• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmiller

displayname
richard miller
Hello;I have a 382 cub.Model number 134383399.Serial number 03500370078621.It has an eaton hydro.Single cylinder briggs.I have no manual and know very little about it.I would like to know the year and horsepower.What should the cold oil level be in the cup below the seat?What type of fluid does the hydro take and what is the total capacity of the trans and rearend?Thank you.

Richard.
Hytran oil for the hydro pump, open the cup up and look inside of it, there should be 2 different oil level lines inside the cup indacating the proper oil level.

As far as what type of oil for the rearend its self I am not sure as I have not checked the oil level in the rearend of my 383 which is the same as the 382 as far as I know.

Richard M: Like all red 82 series units made after the sale in 1981, you have CCC made Lawn Tractor produced for and marketed by the IH dealer network.

A break down of the Model Number:

134 = CCC code for a riding mower made in 1984
383 = CCC number for a 11 hp Lawn Tractor with a Hydrostatic Transaxle
399 = Code for CCC built equipment for IH dealers.

The Serial Number:

035 IH Kind Code for a Lawn Tractor
0037 IH factory code for a 382H
U (the character after the numeral 7 should be a letter U) IH country of manufacture. U = USA)
078621 the one-up serial number issued by CCC in 1984.

Your Lawn Tractor came with a standard vertical shaft 11 hp B&S engine.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Richard M: Had to go to the library to check the fluid info.

The Operators Manual says:

1 1/2 pints in the Transmission.

2 3/4 pints in the differential.

The manual secifically calls for use of Hy-Tran. Available at your local friendly Cub Cadet Dealer or a Case IH dealer.

You also need to get your Cub Cadet Dealer to order you a MTD Form 772-3012 (IH 1096366-R3), Operators Manual for the 182, 182H, 382,382H Lawn Tractors.

A service manual and a parts manual is also available through MTD/CC.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Hello;I would like to thank you all for your information on the 382.I have looked at that cup and I can see no markings but my eyes are not what they used to be.There is no drain plug on the bottom of the transmission so I am assuming that the trans and rearend are combined.Are you sure about the oil? Hytran is a sundstrand product and this is an eaton.Thanks again.

Richad M: W R O N G!! HyTran was/is an IH product!!! It was used in all IH tractors for many years, including Cub Cadets with Sundstrand made transmissions . In fact, it was an IH trademarked product. The trademark is now owned by Case/IH and Cub Cadet can't use it. They have to call theirs Hydraulic-Transmission fluid (same stuff). Ya just might check with the original and only producer of HyTran. Go to www.viscosityoil.com of Chicago Il, and read all about it......You have an IH 382H and I stated that I was quoting from the IH Operators manual for the 382H.

Richard, "Ya are also gonna have to get them manuals"...The 382H is an excellent mower but there are no experienced technicians out there anymore for a 34 year old machine from a company that no longer exists. Most Cub Cadet dealers no longer have the technical information and many have never had it. You have to be your own best technician.

Cub Cadet dealers also sell some other types of fluid for later model Cub Cadets (Drive fluid, for example). Do NOT use the other stuff. The containers with correct Hydraulic-Transmissions have a red stripe across the label with those words in it. The other stuff uses a green stripe....The Case/IH stuff plainly says HyTran on the container.....and as above..both are produced by Viscosity Oil of Chicago.

Manuals should be available from www.binderbooks.com

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Hello Myron;Thank you for setting me straight on the hytran.I worked for sundstrand hydro for over 34 years and was always told that it was their own secret formula.It made sense to me because we designed and built the transmission.Who better to come up with the type of fluid to use than sundstrand, rather than have a company come in and say here is our fluid,design a transmission around it.Well the people that I worked with obviously did not know what they were talking about.Now back to the 382.The trans is definitely low which may be why it does not work well.I will get some hyd trans oil and try adding.If this does not work I may consider changing it all.I do know that it was run without a fan for a number of years.I do not want to put a lot of money in this thing and if the trans is bad it will cost more than it is worth.Thanks again to all who provided me with the information that I needed.

Latest posts

Back