• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Air Compressors

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kendell - Contactor and starter work the same don't they ? The 3hp one on the old compressor stays pulled in like a relay and so will the 5hp one I have to put on the new motor.

New pump should be here monday. Of course the weather is turning colder when I'd like to get the old tank outside to repaint it. I'm adding a pilot valve to it for continuous run feature for blasting.

Keeping an eye on this weather ... looking like it might get wild later.

Kraig:
OK, how's this?? (Best time last year, 8:55/162mph)
82364.jpg

Disclaimer - I'm the crew/tech guy/wrench, not the owner..

KentucK:
I've got to go look at the wiring on a magnetic starter, but the HP rating is significant..Looks like the upper Mississippi Calley is getting a hurricane.. Radar view

I'll give ya a couple more...It's a '98 Spitzer solid rear, Coan 'Glide, 560 inch Rat, originally mostly run 1/8th mile bracket stuff (the timer box can't be in the car for NHRA heads up Super Comp)...
82368.jpg

82369.jpg

The owner/driver (Don) is 67 this year - went to Frank Hawley's school in Gainesville about three years ago, finally got his license for both IHRA and NHRA last season, after getting the car. I volunteered to be crew.... so, for instance, while he's in LA this week, I get to haul the car to an NHRA strip this weekend and (hopefully) get the frame re-certified..

OK, got the brain warmed up....a contactor is essentially a pull-in relay(with heavy contacts for the current required for the motor) so that if your power drops, the motor stays shut off. A starter is that, with built-in overload protection, either through a bimetallic heater, or a fusible link, also in the starting circuit. The heater is the reason for the HP rating (bigger motor draws more current and so the strip, that carries a relational part of the load will have to be rated to carry higher current without overheating during normal use). If we've got any electricians in the house, now is the time to step in....

I remembered that I had a 1969 printing of Motor Application and Maintenance book out in the shack so I went and got it. (moved laptop into house due to storms/tornado close by) and it list contactors but they aren't on the listed pages and it gives complicated descriptions of different starters. I think I need a 1P magnetic starter. I'm pretty sure though that the one I have will do it , it is rated 5hp 30amp @ 240v.

Go to McMaster-Carr's website and search on 7603KAC
it'll give you a pdf chart of estimated current draw vs HP... you'll only have a 2-3 amp headroom with a true 5 horse 220 single phase motor (will draw around 27 amps)....

KENtucky, this is out of a book I have from a company called Consolidated Electric.

82386.jpg

gettin there
82696.jpg

wish I had a compressor to paint with my Binks !!!
more write up when I'm able ...

Kendell - WP on that tank is 200psi.

Paint the compressor and motor white??
KentucK - Working pressure - that's lower than test pressure, right ??

That's Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow , my 2nd favorite shade of yeller. That's the color I'm gonna paint the Toy with the pipe work black.

I hobbled out to the shop and got the motor and pump on the compressor. I'm soooooo close to plumbing the air up but no go
sad.gif
I'll have to try to get some copper to black pipe fittings and run a short tube.

I milled the motor slide slots wednesday and they work good. I'm going to run flexible conduit on the electric to keep it neat and tiddy
happy.gif

10" x 30" new channel = 3 cold Coors
82741.jpg

Original price of 80 gallon 3hp 2 stage = traded 20 gallon 2hp 2 cylinder for it 25 yrs ago.
82742.jpg

82743.jpg

20cfm @90psi = $279 + $130freight
82744.jpg

5hp 1740rpm $432
82745.jpg

$78 pulley !
82746.jpg

It's not cheap to even rebuild an old air squeezer !

Kendell - Yep WP is lower than test pressure. Oh and that was Max WP 200 @ Max temp 400*F.

Ken I,
Pretty wicked looking little ride.

kentuck,
What are you using for a flex line between the compressor and the hard piping in your shop?

getting closer and looking good

Dudley

KentucK:
I had a local business make up a 3 foot 3/4" hydraulic hose for vibration isolation - wasn't all that expensive..

Dudley - I bought a 1/2" flexible stainless braid 3 foot long.

I've not got to work on it much because I pinched a nerve in my back thursday while at the pain clinic stepping over a concrete barrier about 8" high. I almost went face down but I did some fast painful steps to get my balance.

I did get it finished up today though and it walks right out the door with me hanging on !! I tried just one belt on it and it still did it. I think the belts are the problem as they bounce up and down bad !! The motor and pulley run smooth without belts. The pump pulley could be out of balance though ... Going to buy another belt or 2 tomorrow if I get out of court in time.

Now wonder your back hurts. hangin onto that hunk of iron.
wink.gif

Do you think it will quit walking around after it gets filled up the first time??
rofl.gif

I used sections of tires treads for vibration isolation under the feet on mine. I have the old classic "5hp" 220 60 gal compressor.

I've got vibration pads but I'm a feared it'll tip over , like I use to do when I wuz an alky
beer2.gif

It's not just my back , it's my shoulders too as they're both dislocated. It hurts like the dickins to shift gears or to even raise a cup of coffee.

I stopped by Advance Auto to see if they had any 65" B belts , said they'd have to order them and they were $21.45 each !! I paid $26 for the pair of 66" I got friday at an industrial place that is high on prices. I told them so too with a few cuss words added in for good measure then hobbled out the door.

When I'm hurtin' I'm a real arsehole. Also when I'm hurtin' to bad to get out of bed then drive 45 minutes in heavy fog then have to park 2 blocks away then climb steps to the court house ONLY to find out that the pervert I had arrested pleaded guilty 2 months ago and there is no trial (they couldn't call or write me BUT that could send me 3 subpoenas to be there, one delivered in person by sheriff) ... well let's just say today is NOT a good day to screw with me. As a matter of fact I'm getting ready to call the State Attorney's office to let them know how I feel about it.

... send file in German Chocolate cake ...

Well of course the SA wasn't in today , but they'll have him call me ... I'm holding my breath ...
explotar2jr.gif

Back