• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 06, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still new at gardening with cubs Currently I use my 2A tiller, My question is do i need a rear plow and if so when do i use it?

Well I done 'screwed' up today.
sad.gif

There were several items needing attention on my 129... missing bolts, etc, so I was tinkering with the cub today. One thing is the large rod that goes through the 3-pt lifting mechanism wasnt properly attached and had shimmied to one side. Why I decided to just remove it first I dont know. Anyhow I got out a big flathead screwdriver and started pounding the rod out. After a little ways somehow my screwdriver got jammed inside the lifting mechanism. Anyhow I have tried for about 2 hours to remove the screwdriver with no luck. Looking for any ideas you fellows might have...

187820.jpg

And here I tried using a pickle fork and vice grips to get some leverage and pry it out but no luck...
187821.jpg

I'm running out of ideas
help.gif

The other day I was pushing dirt with my 123 when just before I got done, there was a noise coming from the hydraulic lift pump. It was full of fluid, but it looks like the pulley is wobbly. I was going to sell it here a couple of months ago, I'm glad I didn't. I wouldn't want that to happen to someone else.

Now I wonder if there is a bushing or bearing inside the pump that the shaft turns on for the pulley. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tristian have you you tried whacking the shaft back in with a BFH to drive the screwdriver backwards??

Tristen;
A brass drift and a small sledge hammer should drive everything out,hitting from the opposite side.Use plenty of PB Blaster and take your time.
Good luck!
Bobby B.

Jeff - yes I did but it stopped moving... I figured doing that might make the situation worse by further pinching the screwdriver end inside. But I guess that depends on what the inside of that thing is. Can someone tell me are they solid, with just an opening the size of the rod all the way through or are they hollowed out and my screwdriver has slipped by the rod and wedged between the rod and the interior wall of the thing???

Tristian they are solid do what bobby just said but when you hit make it count in another words hit it hard. You may scar the inside of it but you can fix that, just becareful when it comes out not to hurt the frame bushing. The pin can be real stuborn.

Tristan S.
You need to remove the lift bar off first!

The rod that holds the casting is solid. More than likely you jammed the screw driver between the rod and the casting.
Get a BFH and drive it back out from the other side using something slightly smaller than the original hole. Don't be afraid to HIT it HARD!
If you hit the screw driver, your only going to make things worse.

Tristian when you drive it back thru if the punch you use to drive it back, slips off you may want to find a socket with an exstenion you can afford to brake and slip it over and then WHACK with the HEAVY HAMMER

Tristan S.,
Just checked mine, and it is NOT a solid hole. It is solid for about 2 1/2 inches in each end, but opens up some in the middle. That is probably where your screwdriver head is lodged. If you could try driving the pin back in a little, this may mash the screwdriver head enough to be able to work it out. Be sure to use brass rods/punches so nothing will get mushroomed. PB blaster would help too. If you are frustrated, a good nights sleep will help also. (reduces the tendency to tear up more stuff!
lol.gif
) Be patient and don't give up!
thumbsup.gif

I just thought of something.
Grab that screw driver with your vice grips and twist, that will break it off at the tip. That will give you room to put something bigger in the hole to drive it the rest of the way through.

Charlie:
Not to argue with da boss, but if he's wedged the blade between the rod end and casting, driving from the other end is gonna wedge it worse.....but looking at the pictures, now I'm wondering if he split the end of the rod open (blade lined up with the cross drilled hole). I am amazed that the handle is still intact and hasn't either split or pulled off.....I would be more inclined to see what happens trying to pull the rod out further rather than drive it back in..

ALL RIGHT - EVERYONE ELSE!!!! Quit yer snickerin over what Tristan has managed to do, cause you ALL know you've done worse!!!

Tristan - this WILL seem funny and be added to your collection of Cub stories eventually...meantime, I've gotta go look at that second picture again 'cause I think I've got a similar one, but with Vicegrip brand pliers, and the pickle fork isn't shiny....
clappy.gif
and we'll be with ya brother, right till the end!!
groupwave.gif

Under edit.. Charlie - I like your second suggestion....

On further thought, if a torch was available, I'd remove the handle from the screwdriver, heat the shank and bend the end of the shaft into a hook so there's something to really hold onto to, clamp those pliers at that end then set up the pickle fork prybar..
1a_scratchhead.gif

Tristan, I feel your pain, but you've got a whole team of pro's pullin' for ya!

Jeff Baker - You don't need a plow; I consider it to be more of a convenience or luxury than necessity. Lots of folks just use the tiller. However, I like to plow my garden in the fall, then till it in the spring. That seems to allow any fall rain to really soak into the furrow gaps/valleys, etc. It also seems to dry faster in the spring, with more surface area for air contact. Either way, be sure not to till when the ground is too wet or you'll end up with lots of rock hard clumps. Good luck with the garden!

could I use the 108 tractor driveshaft/ clutch assembly in place of the drive shaft on a Hydro?
The reason I would do this is to take all the load off motor when trying to start motor

I'm not sure if this can be asked here or not, but I need to know if any board member on here that is in North Carolina can rebuild a k301 engine? Please contact me through my email, [email protected]

Tristan: Very interesting! Out of all the suggestions I'd choose (A) Unhook the lift bar and (B) Try to pull the pin out with the system you're using on the screwdriver - a very creative system by the way! Good luck!
thumbsup_old.gif

Latest posts

Back