• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 Need Help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtmcdonald

displayname
Michael T. McDonald
Need help guys. 782 with a Kohler 17hp series 2 engine. Owned 3 years. Ran perfect. Today. Tried to start. Fluid was running out of the muffler. Looked like oil, but??? I cranked over many times. it finally started and bellowed white smoke. I couldn't even see out of my garage. It would run with throttle wide open then start idling down then would idle back up, all the while blowing this white smoke. Fluid was still pouring from the muffler running down over the frame. Still looked like oil, but was very thin oil. I feel like it is gas that has leaked by the carb and into the cylinders and muffler. Where is the fuel pump located and could that be my problem? I've never seen this before. Thanks for any input. I need help. Ran great till this happened.

Thank you for your input. I have ordered from them before. I added the new coil system to the cub. Now I will add the electric fuel pump, new oil and filter. Thanks again Dtanner.

Nothing to do with the fuel pump. If it still runs, its not the pump. My 782 used to do that once every few months. The carb needle wouldn't seat well and when I left the tank valve on with a full tank, the fuel over the carb would push through, flood the engine and leak past the rings and fill the crankcase.

Then when started the oil level is twice what it should be, and thinned by 1/2 gal of gas so it run right past the worn rings on startup. (Probably cause the bottom of the pistons were swimming in oil/gas)

Drained the oil, put in new and start it up.

So my recommendation is to pull the dip stick and smell it. I bet it wreak of gas. Drain the oil/gas mixture and replace the filter. You'll be good after it clears what you pumped into the muffler.

Be sure to shut the gas off everytime it's not running until you can replace the needle and seat.

Side note: it was practically gauranteed to flood unless I parked it on empty. That's when I figured it out.

Michael, check the float in the carb. Before you buy a fuel pump. Had a 2072, changed the fuel pump, filled with fuel and it wouldn't start. Found out the fuel was pouring into the carb. Plastic float had a hole in it and it was full of fuel. Just a thought.

If it turns out to be the carb and it has a Walbro with the plastic float, I'd get an adjustable carb from a Series I KT17 or a #26 carb from a K-series and rebuild that, instead of the current one. Kohler is pretty proud of the carb kit and float kit for the Walbro carbs (~$50 and ~$30, respectively, if I remember right) and those plastic floats won't last too long in today's gas.

Yup The Seat isn't seating properly. I have experienced this on many small engines. The Ethanol gas is a killer. The easiest thing to do is to buy an inline shutoff that is easier to reach then the one on the gas tank. Just shut it off when you stop the machine and you wont get flooding. This gas issue was the final straw for the previous owner of my 782. That's why he gave it to me.
As Mentioned .... check your oil. it's probably way fullwith gas.

Chris,

Of course it had to happen the Friday night of Plow Day!!!! How many carbs have we rebuilt before PD now???....at least 2 that I can remember!!!! That 2072 was sure a "quickie" job.....whole process including oil change couldn't have taken 20 min.!!!!

Latest posts

Back