• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

682 engine swap

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmucker

displayname
marcus smucker
I did a search but came up dry so I am looking for help putting a kohler M18S motor into a 1985 682 that previously had the kohler KT17.

The M18S looks ready to drop in place, however I had heard from a shop that there is a voltage difference between the two and was ready to sell a diode kit that changed the voltage to the correct one. Has anyone run into a voltage problem doing this swap? If so do you know what the swap needs?

The M18S motor that I have is also missing its starter and the old one from the KT17 looks like it might work, but I don't want to swap it before I am sure it wont screw something else up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.}

They use the same starter. Your shop is correct there is an electrical/voltage different. Look down in some of the earlier topics in this part of the forum and you'll see info on it from Steve Blunier. You have a few different options such as changing the ignition switch, putting in a relay etc... Your shop sounds like they know what to do.

does your 682 have internal or external brakes. The owner's manual which is available online should show you for both of them.

Latest posts

Back