• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 01, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it must be 169 season...isn't there some sort of registry for Cub Cadet 169s?

Wyatt - you got one too!!!!! Dang, it IS 169 season.
animatedihbear.gif

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (169's Forever)

Well I wish the 169 season would spread over here to my area in Northern ILL

I am heading out to prep my grass cutter and rototiller cubs

Wyatt, that's cheating, you already owned that 169!

Kraig-
Ya caught me. I owned, but was in storage almost 400 miles away in storage for over 6 years.

I put in a new battery, threw the carburetor through my Hornady ultrasonic cleaner, filed the points, put new gas in, and it ran just like new.

GGGRRRRRRRRRRR this 125 12 K is starting to piss me off . I came out this morning and see oil AGAIN on my floor. I just replace the pan gasket last week and added new oil again
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
, and still a leak. I did check for cracks in the pan and did not see any.

237282.jpg

jawdrop.gif
screwloose.gif
a_weep.gif

LOL I`am depressed with all these guys finding the 169`s , but I have to ask if my leak could be the cam cover gasket
bash.gif
. The 12 K is showing full on my dip stick , but the dip stick Head is broken loose and floats .Does the oil level raise high enuf to leak from the cam cover gasket ???

Don --If the cap on the dipstick rides up, could be you're over-filling it? No, wait, if the dipstick runs down further than normal, the danger would be UNDER-filling it.

Lucas makes a good suggestion, I would also try filling the crank case to its specified capacity, and see what the dipstick tells you, it should be reading full or close to it. Whatever it reads, take that as your "full" mark and leave it on the BENCH overnight to see if it leaks.

Another way to track down the leak is the dye they put in transmissions that shows up under black light.

I would hate to think that there is something wrong with the pan or the block.

Either you've over-looked something, or you're having worse luck than anyone I know.
smile.gif

would the kt17 series II engine from a 1720 be a direct swap into a 782?

Don Tanner, I had a Kohlor that was giving me fits on a leak once, mine turned out that my breather plate was the culprit, I was having trouble getting it to seat right, make sure that gasket is good also just my .02 worth
bash.gif

Lucas Jones

The leak seems to be running down from the left frame rail and dipping on my floor. If a normal filled Cub would bringyhe oil level up to the bottom of the Cam cover it could be my issue. Dang this just anoys me because a guy called this am with $2500.00 in his pocket for a lawn tractor. I think I should soon sell some ,But I won`t till I know it`s worth it for him to have a 125 Cub Cadet.My wife thinks I have an issue selling,yep I won`t sell what I know is broke .

Don I would be
bash.gif

I tore into the 14hp from my "new" beater 149

first up PO mod's

237295.jpg

237296.jpg

now a few to review my engine condition and please comment on what you think

237297.jpg

237298.jpg

237299.jpg

237300.jpg

And finally I am hoping this is a good thing

237301.jpg

Any and all comments welcome

Don T - I don't recall if you have actually had this engine running again. If you have, did you re-torque the head bolts??? I forgot that one time and had a very small oil leak, replaced the pan gasket like you, replaced the breather gaskets although I couldn't see any oil there, replaced the O-ring on the dipstick, and eventually discovered the leak coming down the side of the head. Now, I only had a "mark your spot" drip, not a trail like you have. I also don't think the front or rear crank seals will leak unless the engine is running since the oil level is below the crank. I suppose it could be the cam cover you mentioned but I think you could see the oil leak there.

Jeff B - I believe the double springs on the PTO clutch is correct for your PTO. Not sure I really see any other possible mods to it. The button seems to be a little far forward but I believe it does work that way. As long as you're tearing things apart I'd go ahead and disassemble to make sure button is in the correct position. Next, I like that C-clip update to twisted wire. you know that once you drop that C-clip it's generally lost for good, and what the heck that wire is probably ok. Next, talk about carbon on the head and piston!!! Hope you got to it in time. You obviously need a new plug, and I would recommend the head gasket as well. And with the .010 over piston it must have been rebuilt already, so if you get her all cleaned up and make sure the timing is correct she might run really good. (see 169 posted in the Classifieds?)

Jeremiah C - see what I mean about carbon in Jeff's pics. Your 149 could easily look like that and that carbon can be very hard and get along side cylinder wall and score it among other things.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but keep the carbon cleaned out, and the timing correct)

Jeff-That engine dosent look all that bad IMO. Exhaust valve looks good, it has a good color. intake has a little carbon/oil grime on it, but nothing too out of the ordinary. If its been bored to .010 it might still be a decent engine. I would clean, replace headgasket and see how it runs.

jeff l baker

With the engine hot i would have sprayed some water in the carb,You would not see as much carbon. I bet that will clean up and work nice, If I bought a Cub and seen that doing a service I would be a happy boy, (G). Rub the head on a glass covered with sandpaper and water and have a great engine.some guys got all the luck.

Harry Bursell

On a 125 NF as you might remember how close to the frame the points cover bottom screw is located,I know the cam cover cover is about 2" lower. Dang I think I will have to pull this 12 K again!!!!
bash.gif

Sorry Don T - but I think you're correct about having to pull the engine again. Try to keep it as level as possible when you do pull it out, and have a good hard look at it. If it is the cam cover I'm very confident you should see the oil there, and not above the cam cover level. You didn't mention if you had the engine running again. If not then if can't be the breather/valve cover, and it can't be the crank seals, and it can't be the head gasket. I think this only leaves you with the cam cover, the oil pan, oil pan drain plug, or the block itself.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but north of the border it can be hard to get'm going again)

982 electric issues.
when i run the mower deck and or lighting, i loose power. my plan is to start replacing parts since i do not know much on electrical troubleshooting. i plan to start with switch then regulator and last the stator. the battery is only a few months old.
the voltage reg shows draw but i think that would be normal since it has the electric clutch.
any thoughts ?
thanks

237304.jpg

Back