• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1572 Diesel Turbo Install

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, nice!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Thanks Rick, That's 3 of the 4 elbows Mike provides with the kit plus one radiator hose I got from Car Quest that had 2 ea. 90 deg's and 2 ea. 45 deg's......went together in about an hour without any AL welding (I don't weld AL) and a nice clean parallel layout. Reused the air cleaner hose, but reversed it to match the hose heights.

It gets gauges some time this week, Oil Press, Electric Temp, and Boost (0-15#).

I'm picking up some 1-1/2" weld elbows tomorrow to use on the exhaust......

BTW, I played around with the waste gate (for the heck of it)....you can make it whistle a tune!!!)

I think I missed it but, where or what did the turbo come from?

Steve, my old CubKub is in good hands! I'm anxious to come watch one of your plow days!

Thanks Cam!

Got the exhaust built this afternoon.

292837.jpg

292838.jpg

292839.jpg

292840.jpg

2ea. 1-1/2" long radius elbows and then I cut up the stock exhaust extension for the flange and brace.

BTW, did anyone realize that the 1-1/2" pipe on the stock extension is schedule 80???? I changed my hacksaw blade thinking it was dull, and when I got through the cut I realized it was .375" wall......jeez!!!!

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow"

Thanks so much for taking the time to post pictures of the turbo install .Time you took explaining how and why and helpful hints will help me and many others if they have a mind to make there smoker have a whistle. Post like yours is what makes this site the "best " . Thank you .

I agree with Don. The pictures and time took to do so are great.
I'm usually guilty of blasting through a project and....then think how I could have taken some pictures.
So it is greatly appreciated!

But, where is the duck call?

More progress.....

Gauges out....

292865.jpg

New gauges in....

292866.jpg

Exhaust pipe welded up...

292867.jpg

All of the exhaust components get painted high-temp black tomorrow AM before getting reinstalled for good.

Took it outside and ran it.

Gauges after idling for 10 min or so...didn't go over 200 deg.

292868.jpg

Makes 3-4 psig boost at WOT, no load. If I flogged the hydro on the driveway (just short of wheelie speed) it would jump to 8 psi!!!!!!

292869.jpg

Tire swap, Hi-temp black painting, and a bunch of clean-up in the garage tomorrow!!!!!!

Looks GREAT Steve!!
Geesch!! I'm even starting to feel a little warm on the forehead here!! And I don't even own anything that is Red!

Those Kubotas look like the same basic engine that was in my APU on the KW when I sold it after coming off the road. Bought new in '04 and the APU had over 7000 hrs on it of IIRC when I sold it and still going strong. of course, all the hrs were at the same RPM's.

Steve,
The turbo setup looks awesome! Looks factory. Once you get it finished up, you'll have to shoot a video. I'd love to hear the turbo whine. Gauges look nice and factory as well. What kind of tire setup are ya going with?

Done for now....

Swapped tires this morning (Carlisles look better under the big round fenders of the 2182), tightened up the front axle, and got the exhaust painted...

292878.jpg

292879.jpg

While I was swapping tires I took a few "all in the family" shots of the 1572 beside it's gas cousin 2182.

292880.jpg

292881.jpg

Looking at the 2182....lots of room near the exhaust manifold........Hmmmmmmmmmm?!?!?!?

292882.jpg

Steve,

Great job, and quick work with the turbo install. I hope to have an oilburning Cub one of these days. I think I have diesel running in my veins anyway..... Hope you see the fruit of your labor with the increased power, and the ever satisfying whistle of the "hair dryer"!!!!

Was the exhaust routed in the stock location, so the side panels can be reinstalled, or will the right side panel need modified to be reinstalled? Not a big deal either way, but for some reason, with me at least, if it came with the panels, they should be on there..... that is one reason I have tried some interesting solutions for the exhaust port issue I have on my 1450, so I can keep it "closed up"

On a side note. Nice job on 2182!!!!! It is really looking like a respectable Cub. I like the combo of the old and new, and the fact you disposed of all that blasted PLASTIC!!!!! Plastic should be used to contain your favorite tasty beverage, not the engine on a piece of machinery. Can't wait to see it all together. Hopefully a "782D" Panel will drop in on that one, to close it up also...... oh.... and the exhaust on the 2182 is pointing the wrong way..... LOL...... Not sure on your plans with it, but looking at your smoker, the 2182 should be red also, and I like the IH 82 series decals on it, with the proper model number sneaked in on the decal.... a set of 2182 decals like that would set the other one off!!!!!

Really look forward to seeing you drag the semi-mount around in 2016 with the turbo a howlin' and the coal a rollin', and if all goes well, maybe even in person!!!!!

Steve,
The exhaust turned out nice! Everything was done cleanly and it looks factory. The new rubber looks great as well. Turboing the 2182, hmmmm........
1a_scratchhead.gif
buttrock.gif

BTW, thanks for the email. Really enjoyed it.
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the comments everyone.

To be clear, Mikes kit takes the hard parts out of the install, and his adapter plates, pre-bent tubing, and hardware make the install very straight forward....he gets the credit for that!!!!

Exhaust did turn out well, but may need to be turned forward....it's LOUD now, with it going straight up in front of you.

It will get side sheets, possibly with louvers in the front section behind the radiator to help with heat issues. They will need to be modified, as the stock exhaust location is too far back on the sheet to be used with the turbo without leaving a big hole.

I turned up the pump some to account for the additional air, we'll see how it does......it definately blows black when you get on it hard now!!!!

2182 needs some work to get the sheet metal right. It will all have to be raised about an inch to make it work, and I need to figure out some air ducting for the rear mounted forward pushing radiator/fan. Hyd. valve also need a relocate due to the radiator, but I think I can get it above the hydro/under the rear fenders with fender mounted levers.....plenty of work, but now I'm motivated to get it going to match the diesel for a gas/diesel Kubota powered set of "twins".

Thanks again for all of the kind words! I may tackle the side sheets and 3 pt install early next week since I'm off for the holidays.....

Not Steve's turbo but on the same track Kubota Jacobsen manifold with a KKK that some one cut off the manifold,waiting for rebuild kit.
292969.jpg

292970.jpg

292971.jpg

292972.jpg

292973.jpg

Latest posts

Back