• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 12, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. I am new. I live in the DFW area of TX. I am working on a K301 engine that smokes badly. I am attaching pictures of problems I have found so far. What else might cause the blowing smoke?
35027.jpg
35028.jpg

The grass is starting to grow so I took off the QA-42 snow thrower. I'll have to use my new belt next year as this one has a chunk missing on the inside.

3 years use out of the belt is pretty good.
thumbsup_old.gif

Sharpened and balanced the blades for the 42" mower deck.

Question, I noticed that there is NOT Gator blades available for my deck. Can the blades for either the 44 or 50 inch decks be altered to fit?

wave.gif
Jeff

The great Gator blade saga!
Here's what I replied with to an email received last night.

I cut some down and put on my 100 with a 38" deck. but I did it with a plasma cutter CNC machine and had them spin balanced buy a company in Minneapolis. The guy worked for 2 hours straight on those suckers!
He said he was gonna do it come hell or high water. LOL
And I must say it works very well,
35032.jpg

But not as good as my 123 with the peco bagger on the back.
buttrock.gif

Gator blades......
I looked at the catalog at home from the link Bryan posted. My 48 inch deck takes two 489393's and one 489392. According to the Gator catalog that's two 91-324's and one 91-325. The 91-324 is 16 1/16 and the 91-325 is 17 5/8. If I take half of both of those blades and add them together I get 16.84375 center of one blade to center of another. If I get two 90-896's at 16 17/32, and one 90-956 at 17 3/16, that's 16.859375 center of one blade to center of another. The radius of the blades is less that 1/4 inch different for each blade. Both blades are the same thickness and width.

I might just give these blades a try. I am going to see if I can find these blades locally so I can test fit. Can anyone see a problem with this configuration?
35035.jpg

Crap, after looking at the post I noticed that the 90-956 has a glare that indicated this blade has a jog to it.
angry.gif

The saga continues.....

Mike M.
Since no one else is going to chime in!
Maybe a trip to the car wash and some Armour-All might do the trick.
Personally I've never seen any original wheel weights painted yellow but I know from reading here that some where. I think it's a personal like thing.

<font color="ff0000"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>Is there a serial number tag on the bolt on decks, like on a 102? I measured our deck and the over all width is 44", but I don't think it woudl be a 42" cut, I am guessing it is a 38" cut. Would I be right? Thank You!</font>}

I've been away from Cub Cadets for a while, but when did someone start making wide tri-rib tires? Where do I find these?
35037.jpg

Terry, I'm a big fan of the Gators, but I don't think they're worth all the trouble you're going through. You'd be better off retro-fitting a 44" or 50" deck to your tractor!!!

PLOW DAY 12

Oct 21st (28th rain date)

Roanoke, IL (20 miles east of Peoria on IL 116)

Terry,

Listen to Travis and retro a 44" under your 147, it's easy to do and you get some other goodies as well....

You can use the speed up pulley WITH the Gators (GREAT!!!)

Stiffer deck than a 42" or 48" stamped end.

Front gauge wheel kit (Great!!!!)

I have 2 44" decks and an old CI end 42".....44's are the "daily drivers" and they are sweethearts!

A 44" deck, interesting solution..... Now to find one.
Maybe I'll get lucky at the Pioneer Power Show Swap Meet. Last year they had 1000 vendors with 15,000 people. There is bound to be some stuff there. Anyone else going?

Thomas,
Sounds like you need a rebuild. Get the cylinder honed or bored if it needs it. Have the valve seats ground and put new valves in. Check the valve guides too. Put in a new piston and rings and you should be set. You can get everything you need in a kit from one of the sponsors of this site. Your machine shop can tell you what size piston you will need to order.

Terry,

Make sure you get the subframe too.

When shopping, watch for cracks around the rear hangers and the rear gauge wheel brackets (easy fixes, but good negotiating material).

Can somebody post a photo and length measurement for a model 149 3 point hitch lift bar?

Charlie-
That's OK, I'll bet if I totaled up what I've got in this tractor I'm over the $1000 mark anyways, at least I'm in the home stretch. I'm not about to milk building this thing for another 3 years!

Besides, they'll look better on the front than a set of chevron tires, with a wide front stance, widened fenders, and 10.50 rear tires, it'll look too much like a pulling tractor. Plus wide front tires make for just another little spot to add decent fluid weight.

Mike M

Use Wesley's White wall cleaner. It works very well on 102 seats. I have 2 and that is what iuse. Also, I used vinyl paint to restore one. Can get it from Corvette Restoration places.

Latest posts

Back