• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

A Different Kind of Problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschumacher

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Allen Schumacher
Yes, I figure some of you may say what a candy A$$ problem this is, but
If you look at my gutters you may understand why my street is called Maple ave...the OL said stay off the roof so I'm gonna get someone to clean them out.
192067.jpg

The real situation is last fall my oak tree dropped accorns by the pound. I thought I got most of them, but I guess not.
I have a regular tree farm in my yard. They have been cut at least 3 times, but pop back up.
Does anyone think I can cut them to death, or maybe a winter freeze will get them. I hate the idea that I have to get out a stool and pliers and pull them all up! (picture on next post)

Allen, I would cut more often than normal and keep the grass cut short. This might be hard on the grass if you get drought conditions so you may have to water it. The oaks if kept cut back will not be able to maintain their energy level and they will eventually weaken and expire. Or you could dig them up and sell them...

Kraig...roto-till it. An idea, but the local cat colony would be yelling 'look at the new field latrine'!
Frequent close cutting, good. I had hoped that might solve the problem.
Ken, next time National Arbor Day Assn. asks for a donation I will send them a box of oak seedling in lieu of cash. <font size="-2">Great idea Ken!!</font>

Allen - Here's ya a new one !

Cut them down and send them to a toothpick factory
clappy.gif

Did anybody realize that oak seedlings have little nuts on the bottom ??
192090.jpg

Ken, I think if I wait another 2-3 weeks I could have sish-ka-bob skewers!!
rofl.gif

I think it's more like those little nuts (acorns) have oak seedlings growing out of them.
smile.gif

Do they pull up easily? Sure look like they'd take to transplanting. Are they red oak?

Frank, not sure what type of oak they are. Will check more on Friday. Some pull up easily, others stay stuck in the ground.
Were you looking for some Red Oak seedlings to plant??

They look more like white oak to me. Red oak leaves are deeply cut and are more pointed. White oak leaves are more rounded. White oak acorns germinate soon after dropping, red oak acorns, I believe, germinate after a dormancy period, as in over winter. I'd love to have easy access to white oak and/or red oak acorns for planting at the farm. I do have some oak seedlings of both varieties show up on my home property, SQUIRREL, I need to transplant a bunch of them to the farm. I just relocated one small white oak seedling last night that looked just like those you are holding. You should check if you have any gardening groups in your area that might be interested in collecting them for a fund raising plant sale. FWIW, deer prefer to eat the white oak acorns, as they are supposedly better tasting than the red oak acorns, which I've read are somewhat bitter.

Kraig, from what I can find, these seem to be a Pin Oak, which I think is the white oak family.
Want some? Let me know,I can dig up a bunch and package so they reach you ok(?). A dozen, 2 dozen. The mower didnt hit them yet so there a number of them 6-8" high.

Allen, thank you but no need to send any. Could very well be pin oaks.

I'll take you up on your offer to Kraig. (Did you see this coming?). There's got to be a way for you to Capitalize on this situation so's how's about 10cents/seedling, USPS Flat Rate Box, and send 'em up here? Another thought is call the outfit that filmed "what happens when man leaves the planet"
smile.gif

Kraig;
You're correct about the white oaks having a "rounder" leaf edge;but them ain't whiteoaks.
However,if any of y'all would like some white oak seedlings or acorns,just let this redneck know.I have about 50 white oak trees on my little piece of property,and will gladly ship out seedlings/acorns to anyone who would like some this fall.
White oaks take several years to produce acorns,and whitetails love 'em! I have harvested several deer over the years in this portion of my property during bow season.

192152.jpg

Allen - We all start as nuts ... and some of us never change ...
dizzy.gif

<font size="-2">(then some of us get way to many concussions)</font>

Now if ALL the members would take 10 seedlings then you'd be rid of them ... for a year
shhh.gif

My son honchos a commercial landscaping company. Maybe I'll call him up and see if he has access to a sod slicer. Just put a section in a pizza box and away we go!
Did you know there is/was a singing group called Hall and Oats? I always thought they were called Haulin' Oaks...DUH!
Please nobody tell my kids how dumb dad is..<font size="-2">(there's too much suspicion already...!)</font>

Frank, do you really need any oak trees???
I thought donating them in lieu of $$$ to National Arbor Day was the best idea.
<font size="-2">They might be easier to ship if I turn them into mulch.</font>
yummy.gif

Latest posts

Back