• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

2182 becomes 3482 Hydro...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
I started a new project recently...another plowing toy.

It all started when I couldn't prevent myself from buying the 2182 Shultzie had listed a while back....I NEED another Super like a hole in the head, but the Kubota gas motor was intriguing and I have seen them pull....they pull like a 982, enough said.

As purchased...
266184.jpg

I decided on the way out to pick it up, that if at all possible, it would lose the plastic hoods and become an 82 series hybrid.

It had a few minor issues, bad tires all around, leaking radiator, and electrical system not charging made the top of the list. Santa took care of the rear tires and Miller took care of the fronts, all mounted on New Years Eve. Charging system was the victim of a horrible wiring harness at the VR, now working nicely on a stand-in 4-flat trailer plug, and the radiator was fixed at the local shop. Rebuilt the carb yesterday and it's running nice (but hate those fixed jets...in my mind it could be "fatter" at high end).

As it stands now...

266185.jpg

266186.jpg

I pulled the 982 Special (red 2072) beside it yesterday and took a few shots....

266187.jpg

266188.jpg

Plan is to install 82 series pedestal and hood sheet metal, leaving the Cyclops fender deck and saddle tank fuel cell. Looks like the sheet metal and pedestal won't be an issue, but the hyd. valves in the 82 series pedestal will due to the radiator positioning (I hate those new cheap valves anyway). There is room for them under the high deck fenders with levers in front of the rear tires at the curve of the fender deck. Of course, it will also need a 3 pt. and rear remotes to allow plowing with the semi-mount.

Hood will probably get 5088 style air ducts to move hot air from the radiator out from under the hoods (battery blocks lots of the front end) and the side sheets and pedestal will need to be vented to get cool air into the radiator. If all goes well the resulting look should be a cross between a 982, Cyclops, and 5088.......hence the proposed number 3482, after the 82 series and the only hydro in the 80's big tractor line up, the 3488 Hydro.

Plenty of work ahead, but should be a fun project.

Top view of engines for comparison...

266190.jpg

266191.jpg

3488 Hydro...

266192.jpg

BTW, Engine is the WG600B Kubota gasoline, 600CC / 36.61 cu in, 21hp at 3600rpm, Max no-load 3850rpm, and 30.5 lbft torque at 2800rpm.

By comparison the 982 Onan makes 30.86 lbft at 2800rpm and the stock 782 diesel makes 25.5 lbft at 2600rpm.......should make the Kubota gasser a solid performer!

Love it Steve! Can't wait to see the progress on this one!
popcorn1.gif

Solid idea. I've always wondered how Cyclops would look with a facelift!

82 series pedestal is on, as is grill casting. Only took minor modifications to get them to bolt on.

Hood is within 1" of closing, hitting air cleaner clamp bracket (easy fix).

Looks like the worst part of this will be the hydraulic valve.

BTW, Cyclops wiring harnesses are JUNK (well known fact)......wiring is heavy enough, but the connectors are complete junk. I ripped most of it out and powered up the main engine circuits last night...ended up with a pile of half melted connectors and enough extra wire to wire 5 or 6 older Cubs!!!!

Sorry, no pics.....

Steve, did you set the 82 series hood on the Cyclops dash tower? I just wonder how bad it fits. I priced all new plastic for my 1862 today. OUCH! I can buy a whole 782 for less.

Glen,

It doesn't even come close.....

Bought a replacement carb jet so I could play with "fattening up" the Kubota fixed jet carb. Had it on the bench when I rebuilt the carb, but do you think I can find it now??????? I remember "putting it in a safe place"....apparently so safe I can't find it now!!!!!!

One things for sure, I'll find it as soon as the replacement I order from the dealer shows up!!!!!

Probably not my day to buy a lottery ticket.......

Time and weather have been short.....getting back around to it
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Yeah Steve, that's the way my winter project has been.
err.gif

I need to get wheels on it and put it away for next winter.
angry.gif

Anything happening with project? I live vicariously through this site right now... I need a fix.

Latest posts

Back