• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1872 low compression, low power under load

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmhill

displayname
John Hill
Okay guys, on Saturday I mowed with my 1872 and 54" deck for the first time. I was mowing in heavy, thick grass and it seemed underpowered at times. Someone suggested that I check compression, which I did this evening. It only shows about 90 PSI on both cylinders. The engine runs great, with minimal or no oil consumption, and it doesn't smoke. There doesn't seem to be a lot of blowby, with only trace amounts of oil residue in the air cleaner. It does start hard sometimes, in fact, a couple times lately I had to give it a whiff of brake cleaner to get it to start. I believe the engine has about 700 hours. Any thoughts?

Check the RPMs, make sure it's all of 3650-3700 no load.

I'll second Steve's suggestion. It's amazing what 200 RPM too low will do to the power output.

Make sure all of the linkages are clean. I had lost some rpm on one of mine without changing anything since last year, I hosed it down with cleaner a couple times and it returned to normal

BTW,

I run a 54GT deck with Gators on a 782 with a Mag 18 (not a new motor by any means). 782 is on 26" rubber with power steering and SS axle, so it's basically a short frame 1872. 3650 RPM no load....

It's a horse on the 54" deck.......I can mow faster than I can cut cleanly (to my standards) without running short on power.

Latest posts

Back