• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 26, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see that number in the copy of the Kohler Master Parts Manual I have. Measure the stroke (how far does the piston move down the bore from top dead center to bottom center)

Has anyone done Dave Kemp's driveshaft upgrade on a 782 before? I ask because I just ran into a road block. During instalation, I noticed that the hydro fan hits the the brake rod. I know the fan has to be on there, but could I get away with trimming it down an 1/8" to give me the clearance I need?

Paul - I have everything out of the block but just slipping together and measuring "roughly" I'm gonna say it 2 3/4. I'll slip it back together later on and get back with more exact info. Lookin more like an 8! If it is I probably won't use it in a 71 as I'm a little weird about getting em back to original - just me.

Put the cork gasket in my 1250 today. Don't know how you guys get the Spring back on. I took a piece of 12 guage wire, hooked it on the front of the Spring, on looped it around the rock shaft. Then I could pull the spring by hand an hold it in place with the wire so I could get another tug on the spring. Did that until I had it far enough so I could hook it on the clevis pin. Then I yanked the wire out from underneath the hook on the spring. Took about 2 minutes.

Thanks for the tips guy. Started farmin' today so project tractor is on hold for awhile. I'll be mostly AWOL for the next few weeks. Will be checking in on rain days and maybe evenings.

Terry, according to the spec plate it's a K161. This is a replacement engine that I bought as a rebuilt engine. I bought it from a forum member back around 2004. The engine that was in it does not have the bosses and it is also a K161. This is the spec plate from the engine that is presently in the Original.

257823.jpg

Kraig - I think the puzzle is coming together. I bought two Originals, both with k161s and one had bosses and the other did not. The one without had the obsolete piston bore and the one with the bosses has the larger bore - presumably a replacement 8 hp. I'm close to finishing rebuilding the older one w/o bosses so I think I'll just shelve the replacement in case something blows down the road. I was hoping to use it for a roller 71 but no biggie I guess. Thank you for checking and thanks to Paul Bell and Paul Funk for your feedback as well. On to the next puzzle!

Jon Stevens, I put that mod on a 682 and trimmed the fan like you want to. I never could tell that it made any difference in the hydro temp. I only used that one for regular lawn duty. It might have made a change in temp if I had plowed for a few hours with it. I sold it a while back, it has a new V twin in it and a large lawn to mow now. Still it doesn't show any tendency to overheat.

Terry,
Just going thru the pictures of my 71 and I do not have those mounting tabs. I think it's the original engine, but I'll have to check on that.
The tractor is out at my parents. I'll check next time I'm out there.
257835.jpg

Terry,
On further review I do not have the original engine in it any more. I blew it up a few years ago. Here is that engine on the bench. OUCH!
257839.jpg

But it still doesn't have the mounting nubs.
257840.jpg

I don't know when that other picture was taken. (I'm not as organized as Kraig)

This has been my latest indoor type project. I got a little shafted with this system but things are working out now.

Here's a before and after plus most of the system now.

257848.jpg

257849.jpg

257850.jpg

It isn't IH yellow but it's close enough for now especially compared to how it looked. The cylinder was frozen on the rear post and I had to destroy it to get it out. I made another that turned out even better. The pulley is a little banged up on the inside (shown) but is straight and should work just fine. The bracket and post I had to remake is in the upper right hand corner of the 3rd pic.

Made a short trip up to Beaver Dam. WI yesterday to a plow day the WFM site had going. Saw Steve made it up there and was showing the green guys how to do it.

257852.jpg

Good job, Wayne. Looks great. The "angle" bracket you have has the extra holes so that it can be used on an Original as well as the later model Cub Cadets. Any suggestions on improvements to my writeup? Glad it all worked out for you.

Dang Shultzie - you blew er up bad! Guessing that made a little racket! What on earth happened? Guess that's what the manuals mean when they talk about this or that causing "catastrophic" failure. Looks pretty catastrophic to me!

People who put 'spinner' knobs on their tractors. How did you build up the thickness of the steering wheel so it would clamp tight and not rotate around the wheel. Last summer I put one on and used duct tape and a piece of garden hose. Well the glue on the tape softened and the knob rocked around. Finally beat the rust on the mounting screw and its off and ready for reinstall, but how, so it stays put. Thnx A. PS I have a 147 NF

Wayne - hey, nice job on that pump set up. That's one that I've never tried to tackle.

Got a question for all on here. Maybe Paul Bell will pipe in with some historical details/facts as well. This is concerning the IH "Quiet Line" series and the Kohler K "AQS" engines. Maybe I'm late to the party (understanding) but as I recall some history that's been put together IH had the Quiet Line series in the planning stage for quite some time. I also know that Kohler went thru 3 different vesions of the now infamous balance gears, and at some point removed them from all their K series production. The IH Quiet Line used the Kohler K AQS (Q for Quiet) and was the first series tractor with a full enclosure engine. It also was the first series to have the rubber ISO-mounts. So, I'm wondering if IH knew that Kohler intended to remove the balance gears and the ISO-mounts were planned required part of the new design to avoid the vibrations/shaking, etc?If I recall some of the previous information correctly, I believe the early Kohler AQS engines still had the balance gears. I'd appreciate everyones thoughts/knowledge of what occurred here.

Terry,
I think previous owners did not take the time to change the oil when scheduled.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Broke a rod.

Thanks Harry-

Paul-

I'm still hoping for things to work out when I get it mounted and the heat gets to it. I ordered the reservoir gaskets you recommended and see that they are a tad tall but fit well. The other o-rings I bought fit fine as well. The valve body was a bit tight at first with its new o-ring but after I got it all together the spring did its job and the valve rocks just fine. I believe all it needs now is to be installed and used. I can't wait to see it on the CC100.

Harry,
It is my understanding the QL was developed to meet/comply with some proposed EPA noise reduction standards for the industry, that did not come about, at least not at that time.

Latest posts

Back