• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1A? Tiller on a 1512

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgalante

displayname
Stephen Galante
I hope this is the correct place for this question. There are a few tillers in the classified section here. If I should add the 3 point hitch and sleeve hitch adapter to my 1512, would I be able to use these tillers, like I would the other sleeve hitch implements from the original tractors, or would it not work. There is a 1650 with a tiller that would solve all my problems in the classifieds, but it is over 800 miles away, and I don't have a good way of getting it here, or a place to house a second tractor (I know, there is always room for another Cub). If one of these tillers would work, without any additional modifications to my 1512, that would be great, but you guys are the wealth of knowledge, and I don't want to purchase something I can't use. Your help is greatly appreciated. SteveG

Your 1512 uses a Category 0 3-point that is different from what the older cubs use. There is supposed to be some way to convert the older IH Cub Cadet 3-point tiller to Cat 0. To put sleeve hitch attachments onto the Cat 0 3-point you'd need an A-frame adapter and then a little sleeve hitch that attaches to that. I don't have pictures of these, hopefully someone else does.

Stephen G:

The 1512 has an Aluminum Rear End. This is in contrast to the Cast Iron rear ends of the older Cubs (IH Built). In order to install and use Sleeve Hitch implements, the only way to accomplish this, would be to custom fabricate brackets. By doing this, it beefs up that aluminum rear end to handle the stress. Other wise, Matt is correct on the Cat 0 3 Pt Hitch.

There are 3 point hitches available for the 1512 and the sleeve hitch/"A frame" adapters also. I have someone on the forum that had them on a 782 and may be selling them to me.
63128.jpg

I hope that picture came through. I guess my questions boils down to, IF I got this 3 point hitch, (with the rock guard, that I believe protects my Aluminum rear end) and an A frame adapter, would I be able to use the tiller?

Hopefully that clears up any misconceptions you may have. Unless Roland, you are talking about having to custom fabricate brackets, Once I have these additions to my tractor. Thanks again, SteveG

Hold on. The tiller isn't a sleeve hitch implement. It attaches to the IH Cub Cadet 3-point. I have seen 1 782 with a Cat 0 and an IH Cub Cadet tiller, there was some sort of kit on it that adapted it to the Cat 0 3-point. Also an older IH 3-point and sleeve hitch adapter WILL NOT work because of the fuel tank. It blocks off the area where the cast upper link would mount.

Matt, I was not aware that IH had a "true" Cat O 3 point hitch, at least for the back of the 1450/1650 series. The 1650 in the classifieds looks just like the rearend of my fathers 1450 (that I am going to use the implements from) I know the rear end of my 1512 won't look like this.

I can understand if it won't work, I just want to make sure. It looks like it goes right against the rear end of the tractor, that is why I asked my original question. Thanks again for all your help... SteveG

Stephen G:

I have to apologize. I was thinking of this Tiller.

63138.jpg

My comments were based on this Tiller, and not the earlier ones.

Matt is correct, the IH built Tillers won't mount to the Aluminum Rear Ends.

So I guess that means the real answer is NO it WON"T go on the 1512. I understand the answer if it just won't fit, I don't really understand what the Aluminum rear end has to do with it, if either the rock plate (largest piece in the picture) protects the rear end, or if the rear end is of a different design. If those won't work, is there a Cub Cadet (or other non external powered tiller) that WILL work? I don't want to resort to a self powered unit. SteveG

1. The 3-point on an IH-built Cub Cadet isn't a Cat 0. I'm talking about this style 3-point.
63140.jpg

2. An IH tiller should fit with the proper mounting hardware. Like I said, there's some different lower links for the Cat 0 and brackets for the tiller that'll make it fit a tractor with an aluminum rear and a Cat 0 hitch. We may need to risk being poofed and ask this in the main forum where someone'll see it. A belt exists for a 782 with an aluminum rear and tiller combination, so it can be done.

3. The aluminum rear has more bolts holding the rear cover on, so the lower bracket of the IH Cub Cadet 3-point from a cast iron rear won't work. Roland, the upper part of the IH 3-point won't fit because on a diesel Cub, the fuel tank is under the seat and occupies the space where the cast upper link would reside.

Stephen G:

Here are the differences between the Rear Ends..

63144.jpg

63145.jpg

Besides the material that they were made of, the design and bolt patterns are all together different.

Stephen G:

Done some add'l research last night, and I found that you can install the older IH built Tillers on your Model, ....Providing that you have this:

63169.jpg

Thanks guys. Especially to Roland for doing so much homework for me. I was going to go down to the Cub dealer near me to see if he had the attachment brochure for my 1512, I wanted to see what may have been available when my tractor was new. I always have this forum, to try to find the parts. I figure I could pick up a few extra dollars up here in NY plowing. discing and tilling some of the small and medium size gardens people have in their yards around here. I live out near the country, and there are a number of people who grow their own vegetables in their back or side yards here. Hope my idea is a good one, plus it will give me the equipment to do a better job of breaking up my yard for leveling and replanting of grass. Thanks again everyone for your help. SteveG

The 1A tiller will go right on the 1512. Cub Cadet made a kit to put the older tillers on the new Aluminum rear end tractors with a Cat. O hitch. If you want I have the details at home and can send them to you when I get home.
I have a 2A tiller that I use on a 1811 and 2182 and it bolts right on. Just had to measure the belt as it was not factory for the super tractors

Ron, that would be great if you can send me the information you have. If you want, you can drop it in an email to me. If you need to copy it and actually send out hard copy, email me and I'll get you the address and I'll reimburse you. Quick question though. Will the tiller work (When I get one) with the 3 point hitch installed, or would that have to come off?
I actually do have some good news, I think. I went to my main Cub Cadet dealer on Monday (I have one down the street from me, but the one that does all the work on my tractor is about 30 miles away.) I was shooting the bull with one of the service guys and told him what I wanted to do and he told me to wait a second while he checked something in the back. He came out to tell me he had a brand new original Cub Cadet 3 point Hitch in the box that lists the 1512 as a model it fits. He told me it was part #389. Does that sound like the correct part(s)? I didn't get a chance to see the entire thing, but I am hoping it is the entire thing pictured below. They are asking $300 for it. I think that is a great deal? Am I correct?

63269.jpg

I think all I need to get after that, is the "A Frame" adapter to use my fathers plow, Disc & Cultivator from his retired 1450. Does anyone know what the part Number is for the A Frame adapter? I know they are available on the outside, I just figured this dealer may have that in stock also and give me a deal on it.

I have had my 1512 for 11 years now, and am just getting to know all it can do for me. Thank you all again so much for answering all these questions from a newbie, at least to this forum. SteveG

Stephen G:

YES...that 190-389 Hitch will work. Look at Column #2 of that chart I posted earlier.

Since I have not done this, I would suspect, that you have to remove the draw bar hitch and mount the tiller bracket to the CAT 0 Hitch plate.

In that chart, it lists Adaption Pkg #190-372. I have been researching that for clarification but haven't found any data yet.

The Mule drive is simply that same one as used for your mower deck. The belt and pulleys are obtainable parts.

Roland, I kind of assumed that the 389 was the same thing as the one in the second column of your chart. I did a part number search on the Cub Cadet Parts Lookup, and searched for 372 and there was a bunch of stuff that had 372 in the part number. I even tried calling the 800 number on the parts lookup to get a part number for it and the "A Frame" adapter since they only show it as individual part numbers, and they couldn't come up with a "package" part number like we have for the 3 point hitch (389). I will do some homework on my side and appreciate any help you can give me. This has been a great adventure so far. SteveG

I got my 389 3 Point Hitch all installed, thanks to much help form the people here and at my dealer. Well, I missed out on the 19X-372 adapter package that was available on ebay that I would need to attach a tiller. I just didn't bid enough, I put my bid in with about 2 minutes left to go, and got beat out in the last 37 seconds by 2 other bidders. It ended up going for around $78. Probably was a good deal. Since I didn't know what a good price on one was, I left my bidding off at $60 or so. I realize this should go in the classifieds, but does anyone here, make these adapters? I know Mike M. has made 3 point hitches, but I wasn't sure about this part. Also, I need to talk to my dealer about a nice Model 2 tiller he has. Looks pretty wide considering it doesn't have any extensions on it, so I am assuming it just came that way. I just didn't see a gearbox on it, (The other tiller he had didn't have a gear box either). If he doesn't have them, is that something I would be able to find, along with the Adapter kit? Thanks again for all your help through this process.

Does anyone know what parts comprised a 19X-372 Adapter package? I found a guy that is selling the lower bracket portion of the package. That is the only part he has. As you can see above, I already have the 19X-389 3 point hitch. I don't have a tiller yet, but if it is just a matter of getting a new belt and drive pulley, I may just get it, just in case I come across a decent tiller. I already have the mule drive from my 50" deck. I'm not really sure what the 485286R3 Lower support assembly is neither. I have to rush since it on that auction site. Thanks in advance. SteveG

I just called the guy selling it, and it looks like there is more to the kit that I would need other than this lower bracket. I just wasn't sure he was going to know what he was selling or talking about. Thanks anyways... SteveG

Latest posts

Back