• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 12, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff, Be careful if you need a crank they are not necessarily the same if they were not originally for a Cub Cadet. Especially the "free" end (PTO end) may not have the same dimensions,length,diameter,keyway,etc if not from a Cub Cadet. If it is different your PTO clutch won't work. Are you sure it is an internal knock? Have someone crank the engine and someone else listen to locate where the noise seems to be coming from (such as a drive shaft joint). If you are sure it is internal, wait until you look inside and see what else you need and verify that it is worth a rebuild.

Scott S., somewhere in my archives on my work PC I have photos and dimensions of a fix for that that someone posted long ago. I'll check first thing in the morning. IIRC, it's a bracket that is bolted in place of the broken part. Perhaps someone that does pulling might have the info as I believe they beef that up so it'll withstand the heavy duty clutch springs that they install.

Alex, There are no tension "specs" in the original instruction manuals that I have that talk about the assist. It is generally a "adjust to suit the user". My proceedure is to vary the adjustment based on which attachment you have mounted on the tractor. With the lift handle in the "float" mode the attachment should want to stay down on its own. With a mower deck you don't need much,with a snow thrower quite a bit more,with a tiller which is very heavy,quite a lot,especially if it has both extensions.

Scott S.
The fix for that is real easy if you have a drill press and a welder.
Remove the clutch arm bolts, and remove the hanger bracket from the clutch arm.
Find a short pice of .25" flat stock long enough to go from one side of the tractor to the other.
Mark out the bolt holes for the hanger bracket in the middle of the flat stock, drill holes proper size.
Bolt flat stock temporary in place, mark the length on each side of the tractor, next take a couple more real short pices of same size flat stock and make side brackets to weld onto the cross pice. Make sure to drill hole first, than temp install to mark proper length.

Kraig, pics are good! Lonnie, I gotcha!
thumbsup_old.gif

Lonny Buttke

I do remember someone posting that repair with angle iron and welding tabs at each end so it could be bolted to the side bolts. I think bolts were also added to the top to help keep and strengthen the bracket. Not a hard repair for the clutch bracket.good luck , Don T

Lucas,
I would say the left one, and IIRC, a little under 2 gallons... Check out the FAQ's for the service manual or go here
http://ccmanuals.info/pdf/

Matt
DOH!! Being a HYDRO guy, I have a variable speed mind, not just 3 gears... didn't even register... sorry
bash.gif

hold on guys why am i being incorporated into something i know nothin about? And what did I do?

LJones: Both are the same. They are both made by Viscosity Oil and have been since 1961. Check it out: http://www.viscosityoil.com/

Hy-Tran is what IH used and when MTD bought the Cub Cadet line from IH in 1981, they had to keep using the same hydraulic and transmission fluid used by IH in the IH and CCC made models. Hy-Tran is an IH trade mark now owned by Case/IH. Cub Cadet couldn't use it, so they just called it Hydraulic Transmission Fluid. Later model MTD/Cub Cadets use something called "Drive Fluid" and it is NOT the same stuff as Hy-Tran!! Do NOT use it in your IH made Cub Cadets!

You will also find that Hy-Tran from Case/IH is less expensive to buy than the Cub Cadet branded Hydraulic Transmision Fluid.

Myron B

Josh, no one posted for several hours, KENtucky asked who broke the forum. I blamed you because you were the last one to post before that several hour time period. Just joking around.
happy.gif

Scott S., I'm searching my archives for photos of the clutch pivot fix.

Scott S., funny, you'll never guess where I found it... In Charlie's CubFAQ.
bash.gif

CUBFAQ CLUTCH PIVOT FIX

Josh, it's a long running joke here, we tend to blame the last guy to post for breaking the forum if there's a long gap until the next post.

Oh, and I also found photos that Lonny posted of his fix.

188228.jpg

188229.jpg

OK WAT THE HECK? whos making me look like the one who keeps breakin' our system down huh? lemme att'em. hehe. anyways...I got the 14hp hohler in the 124 last nite.I would take asome pics but all of you know what an engine looks like...right? it runs great but i gotta put a teaser spring cuz shes a little jumpy. Just cant keep all that power under control ya know
rofl.gif

Charlie, Thanks for the picture. That solved the problem. Pictures are worth a thousand words. I'm sure once I have the bracket it in the right place that heavy *** tiller will be easier to lift. Where should I've looked for that picture?

Latest posts

Back