• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mag 20 has same 3.12" bore as the Mag 18, but a shade over 1/4" more stroke, 2.75" vs. 3.06" which gives it about 5 more cu/in (42.18 vs 46.98). Compression ratio on the 20 is also higher, 6:1 vs. 6.6:1

The stroke and the CR make the 20 lug much better than the 18, a very noticeable difference on a hard drawbar pull like plowing (pushing it, not just loafing along). It's much like the difference between a 14hp K-321 and a 16hp K-341.

Looking down on an 18 and 20, the sheet metal on the jugs is noticeably different...considerably wider on the 20hp, otherwise they are exact twins.

Surprisingly, the Briggs I/C 16hp in the 582 is a very strong puller, in spite of it's larger bore and smaller stroke, it is a real machine in the 582 chassis. While the hydro/gear drive make it an unequal comparison......the engine is surprisingly powerful and smooth, but must be started and warmed up differently than the Kohler, Briggs are always more fussy until warmed up.

I believe the Mag 15 was a detuned 18hp and was used in a Cub Cadet 1541. I remember a lengthy conversation about it with a few others. Smaller carb and less RPM come to mind....but don't hold me to it. Carbs are different (15-18hp) in the parts manuals.

It was likely just a slightly detuned 18hp with smaller main jet, possibly RPM limited, and re-decaled to "compete" in the market.

Find one, slap a KT-17 adjustable carb on it, wind it up to 3600-3700 and have a "sleeper" Mag 18!!!!!

Steve B,
Thanks for the history lesson/knowledge on the Kohler twins. I have personally owned a 582 with the twin briggs and was also impressed. Original engine had aluminum cylinder bores (non sleeved) replaced it with a Briggs I/C 18 HP vertical engine, after swapping out parts from the original. (oil dippers, oil pan, and crankcase end cover all come to mind) What were they thinking making engines with aluminum cylinder bores?

Sounds like this 1806 is one of the most powerful gear drives build on a GT frame. As I recall the K series only had a 12hp in the 1200, the 582 had the briggs 16, and the 1806 had the Kohler Mag18. Should pull like no tomorrow.

1806 came with a 46" high vacuume deck along with the chutes and rear bagging ensemble. Anybody else ever owned one of these high vaccume decks? Took the plastic pulley covers off, there were 2 of them and they overlap in the middle and hide a maze of belting and idler pulleys. I have read about these decks in Hank Wills book showing them as optional, but never actually seen one. Most tractors have the 44C or 50C deck on them.

Well my 1806 no longer has the creeper, so it must now be an 1800. I have a feeling I might want a creeper to blow snow with it so someone will be getting my hard earned cash some day. I currently blow snow with a 1250.

Last night I assembled the new clutch and driveshaft, aligned the the motor and driveshaft with the trans and it looks like I made the drive shaft correctly. Tonight I hope to install the flex couplings I bought from Charlie in May of 2013, hook up the electical and fuel parts and maybe even start this thing.

You guys are making me excited to hook onto something and do some pulling or plowing - I'll need a rear lift. Does one of my wideframe rear lifts work on this? I currently have a rear lift on a 1250 and a 149 - does this 1806 use the same lift?

You will need a "double bend" 82 series manual lift bar, wide frame casting, and a 5 bolt lower sleeve hitch plate (see Aaron for one of those).

Without a creeper you technically have an 1803......

Yes, 1806 was the biggest gear drive built.

1606 replaced the 582, and 1604 the 582S.

BTW, Briggs used a lot of Aluminium parent bores....not my choice, but they had decent success withe them.

Steve,

Thanks for correcting my modified model number, I suppose it would be an 1803. But 1800 rolls off my tongue better, much like a model 1200 or 100.

Back to the drawing board on my drive shaft. Seems its too short. When I try to engage the clutch the flex couplings flex and the clutch does not dis-engage. Tough for me to easily measure but I think I made the shaft approx 3/4 too short. Maybe 1/2" I don't know for sure. Late last night I was not in the measuring mood.

If I solidly attached the drive shaft it works fine. I tested this by removing the flex couplings and washers and spacers between the 2 drive shaft coupler arms. So do I really need the flex couplers? I know Pullers remove flex couplings. Guys, please let me know your thoughts.

Another question, the 44" mower deck that came with this is in rough condition, I have a chance to obtain a deck from a 782, is it compatible, easy hook up?

I'll be sending funds Aaron's way soon for a lower rear rear hitch bracket, so I'll order the lift bar at the same time.

This will or can only happen if I get caught up on making Bag Toss Games...I'm starting on some cool Camo sets this week. Camo Deer Antlers, Camo with a Pumpkin, Blue Camo with a Fish, Pink Camo, just Camo ones. Only 24 hours in a day....

Vincent,

Whatever happened to your creeper? I guessing you removed it to use elsewhere or it was broken, making it necessary for you to fabricate a driveshaft?

MY creeper was in not good condition, example no oil came out when I took it off. MY thought was between mowing, pulling a trailer or wagon, and plowing. I would not need a creeper. I then sold it to a guy.

Unfortunately for me this 1806 has been abused, see the clutch picture and the flex couplings picture. I think I know why the flex coupling was torn and twisted so bad, the driveshaft(when I got the Cub) either was not correct or something, When I press down on the clutch pedal the new flex couplings do the same thing. I either need a new longer driveshaft or solidly mount it to the the transmission. Let me know what you think about mounting it solid to the trans, like the 126,106,104,124,122,102,100, and all the 7hp motored Cubs

Vincent,
MY thoughts are that if it was designed to be coupled with a flex coupler, then it should probably remain that way. Per previous post by Steve B this is the most powerful factor offered geardrive Cub cadet and I'm sure that any misalignment in the driveshaft will wear heavily on components. The flex coupling will help take shock load and provide some tolerance for our of alignment components.

I DROVE MY 1806 LAST NIGHT! First time in over a year. I was working putting it together during the Sunday night football game and at 11pm I took it for a drive up my driveway and back!

I think I'll be plowing with it at the Plowday in Montrose, MN!

Vince, Cubgratulations. My 1806 is still a basketcase. Oil leaks from the remote filter lines, front PTO seal leaks oil, etc......... Not to mention it needs several hundred dollars in clutch parts. If you get a chance, take pic of the front axle for the guys on the forum. I noticed MTD went ahead and put some bolts and jam nuts on each side of the axle to keep the axle from "rocking in the C-channel" Thought it was a pretty neat improvement by the CCC company to an age old issue.

Vincent- isn't it a great feeling to make that first run down the driveway after it has been sitting there in the garage or shed for awhile? I've been following this post between your tractor and Rob's for awhile now! It will be good to see these machines up and working. Once you have it plowing, you'll have to take some pics and post them here for us...

Keep up the good work!

Last night I poured new gas in the tank, started it and it ran great! Well after a tiny tweak of the carb it ran great. I'm not sure what the low idle speed is suppose to be, I set it at 1000 RPMs, and set the high at 3600. Second gear must be the 17 tooth gear so I won't be the fast plowing guy.

Sadly this morning I found a little puddle of oil under the front right, I tightened the upper oil line but cant get to the lower without removing shrouding.

I started to put on the rear lift and found my lift bar to the rear is not the same as my quietlines use. I'll hopefully get one within a week.

Rob, I seen those snubbers on the front axle and I tighten them a bit. I'll get pics soon, of course I also get plowing pics!

I hooked up to my Chevy Avalanche via a chain and burned a little rubber on my asphalt in 1st and 2nd gear, I guess my clutch should work for plowing.

The AL rear ends all came with 17T second gears.....shame, as with 16hp or 18hp in a 582/1606/1806 you can make good use of the 19T for both mowing and plowing!!!!!

Thanks Steve, I'll probably be looking for a Cast Rear with a 19T 2nd in the future to stick under my seat. Actually I'm in the midst of putting one together for my Model 1000 which now has a K341. It has Fine Spline Axles whenever I get it put together. Maybe I'll do the same for this 1806

I mowed with this last night! First time mowing with it for me. Worked perfect for approx 10 minutes then it died like it was out of gas - which I was on a side hill and there was not a lot of gas in the tank. The battery is rather weak and it would not start so I pushed it down the hill into the garage. New battery tomorrow and I hope to mow a bit, then take off the mower and hook a plow to it for plowing in Montrose this weekend.

OR did this die due to the Walbro Carb and the side hill? If so this will give me problems plowing. Does a 30mm Kohler Carb mount right up to this? One from a K341? It seems to look much the same.

Attached is a picture of the modification CCC did to the frame of a 1806 to prevent the axle from moving back and forth in the channel

290761.jpg

Vince,

If the left side of the tractor was "uphill", I'll bet it was just out of gas. Fuel pump could also be suspect if tank level was low.

I recently added a sleeve hitch and helper spring to my 582....waiting on a clutch teaser spring to arrive so I can smooooooooth out the engagement.....then it's time to play with the 10" Brinly!

Steve - yes the left side was uphill. Tonight I'll test it again with much more gas in the tank. I looked at the linkage of the Walbro Carb on this Mag 18 and of course its different than all my #26 Kohler Carbs.

After mowing I'll take off the deck and get it ready to load onto a the trailer Friday to go play with my 10" Brinly on Saturday, and my little 2 bottom plow too.

Rob, thanks for the picture.

Latest posts

Back