Archive through April 24, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick
I'm glad you feel reassured, but things still aren't adding up for me. If you installed the rod and rings correctly I can't see that mowing tall grass should have thrown it out-of-kilter. Some of the most successful builders I know brag about how much they abuse their engines in order to break them in. Their results are good, so I don't find much to argue about.

I think I would keep running it. I would change the oil ASAP and pay attention to viscosity relative to temperature recommendations.

Oh, I forgot, you've already switched it out.

Keep us posted, David and I are interested in your developments. Perhaps your experience will keep us from taking pot shots at the problem.
Shotgun.gif

Edit: An experienced engine builder in Kentucky once told me that he used "Bon Ami" cleanser (with pumice) through the carburetor to help seat the rings. It is not an insignificant challenge to get the engine running right the first time.

If you've run it enough, one thing to check when you get in there is how much, and how evenly, the cross-hatch has been worn off. One fellow I know had a Ford rebuilt by the factory because the way the block was cast, and the head bolts torqued, lead to a semi-permanent out-of-round cylinder.

Just a thought.

New plug, points, coil, and plug wire and the 126 still won't fire. any ideas of what to check next? I just need a starting point.. And time.. Darnit all, I just can't get a spare moment to breath around here- much less work on the cub.. MAYBE if I get lucky I'll be able to tomorrow night.. I can't work on it Saturday because of prom, and I can't work on it Sunday because i'll be going to visit my grandpa for his Birthday.. Although, my uncle told me i could have his 102 if I picked it up.. time to convince dad to let me drive seperatley to Michigan so I can pick it up after I visit grandpa.. (not gonna happen)

I got the links to the manuals Guys, Thanks!! Now I have some reading to do and I'd better get some ink for the printer.

Got the tiller back up on her feet and running behind the 1250. It WAS the pulley as you and I suspected. Took the old hub and pulley to a local shop and they cut off the wide pulley and replaced it w/one that matched the mule drives and she tills now like a champ and the taters are now in the ground!

It came with a new belt when I bought it and I'd bet the PO had the same problem. That and the fact that the clutch was shot would dampen anyones urge to garden. Probebly the reason a lot of this equipment gets cast aside.

Dave Schwandt

Charles,

ROAD TRIP!!!
buttrock.gif

Marty,
I'm jealous.. How come those Habans never surface near me?

Charles,
Make SURE you are not getting fire, and it's not a fuel problem. A low fuel tank can fool you real easy!(BTDT)
feint.gif

If you are sure you're not getting fire, check all the switches (including safety switches). A loose or bad connection (including ground) could also cause this.
thumbsup.gif

Charles, if you don't have a meter, get one. You can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight that will do the job. Make sure you have 12 volts at the + side of the coil. If you don't, start checking switches and connections. If you do have 12 volts at the coil, make sure the voltage drops to zero on the - (minus) side of the coil when the points close. If the voltage doesn't drop to zero, drag a sheet of paper through the points to clean them. Hope this helps.

Scott,

Now Scott.... you list one in your profile!
correct%20police.gif

Maybe it's because I live a little closer to Racine, WI.
Shift.gif
(This makes my second Haban)
Or, maybe I got to snooping around too much on C*@^g$list.
pcwhack.gif

That website will make you spend more money than you've got!

I see where Donald Tanner posted a WTB for an oil pan "that wasn't cracked" in the Classifieds. Maybe he'll tell us all about it when he cools off, I figure he's pretty hot right now.
feint.gif

Poor guy, has the worst luck with that machine: maybe it's jinxed . . .

My nephew Marty who restores tractors, trucks, motorcycles and other things painted my 129 for me. I am thinking about putting Spirit of 76 decals on it. It would look like the Ertl model. I haven't seen this done so maybe it will be a first.
board-post.pl

Latest posts

Back