• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

A sad day for Shelby

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
This is just a thought I had for a little friend who's losing her best friend today. Her friends name is Blue, a black, 14 1/2 year old Labrador Retriever. Blue is one of my "puppies" from when I raised a couple of litters back in the late 90s. She was purchased by a newly wed couple and has lived most of her life here in Chapel Hill, NC. They have had three daughters since they acquired Blue, Shelby and the twins which are still too young to know what all is going on. Shelby is 9 years old and her heart has been breaking for a while now. She is too young to understand some of the terrible things we adults put children through. Blue has been her life day and night for as long as she can remember and now it's time for all of us to say good-bye. I have prepared the grave site and she will be buried beside her father. I have always built "resting boxes" for my pets because I have never been able to shovel dirt on their bodies. Blue has a nice box waiting for when they bring her body here later today.

If yall could just give Shelby a nice thought it may help her bear the burden. I'm glad Blue will no longer be in pain as she has with arthritis and simply old age but it pulls on my heart strings to see her go. Shelbys pain just adds to the frustration and sadness. I have puppysat Blue the whole time when they went out of town so I'm still close to her myself.

I guess I'm writing this for myself as well as for Shelby but it's not my first time. I have gone through it with Medic (father), Mocha (mother), and Matthew (brother). My pet cemetery is placed on a south facing hillside looking over the pond they loved to swim in...and they did love to swim. We have talked about Blue being put with her family for a while and now it's coming. She will rest about 175 yards from the spot she was born which was in my house.

Blue was a wonderful, dedicated friend for anyone she met.

Thanks to all for just reading and thinking about Shelby.

Wayne, Losing a member of the family is very hard. When we had to put down our dog a couple of years ago we cried for weeks. They take good care of us and just ask for love in return.

Wayne, as Melody went thru, my wife and (adult) kids and I were in tears also after our Meister broke a hip and had to be put to sleep. Its really tough to explain 'being gone' to kids. Our hearts go out to you in this difficult time.

Melody and Allen-

Thanks for the kind words. Shelby was a real trooper. She had a goodbye speech written up and it was read graveside. Everyone got to say goodbye and give a few gifts to Blue before we sealed the box. It was a first for everyone there but me. Keith, Shelbys father had his hands full with four weeping women but everything went smoothly.

I feel certain that Shelby now realizes Blue is resting painlessly beside her father, Medic.

Wayne S. You can tell Shelby and her family that even though Blue has crossed over she is still by their sides and will so be for a while. Even our firkids have spirits and await the day that when it is our turn to cross to the other side they will be along with others their to greet us.

Plese click on this and send it to Shelby and her family. The Animal Rainbow Bridge

Wayne, Tell her it aint very often we get to give a gift like that back to the almighty. Maby theres a little girl in heaven that needed a good dog.

Wayne, my heart goes out to you and Shelby. I can't imagine Shelbys heartache,for as a child I didnt lose my best forever friend, but as an adult I have. I sat with comfort, knowing where Blue will be buried, with her parents, and your loving jesture of making resting boxes for the beloved furkids is not the norm, but neither is " Wayne"...Waynes world is very unique and I'm proud and humbled to be your friend. I send our prayers and good thoughts...for Shelby and you...

as Blue rests now with her relation.. may all who held her in their hearts, find grace for the heartprints left on their hearts..

"Angel"

Thanks Marlin, Angel, and all for the kind words. I called and talked with Tanya and Shelby is doing fine. They're all going through the "routine change" period which is part of any pet loss. I imagine after a short period there will be another fat bellied puppy chewing where it shouldn't.

Marlin- That is a pretty smart office helper. I remember when I was training Medic it didn't take much at all. I walked with him opposite my gun arm and he was healing (sp) in twenty minutes without leash assistance. After I stopped a couple of times and said "sit" he did it automatically every time afterwards. I couldn't believe how easy he was to train. He was retrieveing birds at 6 months of age and did so for the next 14 years. When he saw camo clothing he would head for my truck.

If my health/back could stand it I would get another lab in a heartbeat. They are the perfect family dog (unless you don't like to be licked).

Wayne,
I was about Shelby's age when I lost my first pet. I don't remember much other than my Mom taking him to the vet and he didn't come home with her. At 19 our family lost our other Irish Setter and that tore my heart out. My Dad still, 25 years later, has his ashes and can not part with them. As an adult I have had to bury 3 pets and it is never easy. My heart goes out to you, Shelby and all of Blue's family.

Thanks Chris-

I think Shelby is doing fine. I don't think it will be long before there is a fat bellied little puppy running around her feet once again. When I was about five our family dog went under the house and expired. Being the smallest I was volunteered to go get her out. I don't remember much other than that.

It sounds like we all have a lot in common when it comes to our pets.

Back