• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 07, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie: Where exactly would I drill a pilot hole (and why)? (1) In the center of the pin itself [in order to relieve stress and allow the pin to "compress" enough to pass through the hole in the axle], or (2) off-center and enlarged as Mike Frade related [in order to get penetrant between the pin and the axle all the way through]?

Just curious.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Jeremiah C.
An old machinist told me years ago, that if you drill a center hole in a stuck pin, it weakens the structural integrity of the pin, making it slightly smaller and weaker, for easier removal.

It always worked for me.

thanx for the reply jim. agreed on the mess here and am looking for another deck. hard to come by in wny tho and it will cost me if i can find one. have a connection that has 2 and when he can dig them out i will look at and get pics. i saw them(what i could see) the other day but didn't want to spend a couple hours moving stuff to get them out of the storage shed so he is going to call me this weekend for a full inspection.

Is there anywhere that has a discription or spotters guide for all the different types of decks? Thanks!

HMmm.. I guess I resemble that remark...

I think I could've removed that pin in the tractor alot easier than all the work you've gone through. Depending how I "landed" the first hole I would've worked at getting the hole out to the edge of the axle. Maybe 2 or 3 different drill bits.

This gives the metal room to move and lube to get in and help cut the friction.

Both methods work obviously. But I would've had the pin and axle out and on the floor in one step, no need to haul it over to some friend (or even pay) for press time.

Glad your making progress in any event.

I'm having trouble getting the wiring right on my 71's ignition, before I fiddle with it more I was wondering if anyone had a pic of a wired one/diagram. It isn't really shown in any of my manuals

Boy Mike F,
That's a pretty cocky statement considering you've only seen picture of someone else part on the Internet.

To say you could do such a better job than someone who worked so hard and clearly has access to good tools is down right arrogant.

It think the more appropriate response to anyone succeeding in a task at hand is "Great to see you got it out, can't wait to see it all back together."

(This is of course assuming its not your shop he popped it out in.)

Latest posts

Back