Quantcast
Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

582 DEAD. Cannot get starter to turn.

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

dkline

displayname
Daniel J. Kline
Thank you Tony! The light is bright when the alligator clip is on negative terminal and the key is turned to start. I will look for an old Ford solenoid.
So should I try to jump to start the tractor so I can move it?

dkline

displayname
Daniel J. Kline
I did use jumper cables to connect to the power and the starter. Tractor started just fine.
It is now in its new shelter. So now I must find the replacement part.
I appreciate everyone's help.
Dan in Richmond, VA

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Dan, that is excellent news! Glad you got it figured out.

Good work team!

IH_Thumbs_UP_WHITE.gif

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
Sounds like you got it!
Replace the solenoid.
Good news

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
You jumped the two large terminals on the starter solenoid to accomplish the crank?
OK, take a step back... Take a meter or light tester, one side on Ground, other side on that small terminal on the Starter solenoid. Turn key to start and see if you get voltage to that terminal. If you do then that solenoid is bad If you have trouble getting a new one in a hurry, these are old standard Ford starter solenoids. Look up, for instance, 1991 Ford Explorer starter solenoid. Same same
Tony - some of those '91 Explorer solenoids have 4 terminals. Pretty certain the Cub Cadet version has 3. Does it make any difference? I'm not a Ford guy and don't know what the 4th terminal is for.

snicklas

displayname
Scott Nicklas
Normally, the 4th (small) terminal is a ground. The 3 post are grounded through the case. So if you were to try one, and left the one terminal open and it didn't work, I would run a jumper from the 4th terminal to a clean mounting screw......

mfrade

displayname
Mike Frade
If using a Ford solenoid. There is a difference and it is not a ground. It feeds battery power to the coil during engine cranking. Fords used a resistance wire to supply power to the coil. To get a "hotter" spark during cranking, the solenoid will supply full battery power to the coil.

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
Tony - some of those '91 Explorer solenoids have 4 terminals. Pretty certain the Cub Cadet version has 3. Does it make any difference? I'm not a Ford guy and don't know what the 4th terminal is for.
No real difference when you connect the small wire to the correct terminal. These 4 terminal solenoids just have an added function. Trying to remember.. I THINK you want to attach the Starter Switch wire to 'S'. While the forth terminal 'I' would be for the ground on Ignition Coil. So ignore terminal 4