• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

580 16 HP B&S

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbaynes

displayname
Herbert Baynes
JUst post in wrong place sorry. But are these good enough to plow with, run a tiller, and maybe push some dirt and snow? What promble do they hace? Thamks.

Herbert, the 580 was similar to the older 582 Special. I believe the transmission is an aluminum Peerless built unit not the heavy duty cast iron rear end as found in an older IH built Cub Cadet. I'm not sure but I believe it used the same drive setup as the even older model 1100 which used a drive shaft to a 90° gear box then a belt drive to the transmission. Here's what the 1100 drive setup looked like.

236746.jpg

I have a 582 special and I belive it has a cast iron peerless transaxle in it as a magnet will stick to it.
Now that don't by any means mean they all have a cast iron transaxle in them.

And I aint 100% sure mine is cast iron.

Lonny, is the drive setup in the 582S like the one in the 1100 with the drive shaft to a 90° gearbox then a belt drive to the transmission? Do you think it's heavy duty enough to plow or till with? Even if it is cast iron, it's still not as heavy duty as the old Farmall Cub based transmission used in the majority of the old <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> built Cub Cadets...

I had an off color tractor with that same set-up. Used to push a snow/dirt plow and a snow thrower no problem. Not sure if it would handle "ground engaging" implements.

Cub Cadet Model 1100 Three Point Hitch Setup

Same transmission that was used in the Massey Ferguson MF10 and 12 non hydro garden tractors, LOTS of John Deere garden tractors, and many other brands of garden tractors. About using a belt that small and worrying about it holding up. Think back to the very first model Cub Cadet. And then look at the plans for the clutch (belt) on the Pow'r Pup garden tractor. Same A size belt only a different length.

Herbert B. The above are my observations throughout the years. My only thoughts are the only major problems that type of setup faces is prejudice based on the fact that it was a Cub Cadet with a "non-traditional" type of transmission. If you come across one and think that you'd like it then I say, "Go for it."
happy.gif

I don't have a problem with the belt in the drive system, (as long as it's not a twisted setup like the mower deck belt through the mule drive), it's the Peerless transmission I would be cautious of for doing too much ground engaging work like plowing. I believe there was a forum member that had an 1100 that he plowed with and was quite happy with it. I was unable to access the Parts Lookup last night but after a few minutes browsing today it appears that the 582S and the 580 use a different trans-axle than the 1100.

Kraig.
The trans is some what the same looking as the photo posted below, I would not be afraid to till or plow with it IF I had the equipment for it to do so.
But I do love the 4 speed trans as 3rd gear is just the right speed for mowing, 1st gear would be for snowblowing or tilling as it is super slow, kind of like a hi/lo gear box for a regular gear drive cub cadet.

I agree with Kraig M. on the twisted belt thing. I can't remember offhand which gear, either second or third will eventually wear out. Then that is where the expense comes in. You can't really purchase the single gear(s). It is actually cheaper to purchase the whole transmission new and if not all the parts are available and in most cases that is the axles then just swap out the new axles for good recondtioned used, have yours checked and recondtioned if needed install new seals, oil and you are good to go another 30-40 years.

Then do as John Deere and Massey Ferguson (& Dynamark's older garden tractors) did and add the variable drive system on the side and you'll have one sweet ride. We used to pull a loaded hay wagon with our MF10 when I was a kid. We didn't make a habit of it however it was neat to know the MF10 would handle such a job.

Yes the info was great and very helpful. I want to thank each and every one for their input. But I think I need to wait till I find one With a few peice of equment. I have one more ? what is the differance between 580 and 582?

Herbert, the 580 was the CCC (Cub Cadet Corporation) model number for their version of the old IH built 582 Special.

237094.jpg

BTW, there is also a Model 582 that differs from the 582 Special. Note the chart I posted below. I believe there is an error on that chart with regards to the regular 582 as it should be listed as having a 3 speed transmission.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig,

You are probably 100% correct; although the later 1606 came standard with the creeper, I am not aware of the IH or CCC 582 having that as standard equipment. The 1606 was the 1985 version of the previous series. With tremendous volume of them sold in PA and along the East Coast states it would make sense to have that for snow work and gardening.

Latest posts

Back