• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

582 DEAD. Cannot get starter to turn.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Tony! The light is bright when the alligator clip is on negative terminal and the key is turned to start. I will look for an old Ford solenoid.
So should I try to jump to start the tractor so I can move it?

I did use jumper cables to connect to the power and the starter. Tractor started just fine.
It is now in its new shelter. So now I must find the replacement part.
I appreciate everyone's help.
Dan in Richmond, VA

Dan, that is excellent news! Glad you got it figured out.

Good work team!

IH_Thumbs_UP_WHITE.gif

You jumped the two large terminals on the starter solenoid to accomplish the crank?
OK, take a step back... Take a meter or light tester, one side on Ground, other side on that small terminal on the Starter solenoid. Turn key to start and see if you get voltage to that terminal. If you do then that solenoid is bad If you have trouble getting a new one in a hurry, these are old standard Ford starter solenoids. Look up, for instance, 1991 Ford Explorer starter solenoid. Same same

Tony - some of those '91 Explorer solenoids have 4 terminals. Pretty certain the Cub Cadet version has 3. Does it make any difference? I'm not a Ford guy and don't know what the 4th terminal is for.

Normally, the 4th (small) terminal is a ground. The 3 post are grounded through the case. So if you were to try one, and left the one terminal open and it didn't work, I would run a jumper from the 4th terminal to a clean mounting screw......

If using a Ford solenoid. There is a difference and it is not a ground. It feeds battery power to the coil during engine cranking. Fords used a resistance wire to supply power to the coil. To get a "hotter" spark during cranking, the solenoid will supply full battery power to the coil.

Tony - some of those '91 Explorer solenoids have 4 terminals. Pretty certain the Cub Cadet version has 3. Does it make any difference? I'm not a Ford guy and don't know what the 4th terminal is for.
No real difference when you connect the small wire to the correct terminal. These 4 terminal solenoids just have an added function. Trying to remember.. I THINK you want to attach the Starter Switch wire to 'S'. While the forth terminal 'I' would be for the ground on Ignition Coil. So ignore terminal 4

Sad to say here I am again needing your help with my electrical problems on my old 582. Last October I got wonderful advice. I just read through it all again. Everyone was so generous with help. I am so grateful.
However my Cub is still not running. I put in the solenoid in the dead of winter, but that did not solve anything. So it has been parked, and so have I. But now I need it. It has many uses around my urban farm. The solenoid I got at the parts store was identical to the one that was on the unit. I put the new in exactly as the old. But no problem was solved that I could tell.
So today I recharged the battery, which was new this past September. Went through all the steps again, but something is still not right.
So how do I begin again?

Start at the beginning.. Tell us again what it is doing or not doing, You replaced the solenoid... why?

Does it crank over? If it cranks does it have spark? Ball is in your court, what say you?

Lock brake. Turn key. Nothing.
New battery newly charged. Got solenoid based on the wisdom above in this thread. When key in start position, power goes to small terminal on solenoid. Solenoid makes no noise, closes no circuit to starter. So I replaced Solenoid. Power still comes to small terminal when key is turned.
Last time I jumped from battery to starter with key on It started and ran just fine.

Double-check to make sure your solenoid is grounded. Clean the area good so the solenoid case makes good contact with the frame. You could even use a small wire jumper from battery negative to the solenoid case to see if that helps. If you're getting 12v at the small terminal when you turn the key, you should definitely get a click when the relay closes to complete the circuit for power to the starter.

Lock brake. Turn key. Nothing.
New battery newly charged. Got solenoid based on the wisdom above in this thread. When key in start position, power goes to small terminal on solenoid. Solenoid makes no noise, closes no circuit to starter. So I replaced Solenoid. Power still comes to small terminal when key is turned.
Last time I jumped from battery to starter with key on It started and ran just fine.
If solenoid has 2 small posts for plug in wires 1 is ground.If it has only 1 the case of sol. has to be grounded.. try Gregs sugg.

So I ran a jumper from the bolt holding the solenoid to the negative terminal on the battery. Turned the key to start and still have no click or any sound from the solenoid. Power certainly is on the small terminal when the key turns.
Not sure what to do next.

If it starts when you jump from battery to starter, AND if there's 12V to the small terminal screw when you turn key to "start" position, I have to believe your new solenoid is bad.

Did you verify that your cable from battery positive to the solenoid is good, and you're getting 12V to the large terminal on the solenoid, too? (First thing I learned in electronics school is to never overlook the obvious!) If you have 12V to the large terminal on the solenoid, Gary's suggestion to jump the poles should spin the starter.

Large terminal has power. I will now jump the poles to see what happens.

When I jump battery to starter it turns. When I jump terminals on solenoid the starter turns. So I will go get another solenoid?

When I jump battery to starter it turns. When I jump terminals on solenoid the starter turns. So I will go get another solenoid?
my last comment...if you hold the switch in start position and have a jumper from the post on the solenoid that it fastens to and put the other end on wire to starter from solenoid it should crank.you said you were getting 12v from switch to solenoid.....this is a bypass of sol. but proves it's coming from switch.I'm not convinced it's not a ground situation....If it doesn't crank Greg is right because this would be a direct line from switch to starter....

Back