great web site that you came up with explaining the magnets. After fiddling with mine, I see what I did wrong. I bonded all the magnets in but got two reversed. I could tell that from examining the polarity. Even though I didn’t get it right, I was still getting 10 volts from it. I also think it can be done successfully as long as you get the polarity right. I can’t get mine out, they are bonded in too well. I have another flywheel with one broken magnet. I think this would work also, super glue the magnet together then bond it in. I would love to play around with it if I had the time. Thanks for coming up with that. I think the forum should also have an FAQ on this.

Norm

Norm,
By glueing a broken magnet together, you will create another North South set of poles. I don't know how that will affect the voltage output. It may increase because of the extra pulse in one revolution or it could decrease by not allowing enough time to saturate the coils. ???? Probably won't be enough to make a difference though.

Norm:
Note Jim D.'s testing procedure...The PM alternator charging system is a whole lot simpler and is pretty reliable compared to the Delco S/g (IMHO), with the solid state regulators actually pretty tough. If you used red RTV, I'm surprised you can't work the magnet loose, but then maybe it's the shuttle tile glue??
clappy.gif

Don A., I was thinking about that N/S stuff too but, if one considers that the ends are N and middle S...when broken the ends are still N and middles S. It may actually work ! What 'cha think?
<font size="-2">Shuttle tile glue... Gerrys' in rare form today</font>
lol.gif

Thank you guy,s on the IH white paint suggestions. Some great idea's, AS ALWAYS!
Paul

I spent some time reassembling the 682 so I could see if I could get it to run before attaching the loader completely. The head was resurfaced and reinstalled (how-to coming soon!). Since the muffler box broke where the muffler attaches, I bent a brace for it in the hydraulic press.

195062.jpg

195063.jpg

I then added all new fuel line and a shutoff valve that I can reach with the side panel on, believe it or not. I then filled the engine with Rotella 15W40 and put some gas in the tank. The grommet where the shutoff valve attaches to the tank leaks slightly, but that seems to be subsiding. It must have swelled a bit after contacting the gas.

It runs!
happy.gif

195064.jpg

195065.jpg

The hydro is very smooth and it steers like new. I've got a misfire in the engine that I haven't figured out yet. I thought it was the timing, but that's dead on, so I leaned the mixture (plug was sooty after 25 minutes) and I'll try that. Otherwise, sticky valve or bad wire in the harness? Just need to retorque the head and it's ready to go. I also will have to use the side panels from my CCC 782 because they are designed to be used with the single cylinder engine, and the IH ones are not.

I can't get the shuttle glue anymore (ha, ha) but the RTV is holding strong. I sprayed Blaster (couldn't think of anything else, I don't have the exotic removers at home) on it & soaked it overnight. No go, solid. I did locate another flywheel with magnets intact that's being sent to me so that gets me out of the bind I'm in. I can't wait around, it's still mowing season & this is the only tractor I've got! I feel confident that it's not the stator or regulator or I wouldn't be getting the 10 volts. Right?

Matt Gonitzke

When the loader was installed on my 129 the guy who did all the welding for me said that the whole loader should be installed loose and placed on a level surface before anything should be tightened to spec.He said this would eliminate any binding of the parts and cause stress and wear because of an alignment problem. I don`t know if you plan to do this when you put your loader together to use but I have taken my loader off and it fit perfect before I took it apart and found after I painted the loader frame and reinstalled it a few bolts would not fit as easy as they did before.I did remember what he told me and put it together all bolts finger tight till I had everything installed and then everything fit perfect again. Just a thought !

Have you an idea on how to come up with a level gauge to tell you when the bucket is down it`s level ? I need to come up with something because I`am always looking off to the side and down to see if the bucket is level. A smart guy like you might have the answer I`am looking for. I hope.
1a_scratchhead.gif
old.gif

Question to Jim Diederichs on the magnets. Frank C and myself bought a 18 horse tractor that had the magnets go south and I thought I read that there was an air gap there in gluing them back together. can`t have any one or more magnets to close or it will cause an issue with the charging of the unit. Is this correct or am I`am out to lunch on this. A pulse could be created causing a issue ???
1a_scratchhead.gif

Paul A-

Try Rustoleum "Almond". It's real close as far as the color goes and sells for about $4 a can.

Don-

I didn't have any binding issues when I did a dry run with the whole thing attached, raising the bucket with a jack. I've been pretty careful with my tolerances so it should be close but I guess I'll see what happens. I will be coming up with a level gauge...I have it in my head, but I gotta get the loader itself working first.

Matt Gonitzke

Thanks for the reply and I do hope you keep me in mind when you spill the beans on your level gauge for the bucket. I have seen a gauge years ago but I never looked at it close enuf to see how it worked and now I have a need to know lol.
thumbsup_old.gif

Since this comes up rather frequently...

Head Gasket Replacement How-To (Part 1)

I'd say about 75% of the tractors I have bought had a blown head gasket. This is a very common problem among Kohler K-series and KT and Magnum engines because the aluminum head and iron cylinders have different thermal expansion rates. The K161 and K181 are particularly susceptible because they don't seem to have enough head bolts, in my opinion. A blown head gasket whistles and blows oil out of the compromised area of the gasket, and if this is left uncorrected, the head can eventually erode, meaning that the head must be welded on or replaced. The oily mess also coats the cooling fins on the cylinder and reduces their effectiveness. Replacing a blown head gasket is simple, but must be done correctly to avoid blowing it again.

Before starting, the usual 'disconnect the battery and remove the spark plug wire' applies, as it does to most repairs. Remove the plug now, as it's easier than after the head has been removed. Next, remove any sheetmetal covering the head and preventing its removal. QL tractors will have to have the muffler box loosened so that there is room to remove the head through the top.

195067.jpg

Remove the head and note the number and type of washers, length of the bolts, and locations of any studs. A picture taken prior to disassembly helps. Below is the head after removal.

195068.jpg

This particular engine didn't have too much carbon buildup, which I've found to be rather unusual. Most engines have so much carbon that I wonder how the engine was operating at all. The failed area of the head gasket is obvious; notice the oil around the exhaust valve area of the head. This is the most common head gasket failure area that I have seen. The spark plug looks pretty good:

195069.jpg

There really wasn't a whole lot of carbon buildup on the piston or valves (the light color of the exhaust valve is normal).

195070.jpg

Next, clean the top of the piston, valves, and combustion chamber. I typically use a wire brush, razor blade (take care not to scratch the piston) dental pick, and brake cleaner. If you use brake cleaner, be careful. It's great stuff because it dissolves nearly any type of dirt (including carbon buildup) but it has NASTY fumes and will also wash oil off the rings, so re-oil the piston after using it. This can be seen in the picture below:

195071.jpg

Also notice the eroded area of the piston near the valves. This is why air-cooled engines should be run slightly rich; I believe a too-lean mixture burnt the piston, which I'll have to replace at some point.

Clean the head just like the block. It isn't really necessary to get it surgical-instrument clean. I remove the big chunks and as much as I can, without taking everything off to bare metal. Oven cleaner and brake cleaner work good. The head can also be bead blasted, but do NOT sandblast it; sandblasting aluminum roughens the surface and creates a bunch of stress risers that can initiate cracks. If you'd like to measure how badly the head is warped, set it on a flat sheet of glass and try to stick a 0.003" feeler gauge under it. If it can be slid under anywhere, the head needs resurfacing, which will be demonstrated below. I used to measure them, but I found that if the head gasket is blown, the head is warped more than 0.003" and I no longer bother measuring.

195072.jpg

Part 2:

This is what I use to flatten my heads. It is simply a 1/4" thick sheet of tempered glass that used to be a shelf for something. Don't use an old, swirly-finish pane from an old house or barn; it won't work. Modern glass that is made by pouring molten glass on a bed of molten metal is needed. I attached it to a piece of particle board with a couple wooden clamps. I used similar wooden clamps to attach the sheet of sandpaper. Use 180 grit wet/dry sandpaper to start, and finish with 220. If only 220 is used, it'll take 4 or 5 sheets. Wet sand to make the sandpaper last longer. Use a circular motion, and occasionally rotate the head.

195087.jpg

After awhile, the head will start to look like this:

195081.jpg

Notice that some areas have been touched by the sandpaper, and others have not. This process must be continued until the entire gasket surface is of a uniform finish. (Aside: Others may recommend the use of a flat file instead, but this takes some practice, and I feel that my method is a bit more foolproof for those of us with less finesse handling a flat file) When the gasket surface looks like this, it should be essentially perfectly flat:

195082.jpg

Recheck the head with the sheet of glass and feeler gauge if you like-- I have never been able to slide a 0.001" feeler gauge under any of mine after completing this process.

Next, a short lesson on head gaskets. I typically buy aftermarket gasket sets because they are significantly cheaper than the OEM gasket sets, except for one problem: The included head gasket is often a POS. Below are two nearly identical head gaskets for K241-K321 engines. On the left is the aftermarket gasket, and on the right is the OEM Kohler gasket.

195083.jpg

They look very similar, but have a significant difference. Below is a close-up of the inside edge of the aftermarket gasket. Note the exposed three layers of material:

195084.jpg

Here is the Kohler gasket. Notice the 'fire ring' around the inside edge:

195085.jpg

The 'fire ring' gasket was recommended to me long ago, and now when I buy a gasket set I buy an OEM head gasket. I think these are a much better design. The K161 and K181 head gaskets do not appear to be available in this style anymore, so this only applies to the larger engines.

Some people replace head bolts when a head gasket is changed; others do not, and for various reasons. If I twist one off, I replace all of them; otherwise, I wire-wheel and re-use them. Some people also use Kohler head bolts; others (myself included) use ordinary grade 8 bolts. I have never had a problem with the grade 8 bolts, and this is what I find in half the engines I come across anyway.

It is a good idea to chase the threads in the block to allow the bolts to be torqued accurately. Oil the threads of the bolts, and then put them all in finger-tight. Tighten in the appropriate sequence in steps, i.e. 10, 20, and finally 30 ft.-lbs. The proper sequence and torque values are important, and a torque wrench is required. Below is the sequence for the K-series singles:

195086.jpg

After reassembling all of the sheetmetal, run the engine for 20-30 minutes at 1/2-3/4 throttle and then retorque. I have heard of others retorquing after the first hard pull with good results, as well. There are two schools of thought on head retorquing: One, to retorque when hot, and the second, to retorque when cold. Retorquing when hot doesn't make sense to me because the aluminum has a greater thermal expansion rate than the steel head bolts, so retorquing it hot will result in a looser head after it cools and shrinks than if it was torqued cold, so I always retorque cold. I've done at least a dozen heads and never re-blown a head gasket with this method.

Matt-
Nice write up on the head gasket, and the loader is really coming along nice too!
happy.gif

Could that misfire you mention be a problem with the ignition switch? Just a thought...

Also, what is different with the CCC side panels that allow them to be used with a single-cylinder Kohler engines where the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> panels won't work?

Paul X2-
I've ordered <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> 901 paint in spray-bombs from Madson's Service a few years ago. (click box above) I'm not sure if he's still selling it, but it's worth a phone call.

<font size="-2">On a side-note, that paint seemed a little too "green" (paint shade) to me, but that is strictly a personal opinion.</font>

Latest posts

Back